+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony and Hitachi Teaming Up to Produce 4-Inch LCD for Future iDevice

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A Macotakara report today claims Hitachi and Sony have teamed up to supply Apple with 4-Inch LCD displays for a future unspecified iDevice The unspecified iDevice will hit the market
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sony and Hitachi Teaming Up to Produce 4-Inch LCD for Future iDevice

A Macotakara report today claims Hitachi and Sony have teamed up to supply Apple with 4-Inch LCD displays for a future unspecified iDevice

The unspecified iDevice will hit the market in 2012 and utilize a 4" display according to Macotakara’s sources, leading us to believe the unspecified device is the iPhone 5. The report makes the unprecedented claim that the two companies will merge their business with Toshiba Mobile Display Co., to form “Japan Display” in the spring of 2012.

The report marks a third separate confirmation that Apple is working with LCD manufacturers to produce a new LCD technology in the vein of Sharp’s IGZO (indium, gallium, zinc) most likely used in the next iPad.

It appears the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 component rumors will only get worse from here. Best guess right now, the iPhone 5 will come out next year with a 4 inch display and tear-drop design and the iPad 3 will sport a IGZO retina display and the A6 processor will power both.

But, expect rumors of NFC capability, 4G connectivity, built-in projectors, and compatibility with a nonexistent Apple TV to plaster headlines in the coming months.

Source: Apple Insider, Macotakara
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    Remember people, it's a best guess. There is no conformation on anything speculated in this article. Yet, people will take any kind of information and twist it to create rumors...
    Dont want to get hyped like 4S thinking it was going to be iphone5 and fail to the expectations created by rumors.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol I don't really want the rumor mill to start up yet, but your last paragraph made this worth it I read at iPad 2's release how straining it would be to use the iPhone 4 's screen technology on a larger scale, so I guess this might confirm what we suspected then. I think they're looking for something much more energy efficient for big devices. But, I guess Apple greatly benefits from owning a cutting-edge LCD technology. If they make something that changes the game, they could own the market on phones, laptops, monitors / all in one computers, and perhaps even TVs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When are we going to accept that the number 5 has absolutely nothing to do with with the upcoming 6th generation iPhone? Am I seriously the only one who sees that the "iPhone 5" name died the moment the "Lets Talk iPhone" event ended? We already have a 5th iPhone Mr. Swanson.

Thanks

I hope they release at least one revolutionary device next year. They only problem is apple has an extremely stable platform and standardized device specs in terms of screen size, that any large departure in form factor will create a stratification in their phone and tablet lineup. But, to truly innovate and satisfy customers, something new will have to be done. Apple can only get away with an iPhone 4S every other year.

Thanks

You will never see an iphone beyond 3.5 inches, this has already been discussed before, it would require all apps to be rewritten to accept larger resolutions, IOS apps do not scale properly to different resolutions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    You will never see an iphone beyond 3.5 inches, this has already been discussed before, it would require all apps to be rewritten to accept larger resolutions, IOS apps do not scale properly to different resolutions.
    It would require a rewrite of almost every app and would drive a huge rift through the App Store, agreed. I think Apple would smart enough to keep the screen size ratio (2:3 -> width:length) so as not to make a redesign particularly grueling... then again, I expect the 3GS not to be supported when the next phone comes out, so there will be the same number of resolutions in the wild then as there are currently.

It's quite the game of tradeoffs.

Thanks

This 4" screen is for the iPad3!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redline11786 View Post
    When are we going to accept that the number 5 has absolutely nothing to do with with the upcoming 6th generation iPhone? Am I seriously the only one who sees that the "iPhone 5" name died the moment the "Lets Talk iPhone" event ended? We already have a 5th iPhone Mr. Swanson.
    I agree 100%. Everyone keeps saying "iphone5" and I'm like.... Wtf are you serious? It's the 6th generation iPhone. Not the 5th.

Thanks

But 5 comes after 4 - i was surprised they called the 5th Gen phone the 4S but I wont be surprised when they call the 6th Gen the iPhone 5
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

. +1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    I agree 100%. Everyone keeps saying "iphone5" and I'm like.... Wtf are you serious? It's the 6th generation iPhone. Not the 5th.
    No it is the fifth. After the 3G came the 3GS and after that came the 4, then came the 4S. So according to the current trend it is most likely the iPhone 5 that will be released next year.
    Last edited by Adayday; 11-27-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adayday View Post
    No it is the fifth. After the 3G came the 3GS and after that came the 4, then came the 4S. So according to the current trend it is most likely the iPhone 5 that will be released next year.
    what about the iPhone 2g 3G 3GS 4 4s it looks to me like the next iPhone will be the six generation iPhone

Thanks

I think it will be called the iPhone 4GTi

Does it matter what it's called? Until it is announced, calling it the iPhone 5 is as good as anything. They might call it the iPhone Poodle for all we know.

Thanks
    It will be iPhone 5. Get over it. 3G,3GS,4,4S .. 5.
    Last edited by Tomcat50; 11-27-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I think it will be called the iPhone 4GTi

Does it matter what it's called? Until it is announced, calling it the iPhone 5 is as good as anything. They might call it the iPhone Poodle for all we know.
    No, it doesn't really matter what it's called, but I think calling it the 5 would be a bit silly. The 4 was name such because it was the fourth generation. The 4S is currently the fifth generation. I don't see them calling the next one the iPhone 5. It just doesn't make sense.

That said, this is a forum for discussion and speculation. Hell, that is what this article is all about. People should be free to speculate whether it will be called the 5, 25, or 5000 along with all of the other inspector gadget options people want to see in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat50 View Post
    It will be iPhone 5. Get over it. 3,3GS,4,4S .. 5.
    There was never an "iPhone 3"...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Corrected missed the G off it. You get what I mean.

Also I'd argue the 4s wasn't a new generation. Just an improved 4.
    3G and 3GS was different as it added gps.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So by your logic, the iphone 4 would be the 3rd generation, since the 3GS doesnt count...fine (I guess), but then explain why the "4" is in the name of the phone? the point is that when Apple release the iPhone 4, they also released the 4th version, generation, iteration, whatever you want to call it. by the time the 6th version, generation, iteration, whatever comes out putting the number five anywhere in the name would be just as stupid, weird, ridiculous as the iphone 4 being named the iphone 3.

Bah! I just cant see how people are arguing this? it hurts my mind...I'm just going to stop now and leave these as my parting words of the subject: No one here can put any name on the next iphone that is coming out...why are we doing it? when we need to speak about things like these that go unnamed it just easier and less confusing if everyone referred to them in their generations. then everyone knows what everyone is talking about (just like the iPods!!!!!!).

Good-bye cruel world...
    Last edited by redline11786; 11-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Generations, for Apple, are basically yearly releases. Look at their iPod line. They are entered as gen 1, 2, 3 etc. in their systems regardless of whether there was a hardware refresh. It's pretty clear that the 4 is called the 4 because it is the fourth generation. What other reason would there be to officially call it the iPhone 4? Stranger things have happened, but it simply wouldn't make sense naming next year's model the iPhone 5 based on how the 4 got its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Adayday View Post
    Official names (termed by Apple) are as follows:

iPhone - 1st Generation
    iPhone 3G - 2nd Generation
    iPhone 3GS - 3rd Generation
    iPhone 4 - 4th Generation
    iPhone 4S - 5th Generation
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

You're right we have a "5th" iPhone, but is it the iPhone 5? Apple's naming pattern is already well established with the 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S. I don't foresee a major departure from this anytime soon. Can you imagine the marketing fluster cluck that would ensure if Apple released an iPhone 6 as the next iPhone?

Bottom line, Apple will name the next iPhone the iPhone 5 and it will be the 6th iPhone released.