Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Submit Your Crash Reports to the Chronic Dev Team: Help With Untether!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

Let's keep the personal attacks away k people

FYI Confucious is not a kid. I wont reveal his age but I am 31 and he is older than me. Also when he says his "friends" he is referring to the iPhone Dev Team (MuscleNerd) as Confucious knows them pretty well (he is a moderator on their blog).

Not that I fully agree with his stance but he is entitled to it. I trust Chronic Dev as much as the Dev team personally.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Let's keep the personal attacks away k people

FYI Confucious is not a kid. I wont reveal his age but I am 31 and he is older than me. Also when he says his "friends" he is referring to the iPhone Dev Team (MuscleNerd) as Confucious knows them pretty well (he is a moderator on their blog).

Not that I fully agree with his stance but he is entitled to it. I trust Chronic Dev as much as the Dev team personally.
    First! If he's so wise then he should know what sending these crash reports entail. He sure acts like a know it all in every other post he submits here.Second! Tell your friend to ONLY use iPhone Dev Teams exploits then. I'm sure he used GP on 4.2.1 and would certainly use it now if they are the first to release an untethered JB for iOS 5.
    Maybe the personal attack was going to far but this guy constantly has to try and correct others, make himself seem SO intelligent (when it comes to idevices), and has no problem putting others down or attacking their integrity. He's not a moderator here so stop trying to act like one.
    I will agree that iPhone Dev Team are a great group of minds but so is Chronic Dev Team. There's no reason why he should get on here and lead others to believe that this development is not safe. All they are trying to do is HELP. In by doing so we need to help them as well. At least they're creating ways to get new info to further finding an exploit. Maybe it's just me but it's just irritating to see people try and stop the progress when they are somewhere whining that an untethered hasn't been released yet. If he's so great then go find an exploit yourself and leave Chronic Dev Teams stuff alone and just stop attacking their integrity and reputation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoEtikly For This Useful Post:

sziklassy (11-29-2011)

I think the point has been made that Confucious will not be using the tool.

Let's stop dragging this out so that the other readers do not look at this tool like it is some kind of malicious application bent on stealing personal information. The Chronic Dev Team is one of the most well known jailbreak teams beside the iPhone Dev team. There is no need to libel the name of, or bring questionable doubt to the Chronic Dev Team's intentions.

The Chronic Dev Team brought us the untethered iOS 4.2.1 greenpois0n jailbreak. The jailbreak was a legitimate jailbreak that worked unquestionably and to this day is still used. They are behind some large jailbreak tools, including this crash reporter tool. It will take a list of all of the stock iOS applications that have crashed on your iDevice and let them know where Apple has weak code so that they can find and use exploits in Apple's weak code to make an untethered jailbreak for us iOS 5.0 users.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

sziklassy (11-29-2011)

Just to purt the record straight - I trust and respect the Chronic team (and I have no doubt the feeling is mutual) I do not share my crash reports with Apple and am unsure iof it's wise to do so with Chronic. As theysay themselves, they do have problems with leaks.

I am hoping they will make the crash reports available to all - another reason why it might not be a good idea to share mine, but if they don't then an alternative might have to be found. Can it be turned off and 'private' crash reports not sent?

I am not saying I don't think it a good idea or that I mistrust Chronic, I just need to be 100% sure before I use it.

As for querying cudia numbers? Yes, so I discussed it with chpwn and he convinced me it was OK. I don't blindly do things without knowing the consequences.

It's been a long time since the iPhone Dev Team had problems with leaks, and I'd rather keep it that way.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

One question I do have is...
    If there is potential for this information to be useful, why are we just now getting a tool like this some three years down the road?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Crash reports have always been useful but they had enough - now they have fuzzers and other tools that can analyse the data and now they have better ideas as to what they are looking at they now believe they can cope with the numbers of reports they will get and find a use for them. 3 years ago they would have had no means of doing anything with them even if they had been supplied. People are learning all the time.
    Finding exploits is one thing, making use of them is another. They obviously think they can now.
    I just hope any exploits found don't get leaked to Apple and fixed before they can be made use of.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Thanks

@Confuscious you just keep digging man. You make it sound like you don't wipe unless someone tells you it's the right thing to do. My opinion, don't comment like that people will continue to flame you. Cause ya kinda do sound like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy....

I may be paranoid about security but so are my friends. That way nothing gets leaked.
    Chronic are not paranoid about security which is why so much of their undoubtedly good work comes to nothing.
    Would you prefer everyone to have such lax security? You would not have the JBs / unlocks that have been released if they were and if security were tighter then you might have far more jailbreaks.

Chronic know they can trust me not to leak anything publicly. Geohot knew he could trust me and the Dev Team and my brother Sherif Hashim certainly know they can trust me.

If I didn't make sure I was secure they wouldn't. You might not care - but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Liveitlive View Post
    I get a "ERROR: could not upload crash reports!" wtd now?
    i have the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Crashes are generally the result of poorly written or implemented code. This may be on Apple's side, or it may be on the dev's side who's app you are using (I'd get crashes all the time with various cydia apps). This may expose some holes that the team were previously unaware of.
    I wonder if crash reports from Cydia apps are any good?
    Cydia app = jailbroken iPhone
    So, you use a crash report from a Cydia app from a tethered jailbroken iPhone to find an exploit to create an untethered JB.
    Seems odd to me to do step 2 before doing step1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I may be paranoid about security but so are my friends. That way nothing gets leaked.
    Chronic are not paranoid about security which is why so much of their undoubtedly good work comes to nothing.
    Would you prefer everyone to have such lax security? You would not have the JBs / unlocks that have been released if they were and if security were tighter then you might have far more jailbreaks.

Chronic know they can trust me not to leak anything publicly. Geohot knew he could trust me and the Dev Team and my brother Sherif Hashim certainly know they can trust me.

If I didn't make sure I was secure they wouldn't. You might not care - but I do.
    And here we go with attacking Chronic Dev Teams integrity AGAIN! Well since the Chronic Dev Team trust you so much let's see what they say about all the screenshots of your comments on here about them. You can name drop all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere or make you look like any less of a douche. If you Reread ALL the posts you ever write here in MMI you'd notice a huge trend. Nobody likes you. I'd love to see modmyi ban you. Well I'm going to see just how much CDT trusts you right now...

I'm really not sure what your provlem is? I have said nothing that Chronic have not said themselves. They have lost so much of their hard work due to leaks. I have not 'attacked' them at all (nor would I), Just pointed out what they themselves have said.

Wouldn't it be easier to post a link to this thread rather than screenshots? Clogging uo their email seems a tad unnecessary.

Say hi from me

Thanks

"leaks" can be a number of things but NOT that their developments are security breaches or that they're going to use your personal information for malicious causes. Nice way to back pedal though. What you have been saying has NOTHING to do with what they've said themselves. Get real! What your entire purpose of your original post and several following is that CDT's developments are unsafe and basically that you and nobody else should trust them with simple crash reports. They're not getting your SSN, DLN, DOB, etc... only crash reports. So don't sit there and try to make it out as though everything you said was repeating what they already said about themselves.
    As for the screenshots, they can't be modified/edited now that I said I'm giving them over to CDT. That's why! As for what my problem is, well, that's quite obvious and if you have to ask that question you're much more dense than I originally figured.

Now I'm done wasting anymore time with you. I've said what I've needed to say and made my points clear to everyone and many of them are in agreement with me. Just drop your attacks on the CDT and go troll elsewhere because a lot of people are tired of your constant bs. Most of your posts on here are not helpful nor intended to be. You try to make others that post here look stupid, but honestly you only make yourself look incredibly pompous. Get over yourself. You are NOT your so called "friends" so don't try to be.

Confucious; the argument was ended with my last post. Please stop dragging the argument (deterred opinion) out in this thread. Your point has been heard. Some people disagree. There is no need to keep asserting the same argument after every post that disagrees with you. It's getting slightly old now.

You don't need to trust the Chronic Dev Team with your information (which heaven for bid isn't even an important bit of information), however you need to stop making it seem like they are not trustworthy. Sure; you can tell me that you are not saying that to any extent whatsoever, however newcomers who come here to read about this information have no idea what's going on and they will read your comments thinking that the tool proposes security risks when there are absolutely so security risks involved in crash reports without even taking the time to read the other information. This makes your distrust in the Chronic Dev Team implied (libel in itself – because you could be damaging their ability to find what they need to); especially towards newcomers looking for information. I am asking you to please stop talking in suspicion that the Chronic Dev Team could be irresponsible with your information. This isn't fair to them. They are trying to help us unlock the secret to an untethered jailbreak and you are saying things that might make people think twice about without just cause. There is no need to worry because there is absolutely nothing that a malicious hacker can do with a large heap of anonymous crash reports of stock iOS-only crash reports. No one will be specifically targeted in any way whatsoever in exploitation of their own personal information because no personal information is shared.

Please drop the argument now, everyone needs to walk away from this and let people who have legitimate questions about this application ask their questions and be answered.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234