+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Want to Search Google From Anywhere On Your iDevice?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] Want to Search Google From Anywhere On Your iDevice?

How would you like to be able to invoke a Google search from anywhere on your iDevice?

InstaURL is a new jailbreak tweak by William Vabrinskas that lets you perform a Web search from anywhere on your iDevice using an Activator action. You are not limited to Google, there are more searching options in the Settings of InstaURL; Google, Yahoo, and Bing. You can invoke any Activator action that you want to. Just select the Activator option that you want to use, invoke it, and type what you want to search the Web for. It's that simple. The settings of InstaURL can be seen below:

InstaURL is very handy if you want to perform a Web search very quickly if you want to prove someone wrong. Granted, there will be the people who would rather unlock their devices and open Safari for themselves, this is a really cool way to show off that your iDevice is jailbroken.

Thanks for the cool jailbreak tweak, William!

Name: InstaURL
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: Modmyi
    Developer: william_veb
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

I talked to William via email to ask a little more about the tweak and William himself:

Anthony: In about a paragraph can you tell us a little about yourself?
    William: My name is William Vabrinskas. I am 20 years old, and currently studying pharmacy at St. John's University. I became interested in programming my freshman year of college when a friend showed me a website that made fake Windows error message images. We then made a bet that I could actually make the error messages functional using Visual Basic. I started learning Visual Basic by taking code off-line and learning how they worked. I spent hours debugging simple code and eventually made a functioning program. I made a functional web browser, which had some unique functions but, unfortunately never was completed. I then ventured into Objective-C programming when I bought books on open source programming for the iPhone. It didn't take long for me to get into the swing of things and make my first tweak called 'Media Controller Brightness.' I had originally wanted to name it LockControls after I added Wi-Fi and location toggles. Soon after that, I developed many simple tweaks like 'Remove Picture Frame Button' and 'SMSConfirmation.' Now a junior in college, I can't seem to stay away from developing and I enjoy every minute of it. I love helping out the jailbreak community.

Anthony: What gave you the idea to make InstaURL?
    William: Well originally I wanted to make a tweak that would allow you to dial from anywhere but then i found out after days of work that iOS doesn't allow external applications to make calls. If they could any app could run a collect call in the background on mute and that would not be good. But I ran into the idea of InstaURL when I needed quick access to Safari from anywhere on my phone.

Anthony: What was the hardest part about making InstaURL?
    William: I'd say the hardest part of making this tweak was programming the URL text box to search 'one-worded' search entries. It would always see the 'one-worded' searches as acceptable URL's and try to load it as a website. Surprisingly this took a chunk of my time to figure out a fix to this problem.

Anthony: Is InstaURL fully compatible with iOS 5?
    William: InstaURL has not been fully tested on iOS 5, considering I have an iPhone 4 and can't deal with a tethered jailbreak because I restart my phone constantly, also I'm too broke to purchase any other iDevice to jailbreak. =) But I haven't gotten any compatibility issue emails yet.

Anthony: What do you recommend that people use InstalURL for?
    William: InstaURL is for those who need instant access to Safari's URL bar from anywhere. You can conveniently search and browse from anywhere on your iPhone. Since I've developed it I can't imagine not having it.

The Giveaway!

William was generous enough to offer to giveaway FIVE copies of InstaURL to the wonderful Modmyi readers!

Here's how to win:

Follow me @BouchardAnthony
    Follow ModMyi @Modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet; if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @BouchardAnthony so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "I entered a contest to win InstaURL for iPhone!"

Winners will be announced on Saturday, November 26. Good luck to all of you that enter!

Sources: William Vabrinskas

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (11-25-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

No

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems like a nice tweak and it may serve to be a great function, but only to an extremely select few. For sluggish and non-multitasking iDevices, this can be convenient, but given the successful upgrade and new contract sales for iDevices that offer faster operating with multitasking, This may not become popular. This would have been fantastic 2 or 3 years ago IMHO.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't this pretty much the same thing as tapping your home button until it goes to the "search" page? I suppose it does omit a (quick) step or two, so in that sense it's useful for the person that finds himself doing frequent searches whilst using various application aside from safari.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

StatusGoogle let's you google search from the notification center...and it's free btw.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Seriously, do all the giveaways require you to have a Twitter? Not everyone has a Twitter you know. Why can't it be within the Modmyi website? -___-
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Seriously, do all the giveaways require you to have a Twitter? Not everyone has a Twitter you know. Why can't it be within the Modmyi website? -___-
    Yes they are all Twitter and they always will be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes they are all Twitter and they always will be.
    Well I'm sorry but Twitter sucks and it's for people who have no lives and have nothing else better to do than to update on what they're doing every second of their lives. Just saying!
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Well I'm sorry but Twitter sucks and it's for people who have no lives and have nothing else better to do than to update on what they're doing every second of their lives. Just saying!
    Then I guess you're SOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthony bouchard View Post
    then i guess you're sol.
    sol?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

sol?
    Not sol. SOL. The acronym. Urban Dictionary: S.O.L.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

I also believe having these giveaways solely to twitter is a bit unfair. I'm one of the apparent minority who don't tweet or Facebook and these posts are sort of a heartbreak knowing that I never had a chance to win from the start. IMO this shouldn't even be posted here if there is no chance of winning from here. Just like the chance of winning, it should solely be posted via twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iZangetsu View Post
    I also believe having these giveaways solely to twitter is a bit unfair. I'm one of the apparent minority who don't tweet or Facebook and these posts are sort of a heartbreak knowing that I never had a chance to win from the start. IMO this shouldn't even be posted here if there is no chance of winning from here. Just like the chance of winning, it should solely be posted via twitter
    Couldn't say it better myself. +1
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

The idea behind having the giveaways on Twitter is to help Modmyi get more followers on Twitter so that they can become more well known when members retweet articles.

Why do I prefer Twitter? Because instead of having me filter through these comments I can easily just scroll back on Twitter and see who mentioned me and list their Cydia numbers, then easily mention all of them in one Tweet instead of having to individually PM each one on these forums.

So it has beneficial effects for those of us on Twitter and it makes it easier for me to notify the winners. Doing it here on the forums would be cumbersome work; and anyone who doesn't want to make a Twitter to engage in giveaways, doesn't have to. You could just ignore these giveaway threads and pay some money to support the developers instead.

Thanks
    The idea behind having the giveaways on Twitter is to help Modmyi get more followers on Twitter so that they can become more well known when members retweet articles.

Why do I prefer Twitter? Because instead of having me filter through these comments I can easily just scroll back on Twitter and see who mentioned me and list their Cydia numbers, then easily mention all of them in one Tweet instead of having to individually PM each one on these forums.

So it has beneficial effects for those of us on Twitter and it makes it easier for me to notify the winners. Doing it here on the forums would be cumbersome work; and anyone who doesn't want to make a Twitter to engage in giveaways, doesn't have to. You could just ignore these giveaway threads and pay some money to support the developers instead.
    Straight to the point.
    I'm unequivocally a tekkie!

Thanks

I don't see why you can't do both Twitter and within Modmyi? Seems fair.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Good point and if the tweak is found useful to me (like this one) I will buy it. But even so if the "Giveaway" is related to MMi it should include participation at MMi itself. Please don't take it the wrong way, I'm just stating my opinion. These post do benefit me as I get more information about a tweak than what would be found in Cydia. Twitter will never be an option for me no matter what I "miss out" on. It's enough for me to socialize here and in real life to be glued to any other web social hub. Anymore and I would feel less of a human being

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Badass tweak, worth 99 cents to me! I spend way more everyday on far more dumber **** anyway. I'm deployed to Afghanistan so these threads keep in loop on whats out there. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ate you people whining about twitter joking? Twitter is free. You don't need to tweet all day long. Just use it for entering this contest if that's all you want to use it for. MMI is giving away free apps. You don't get to set your own terms as to what it takes to win, they do. You don't want to use twitter (which I remind you is completely free) that's your own deal. You won't be winning diddly squat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings