+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Jailbreak iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1 With Ac1dsn0w

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard Right now it's in a beta stage. If you read my first post about the Pwn Dev Team releasing a jailbreak tool you'll see that
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Right now it's in a beta stage. If you read my first post about the Pwn Dev Team releasing a jailbreak tool you'll see that it's going to bring something new that no other jailbreak tool has ever had before.
    What make you so sure? It could just be another plain ole tethered jailbreaking tool.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

What are you talking about? He's asking if he updates to iOS 5.0.1 if he can downgrade to iOS 5.0 to get the untethered jailbreak.

This, you CANNOT do.

And also, you cannot UPGRADE to iOS 5.0. Apple no longer signs it.
    What are you talking about? My whole point was that he doesn't have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1. He can go online and download the ipsw file and restore to it. He is still on 4.2.1, and hasn't upgraded to 5.0.1.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    What are you talking about? My whole point was that he doesn't have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1. He can go online and download the ipsw file and restore to it. He is still on 4.2.1, and hasn't upgraded to 5.0.1.
    My end consensus, he will not be able to get onto iOS 5.0 as he was asking to do. Whatever you're saying doesn't appear to be on the same page as what I am explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
    What make you so sure? It could just be another plain ole tethered jailbreaking tool.
    You need to read my other article about it. They will be implementing a remote jailbreak application into it.

What makes me so sure? I spent the whole morning reading about the jailbreak tool on their Web Site so that I could write two articles about it.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What are you talking about? He's asking if he updates to iOS 5.0.1 if he can downgrade to iOS 5.0 to get the untethered jailbreak.

This, you CANNOT do.

And also, you cannot UPGRADE to iOS 5.0. Apple no longer signs it.
    I know you can't do this clean, but couldn't you cook a custom sn0wbreeze IPSW file and put the device through iReb, then do the shift+restore method using the custom sn0wbreeze IPSW? This way, the device would be on iOS 5 and already jailbroken tethered, wouldn't it? I was under the impression that when restoring using a custom firmware Apple's verification methods were not employed. I hope I don't sound stupid or disrespectful, because I certainly know that you know much more about this than I do A.B.. Just my "2 cents" ...if its worth that much....

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    I know you can't do this clean, but couldn't you cook a custom sn0wbreeze IPSW file and put the device through iReb, then do the shift+restore method using the custom sn0wbreeze IPSW? This way, the device would be on iOS 5 and already jailbroken tethered, wouldn't it? I was under the impression that when restoring using a custom firmware Apple's verification methods were not employed. I hope I don't sound stupid or disrespectful, because I certainly know that you know much more about this than I do A.B.. Just my "2 cents" ...if its worth that much....
    iOS 5 doesn't use SHSH blobs anymore, so custom firmware is useless.

Ac1dsn0w breaks copyright laws and for that, all links have been broken and removed.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-27-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1. Custom firmwares aren't a replacement for lack of SHSHs. They're used to preserve basebands, and restore/upgrade+jb both at the same time.

Regarding this article...I have to say, it's disappointing. Yet another tethered jb tool, just with a different name. Well hopefully with more devs and more tools, there will be a better likelihood of getting that untethered jb. Keep up the good work devs!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

You cannot update/downgrade/restore to 5.0 anymore. Apple is not signing 5.0 anymore and SHSH in their current form do not work (yet) on 5.0+

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I've heard some cool stories in my time. This one is probably the coolest, bro.

Yawnzor. Just what we needed. Another tethered jailbreak for old phones and iPads.

Edit: Yikes. Looks like its a sloppy "me too" that violates copyright laws as well!
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 11-27-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

it took a while but i see potential in this tool

Thanks

where is the 4s jb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    im not the only one that has an iphone4s right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

What in the ******* **** does and mean?

Seriously. Someone break it down.
    Last edited by Simon; 11-28-2011 at 05:22 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd View Post
    Unfortunately they achieve this by directly embedding Apple code in their program (15 times!). That's the kind of copyright infringement we stay away from. Hosting this app can lead to DMCA takedowns, etc.

(Anyhow, redsn0w doesn't need the IPSW for each tethered boot either..it fetches the images from Apple's servers once and then caches them.)
    That's interesting, because I'm needing to use the iOS 5.0.1 B1 developer IPSW to boot my phone despite the fact I've got the public version of 5.0.1 installed. I didn't think redsn0w was updated past 9.9.8b8

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default hey there hi there ho there
    I noticed your wallpaper looks neat, so I'm wondering where did you get it from?
    thanks lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WaLLy3K View Post
    That's interesting, because I'm needing to use the iOS 5.0.1 B1 developer IPSW to boot my phone despite the fact I've got the public version of 5.0.1 installed. I didn't think redsn0w was updated past 9.9.8b8
    If you actually read the instructions you would know that you should be pointing 5.01 at the 5.0 ipsw as the advice was not to upgrade to 5.01 - for everyone that followed the advice RS does not need an ipsw.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah as long as no untethered jb is available, all the said is nothing, we wanna untethered jb, not bla bla, w'r bored of 2 Much talk ........

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, I can say that, just based on the screens, the GUI looks much nicer than any of its predecessors.
    Well I jail broke my phone and it crashed! I restored it trough iTunes and know my 3G Internet doesn't work! Can anyone help!?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Calm down and go make your own jailbreak tool that is untethered for iOS 5.0.1 AND 5.0.2 with some rockin name, and PM me when you're done. The reason for untethered jailbreak for 5.0 is because 5.0 may carry exploits and bugs that iOS 5.01 may have plugged. iOS 5.0.1 was also a minor update, so there is no use in spending much time on it, when we know more updates are coming in the future.

that's funny, I never knew that one can DOWNGRADE from an old firmware to a new one. he's still on 4.2.1, therefore it WILL work for him to UPGRADE to 5.0.
    Listen Captain Jailbreak. This is a form about the iPhone, where people criticize and comment on the iPhone. I don't see you telling people to go build their own iPhone, because maybe they aren't happy with a feature or two.

It's a valid point that there doesn't need to be 13 different variations of "ra1n" or "sn0ws". There is just no reason for it. Secondly 5.0.1 corrects the battery issues that's been draining batteries like they were a box of koolaid. So no it's not such a "minor" update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you actually read the instructions you would know that you should be pointing 5.01 at the 5.0 ipsw as the advice was not to upgrade to 5.01 - for everyone that followed the advice RS does not need an ipsw.
    I read the advice and upgraded because I care more about battery life than an untethered jailbreak - when your battery life only drains 1% over three hours when the device is in standby mode, I'd rather take that over the minor inconvenience of needing a computer to boot my phone every three months. Also, the fact still remains that you need to point it at an IPSW to boot this software version when using Redsn0w.

Don't be condescending and assume that people don't know what they're doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    What in the ******* **** does and mean?

Seriously. Someone break it down.
    +1 yes please