+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Security Expert: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 991 Times in 731 Posts

    Default Security Expert: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever

    Android has a lot of malware available, and continues to adopt more. How long will iOS be malware-free?

    iOS has been the most secure mobile operating system for many years. People will deny that, but to an extent it's true. An unjailbroken iPhone has no way of installing applications outside of Apple's App Store, and the applications that get into the App Store are topped with a layer of extreme scrutiny by the people who accept and reject the applications into the App Store. Android, on the other hand, can install applications that are not on the Android Market by either remote intentions or by the user themselves. Because of this, Android has the better chance of being infected by user ignorance. iOS users have it good in that applications which are accepted into the App Store are checked thoroughly for functionality. There have been rare cases when applications 'with a little extra' have been sneaked into the App Store. Such cases include PayUpSucker which would let you tether your data for free even though it claimed to be an I.O.U. application. Even though this has happened, users weren't complaining because it didn't do anything bad – the developer added the functionality to give people who do not jailbreak their phones the opportunity to have a way to use their data freely.

    Android on the other hand, has a myriad of drive-by-malware no matter where you turn. As Phillip Swanson reported not too long ago, Android malware hits are up by 472% since July while iOS remains untouched. So what does this prove?

    Not much, but it is hard data. It shows that Android, being a popular operating system and also being easy to install things on, is an easy target for hackers with malicious intentions. Security expert, Bruce Schneier, doesn't see iOS being secure from malware forever. As hackers become more and more accustomed with the way that iOS works and as long as jailbreaking is legal, hackers will learn more and more about what makes iOS tick. As hackers become more and more able with their abilities, they can turn to the dark side. That's not to say that jailbreak hackers will do so, we trust them with our devices because they hack for the greater good of all of us. But, there are evil hackers out there. Bruce Schneier had this to say about iOS and malware:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schneier
    I believe that smart phones are going to become the primary platform of attack for cybercriminals in the coming years. As the phones become more integrated into people’s lives they’re simply going to become the most valuable device for criminals to go after. I don’t believe the iPhone will be more secure because of Apple’s rigid policies for the app store.
    How long do you think it will be before iOS starts hearing a tumult of malware? Share in the comments below!

    Sources: Redmond Pie

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    I am the first to state that the Android Malware situation isn't a big deal for those who have even a modicum of sense when installing applications, but how does any of the information we currently have lean towards the conclusion that iOS will soon have some sort of rash of malware? Are we just thinking that, historically, malware is written and therefor it will be written for iOS at a faster rate? The safety of iOS is the fact that you can't do a darn thing that Apple hasn't given the green light for out of the box. For some users, this is crucial, and that is fine. In the grand scheme of things, there are so few people jailbreaking, that I don't see it ever becoming as big of an "issue" as it has on Android.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    You will stay virus free on the iOS as long as you stay away from those shady sources on cydia.

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I don't understand why this site has to be so anti-Android. I come here to keep up with this jailbreak community and every other new article has some attack on Android. It may not be as blatant as "Android Sucks", but the tone is there. The iPhone is great and anyone denying that is an idiot, but that doesn't mean that Android isn't great as well. Just cause you like Ice cream doesn't mean you have to hate on Jello. Yes Android has more malware than iOS. But anyone dumb enough to download an app called "Free Money 4life" (not a real app, I think) is just not thinking. I have an Android, not by choice but because my wallet isn't as deep as many, and I think its great none the less. Who cares if Android copied iOS? Is the bat less of a flyer just cause it has wings like a bird? If you think that iOS or OSX is completely original then you are wrong and same for Windows or whatever it maybe. Each phone has its benefits and to compare what's better for you is up to you. Android is great, iOS is great, get over it.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by epikarus View Post
    I don't understand why this site has to be so anti-Android. I come here to keep up with this jailbreak community and every other new article has some attack on Android. It may not be as blatant as "Android Sucks", but the tone is there. The iPhone is great and anyone denying that is an idiot, but that doesn't mean that Android isn't great as well. Just cause you like Ice cream doesn't mean you have to hate on Jello. Yes Android has more malware than iOS. But anyone dumb enough to download an app called "Free Money 4life" (not a real app, I think) is just not thinking. I have an Android, not by choice but because my wallet isn't as deep as many, and I think its great none the less. Who cares if Android copied iOS? Is the bat less of a flyer just cause it has wings like a bird? If you think that iOS or OSX is completely original then you are wrong and same for Windows or whatever it maybe. Each phone has its benefits and to compare what's better for you is up to you. Android is great, iOS is great, get over it.
    Nothing about this article is anti-Android. All it does is list facts about how Android malware has increased and then asks at the end how long you think it will be before iOS 5 starts seeing malware.

  6. #6
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    Nothing about this article is anti-Android. All it does is list facts about how Android malware has increased and then asks at the end how long you think it will be before iOS 5 starts seeing malware.
    I'm pretty sure he's just speaking to the general tone of this site and biased and often times flat out founded comments/stories.

  7. #7
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Really? An expert is needed to tell us that software will eventually have malware? This just in, water is wet.

  8. #8
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 991 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Really? An expert is needed to tell us that software will eventually have malware? This just in, water is wet.
    Of course not. It's just a source of information. Give it time; everything in the world has its exploits.

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    I agree with above statement as long as you stay away from bad sources on cydia then your good . Unless some way u get a bad app like umm stock cant remember the ful name the one that guy found a bug in ..but still need someone to know u had that app on your device .

  10. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts

    **** android. Apple for life!!! Ios or die!!! Haha i have both and i hate android. Tryin to sell my galazy S. its trash. Whos first to bash me for my own experience laden opinion? Im sure someone will.
    Last edited by Orby; 11-26-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Language, please.

  11. #11
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,866
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 991 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    Fuark android. Apple for life!!! Ios or die!!! Haha i have both and i hate android. Tryin to sell my galazy S. its trash. Whos first to bash me for my own experience laden opinion? Im sure someone will.
    I'm sure they will too

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    "Security Expert: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever" You don't have to be a security expert to figure that out. Its actually extremely obvious for anybody who knows anything about computers. The title should be "Captain Obvious: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever"

  13. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    It takes an expert to figure that out >.< I mean I'm an Apple fanboy but seriously... no OS will be virus free forever. Heck, there's already been viruses and exploits for iPhone. Seriously. Lamest. "Professional". Ever.

  14. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    "Security Expert: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever" You don't have to be a security expert to figure that out. Its actually extremely obvious for anybody who knows anything about computers. The title should be "Captain Obvious: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever"
    "Captain Obvious: iOS Will Not Be Malware-Free Forever because it already isn't"

    Did people forget about the OFFICIAL APP STORE games that were stealing your contact information and uploading it to the developer before Apple canceled their account, pulled their apps, and sent the "delete" killbit?

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    im an apple fan man, i love the ecosystem and such, but even i can admit that IOS isn't virus free. Anyone remember the Ikee virus, i do, i got infected. i woke up one day to find that no matter what i did my wallpaper and contact images were all Rick Astley. oh yeh, i got rick roll'd.

  16. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'm sure they will too
    so true. i keep buying the latest android phone every time apple comes out with a new phone. I always go back to the iphone within a week. android sucks. it's not even close. i don't care what anyone says, I know from personal experience android phones are inferior. just like sprint has a lot slower network than att. I'd take an iphone 3gs over any android phone on the market today.

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    those that end up being affected, both in iphone and android, are usually those who download and install dozens of apps without even reading a review, and not even checking the source, for those, there will always be malware
    Last edited by aniphonish; 09-21-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Waiting for my all in one iphone-ipad-ipod-imac.

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by firedell6 View Post
    You will stay virus free on the iOS as long as you stay away from those shady sources on cydia.
    WOW how would you know and are they truly a problem for the OS that never gets Viruses? LOL

    I suspect that IOS is vulnerable once JB
    Much less if Not JB
    Apps themselves are the cause of headaches not viruses
    My wife's and Son's captivate both over a year no problems Rooted and all

    (yes she has a free 3GS now the captivate is waiting as a back up if needed )

    My PC with Win 7 and free MSE no viruses before that maybe on threat a year
    I think all this virus stuff is over rated and over done so people can make boat loads of $$$$$ based on unfounded fear they create

    Most PC problems are related to programs/applications and poor programing not viruses

  19. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am the first to state that the Android Malware situation isn't a big deal for those who have even a modicum of sense when installing applications, but how does any of the information we currently have lean towards the conclusion that iOS will soon have some sort of rash of malware? Are we just thinking that, historically, malware is written and therefor it will be written for iOS at a faster rate? The safety of iOS is the fact that you can't do a darn thing that Apple hasn't given the green light for out of the box. For some users, this is crucial, and that is fine. In the grand scheme of things, there are so few people jailbreaking, that I don't see it ever becoming as big of an "issue" as it has on Android.
    this

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts

    Actually, there is a lot of malware that has hit Apple's devices, some have even been reported here. There are numerous accounts of Apps in the app store that would send IMEI, contact lists, personal phone numbers, credit card numbers, etc. without even so much as asking if it was ok to do so.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts