+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chronic Dev Team Releases Crash Data Recovery Tool for Exploit Discovery - Lend a Hand

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Chronic Dev Team released a crash data recovery tool that is useful for collecting crash reports that may help with future exploits. As hinted by Joshua Hill (@p0sixninja) a
    Thanks

Default Chronic Dev Team Releases Crash Data Recovery Tool for Exploit Discovery - Lend a Hand

The Chronic Dev Team released a crash data recovery tool that is useful for collecting crash reports that may help with future exploits.

As hinted by Joshua Hill (@p0sixninja) a few times on his Twitter profile over the past couple of weeks, the Chronic Dev Team has been working on something behind the scenes, unrelated to an actual iOS 5 untethered jailbreak. Although the sensationalism in Josh's recent tweet made it sound like a jailbreak, it is not the case. Instead, it is a crash data recovery tool which is a potential component for discovering new and useful iOS exploits - a stepping stone towards better and faster exploits.

According to the blog post on the Greenpois0n website, Apple pushed hard and patched a few critical exploits between iOS 5 betas on October 12, crippling the team's progress and ability to release an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak at this time. The team is fighting back by issuing weapons of mass exploitation - a tool for users to send useful crash reports to the team.

The Chronic Dev Team has built and released an application (known as the CDev Reporter) that pulls crash reports off your iOS device and sends them to the Chronic Dev Team's servers. In the process, your iTunes configuration is changed so that diagnostic reports are no longer sent to Apple. This prevents further connection with Apple in order to ensure crash reports are gathered appropriately by the Chronic Dev Team. Here's the download for both Mac and Windows below:

CDev Reporter - Mac
    CDev Reporter - Windows

Lend them a hand and utilize the tool whenever possible. You have an opportunity to ensure a brighter jailbreak future - how will you exploit this opportunity?

Source: Greenpois0n, Joshua Hill
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 11-28-2011 at 01:51 AM.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

As soon as a Windows version is up and running, expect to definitely lend them a hand. This is a BRILLIANT idea, by the way, on the part of the Chronic Dev Team. Just hope an update to iTunes doesn't kill it, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    As soon as a Windows version is up and running, expect to definitely lend them a hand. This is a BRILLIANT idea, by the way, on the part of the Chronic Dev Team. Just hope an update to iTunes doesn't kill it, lol.
    Absolutely! A lot of our users are on Windows as well, so when the Windows version is out, we'll be sure to let peeps know.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Awesome! I can't wait to try it. Viva la revolucion!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 917 Posts

Get the windows version up...and I'll be helping

Thanks

did it updated my 600 crash reports

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really don't mind tethered jailbreaks after actually doing one. I, like most people, never reboot my phone and on the occasion that I do I just have to plug it in and it only takes 1 extra minute. I think everyone should just tether if you want a jailbreak because it really is barely any different.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

742 crash reports on the way!
    Last edited by CaptBojank; 11-27-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks

1059 on the way if it ever goes thru without error

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Ill totally help

Thanks

I think I'll wait until I have a bit more information....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adayday View Post
    I really don't mind tethered jailbreaks after actually doing one. I, like most people, never reboot my phone and on the occasion that I do I just have to plug it in and it only takes 1 extra minute. I think everyone should just tether if you want a jailbreak because it really is barely any different.
    I agree. I was very hesitant to perform the tethered jailbreak but once I have, I would definitely do it as long as I need to and will do it in the future if need be. The semi-tether is an awesome option for jailbroken devices too... I've had to use my iPhone for two days on the semi-tethered mode and everything worked great.

I

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

^^ ditto confy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea I definitely would love an untethered jailbreak but after trying a tethered one for the 1st time on the 4 it's not that bad. Especially as mentioned above with semi-tether. Also I would like to say Hi to everyone, I've been coming here for yrs reading and decided to create a profile.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Tethered jailbreaks are not really that bad. I am typing this on a iPod tethered right now!

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,173 Times in 832 Posts

how did you all have so many crash reports, I only had 135

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adayday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    I agree. I was very hesitant to perform the tethered jailbreak but once I have, I would definitely do it as long as I need to and will do it in the future if need be. The semi-tether is an awesome option for jailbroken devices too... I've had to use my iPhone for two days on the semi-tethered mode and everything worked great.
    The problem is that sometimes certain apps require a reboot. Like when you install or remove Winterboard. And also sometimes MyWi will require a reboot to start up the service. My dad refuses to update or jailbreak his iPhone until there is an untethered jailbreak bc the MyWi app will oftentimes require a reboot.
    I will definitely be sending my crash reports as soon as the windows update is out. I imagine this will do more than just give hackers an advantage in jailbreaking. This could probably also lead to bug fixes in several applications now that developers can gain access to the crash reports for their apps from more than just beta testers..

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

I 2nd this... Once windows version cones out... I'm getting it! Anything to help us get jailbreaks faster..

I'm also tempted from read other people's post.. Updated from 4.3.3 un tethered JB to 5.0.1 seeing as people say it's easy and I never restart my phone.
    Last edited by spooneditr; 11-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

when i try the link i just get rerouted to apple.com iphone4s with no download happening but i am using the WIFI at the apple store so maybe they blocked the site and did a forward ip