Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: China-Made iPhone, A Thing of the Past: Welcome Brazil!

Default China-Made iPhone, A Thing of the Past: Welcome Brazil!

Usually, the back of the iPhone says, "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China."

A new Foxconn plant was recently built in Brazil and Apple has been trying hard to get their iPhone 4's produced there. A picture taken by a reader of MacMagazine seems to point in the direction that Apple is beginning to produce white, 8GB iPhone 4's in Brazil. 9to5Mac reports that this information has not been outright confirmed, but how can you argue with an engraving on the back of the iPhone?

On the back of the iPhone you will notice a slight difference in the logos at the bottom from the logos that you have on your China-made iPhone 4. The FCC and 'do not throw away' icons are still there, but the other four icons have been replaced by one large one. Another thing you will notice is that in the picture, the phrase, "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China" has been replaced by, "Designed by Apple in California Indústria Brasieira." Another thing that 9to5Mac points out is that when going into the Settings>General>About section of your iPhone 4, the iPhone 4's Model number might usually be something like MC608LL, while the newer Brazil Model number now ends with BR instead of LL.

Apple originally off-shored their production industry to China for the same reason that most other companies do it; China is a developing nation and labor there is cheap. What Apple is finding though, is that they can get better deals in Brazil. Brazil would offer great things for Apple compared to China. For one, it's on the same landmass as the United States which means that Apple could have the merchandise brought to the United States on wheels instead of by Air or by Ship. This would be much cheaper for Apple to bring their products into the United States. This also means that shipments could get to the United States much faster when we pre-order new devices from Apple.

What do you think about Apple starting production in Brazil instead of China? Share in the comments below!

And... also, Happy Thanksgiving!

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-24-2011 at 07:52 PM.

This will be awesome if the savings were passed on to the consumers. I bet though the prices will remain the same and more money for there pockets.

The real economy is a world economy. This kind of development works for both sides and can effect real social change. The real advantages of obviously lower shipping costs and faster delivery helps supply for demand and Brazil gains more jobs, which should help the local economy as well. If you think about it the real advantage in China is the excess of manual labor available. This shows, as an option, that perhaps there are other resources that can be integrated into the eco-conomy. Just a thought...
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    The real economy is a world economy. This kind of development works for both sides and can effect real social change. The real advantages of obviously lower shipping costs and faster delivery helps supply for demand and Brazil gains more jobs, which should help the local economy as well. If you think about it the real advantage in China is the excess of manual labor available. This shows, as an option, that perhaps there are other resources that can be integrated into the eco-conomy. Just a thought...
    Don't worry. There are plenty of people who are willing to work in China for dirt cheap. No shortage of people

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

in Brazil wages are not low as they in China or are they. Brazil seems to have steady economy. As for the prices might remain the same.And theoretically speaking yes they could drive it but i dont think any driver would drive from Brazil to US and get mugged along the line of Panama or else where and Apple would def say no to that craziness.

As long as they build it out of China I will be happy I don't need a discount on it.

Sounds great - and then we dont need to support China thats trying to take over the world.

For one, it's on the same landmass as the United States which means that Apple could have the merchandise brought to the United States on wheels instead of by Air or by Ship."
    You think that it would be cheaper to TRUCK the iPhones from Brazil (through the Amazon mind you) to USA than use a ship from China? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA
    Last edited by brab; 11-25-2011 at 02:41 AM.

For one, it's on the same landmass as the United States which means that Apple could have the merchandise brought to the United States on wheels instead of by Air or by Ship."
    You think that it would be cheaper to TRUCK the iPhones from Brazil (through the Amazon mind you) to USA than use a ship from China? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA.
    Have to agree with brab. Ships are the cheapest mean of transportation. It's waaaaaaaay cheaper to use ships than trucks to delivery the stuff. So your role argument is pretty wrong ;D A reason that Brazil looks "attractive" right now (they wouldn't have any chance against China in normal circumstances). Is that Brazil government has made some changes on their tax law over these kind of products and now the factory has to pay only 3% over the price of the product instead of the previously 15%. And Brazil is giving "financial aids" to make the factories by the BNDES (A bank in Brazil that stimulates the "development")

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, go to YouTube and listen to "Buy buy American Pie" by The Capitol Steps. Money ain't everything. I live in Australia and I'm sick of all this off-shore stuff. It's not so much to do with making items cheap for the consumer, it's about big profits for companies who unfortunately do not have national pride. Some will say national pride is a sin. Fine. Then move to China! Period

Just so everyone is clear Brazil is not on the same land mass as North America and you can not drive from Brazil to the US. There's a 160km (99mi) roadless stretch of jungle called the Darien Gap between Panama and Columbia that will likely never be paved due to environmental and cultural concerns. As previous poster said. Boats are better anyway. You really want to try to drive a truck with a couple million $ in iPads and iPhones through say Honduras? It is closer than China but I think transport cost is the least of Apple's concerns here.

have to agree there.. faster than shipping from china? maybe.. cheaper? don't think so.. there are *so many more* ships coming from china than trucks from brazil that it should be so much cheaper taking the chinese route.and thanks @darkyoh for clearing up why brazil is more attractive than china

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sobeniceguy2 View Post
    This will be awesome if the savings were passed on to the consumers. I bet though the prices will remain the same and more money for there pockets.
    Apple has historically been really good at this. /sarcasm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by darkyoh View Post
    Have to agree with brab. Ships are the cheapest mean of transportation. It's waaaaaaaay cheaper to use ships than trucks to delivery the stuff. So your role argument is pretty wrong ;D A reason that Brazil looks "attractive" right now (they wouldn't have any chance against China in normal circumstances). Is that Brazil government has made some changes on their tax law over these kind of products and now the factory has to pay only 3% over the price of the product instead of the previously 15%. And Brazil is giving "financial aids" to make the factories by the BNDES (A bank in Brazil that stimulates the "development")
    Exactly! But Anthony uses what he thinks up in head to be fact rather than doing the research like a true journo so this doesn't surprise me.