Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Withdraws T-Mobile Merger Application From FCC

Thanks

Default AT&T Withdraws T-Mobile Merger Application From FCC

The original iPhone U.S. wireless carrier, AT&T is starting to believe that the planned merger with T-Mobile is headed for trouble. AT&T announced that it has withdrawn its joint application for FCC approval of what was going to be a $39 billion deal. Previously, the two companies had said that they were going to focus efforts on getting approval from the Justice Department for the merger. But that seems like a stretch since the Department of Justice sued AT&T last August, claiming the merger was anti-competitive and in violation of antitrust laws.

As of right now, AT&T said it has plans to book a $4 billion charge in the 4th quarter in preparation for the deal failing and also due to having to make a large payment (of up to $6 billion) to T-Mobile, which was guaranteed to the company as a break-up fee. It seems that AT&T auditors want the company to take the financial hit now and the action that AT&T announced today is a sign that the company has low confidence in convincing the FCC or the Justice Department that the deal is good for consumers.

Previous arguments that AT&T used when bringing up the merger included the creation of many new US jobs. The U.S. government claimed that the merger would result in a massive job loss and higher prices for cellular service. The FCC and the Justice Department weren’t the only opposition that AT&T and T-Mobile would have to face. Competitors were also against the merger, especially Sprint. AT&T was the first company to offer Apple’s iPhone, which has now opened up to Sprint and Verizon. Despite the popular U.S. smartphone being offered on multiple U.S. carriers, AT&T still remains the most popular wireless carrier for the iPhone.

Does this disappoint many of you T-Mobile users? How do you feel about the possibility of no merger happening? Share any thoughts below!

Source: AT&T

Good, better for us consumers

That's not good I need better service and AT&T it the only wireless company I like

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    That's right! The more choices we have the better!

As a person, I agree, choice is better. But as an AT&T customer, I gotta say I wish I was getting all those towers added to my existing plan.

Thanks

Sweet

Would have been glad to have had the extra towers.
    The merger would have been good for the economy though. It probably would have opened a lot more jobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyj29 View Post
    The merger would have been good for the economy though. It probably would have opened a lot more jobs.
    I believe AT&T-Mo would've created a ton of temp jobs to unify the organizations over one-two years, but they would've let almost all those folks go afterwards, including a large portion of T-Mo mgmt. Look at the Continental-United merger - a merger of similar proportions, if not greater in magnitude - which was approved by the FCC. Bolshevik Revolution right there.

This is horrible, the merger would have been a great step forward for setting the standard for wireless phones! I have AT&T and work for sprint, what does that tell you

Thanks

Excellent, EXCELLENT news. The leviathan that would have been a GSM monopoly is slain.

Does this mean T-Mo will see the end of 2015 as a single company? Unlikely, IMO. They've still got a ton of deep-seeded problems, starting with "we need more subscribers" and "our frequency bands are incredibly uncommon."

For those of you bemoaning the loss of extra AT&T towers, I respectfully ask: AT&T already has a bazillion towers, and in many well-publicized cases, does not manage them very well. What would make AT&T better manage another bazillion towers (plus ~30 million customers)?

EDIT: While the FCC case has been withdrawn, the DOJ/anti-trust cases have not, and the press release states the sale is still intended to go through. Too early to be celebrating, apparently.
    Last edited by Orby; 11-25-2011 at 12:51 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (11-25-2011)

great information

Must I remind many of you that there are still lots of areas that AT&T only has Edge and not 3G and certainly not 4G. Yet I pay the same price I am billed the same amount as those on 4G. I am glad the T-Mobile merger didn't go through but I do wish we had more towers. When my contract ends I am going to Verizon if AT&T still has no 3G here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckerbear For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-27-2011)

Hopefully but not really in every case. I mean think about it. deutsche telekom (the parent company) is pretty much trying to give t-mobile u.s. away. If t-mobile puts in strong effort into becoming a contender im fine with that, but i don't want to be with a carrier that doesn't really want to be here because more than likely they will drag their feet to upgrade their network and move to lte over hspa+ :/ Mixed feelings i guess. I wish we could have confidence that t-mobile will continue to improve. Yea they released a ton of "4g" android devices but i feel that was a way of staying afloat till the merger finished.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldom View Post
    As a person, I agree, choice is better. But as an AT&T customer, I gotta say I wish I was getting all those towers added to my existing plan.
    For $39 billion, they could put towers wherever they wanted to. The T-Mobile merger to improve coverage was a smokescreen, as it was identified that they could get the same coverage that the merger would provide for a fraction of that amount.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    For $39 billion, they could put towers wherever they wanted to. The T-Mobile merger to improve coverage was a smokescreen, as it was identified that they could get the same coverage that the merger would provide for a fraction of that amount.
    I think you are grossly overestimating the cost of putting towers up along with their upkeep. Also, there is no profitability in throwing an additional tower up to a city in the middle of nowhere with a population of 100 that doesn't get any commuter traffic. Simply put, perhaps they could have put a tower everywhere they wanted, but it certainly would not be feasible/profitable in the long run.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyj29 View Post
    It would have killed more than it would have made.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Must I remind many of you that there are still lots of areas that AT&T only has Edge and not 3G and certainly not 4G. Yet I pay the same price I am billed the same amount as those on 4G. I am glad the T-Mobile merger didn't go through but I do wish we had more towers. When my contract ends I am going to Verizon if AT&T still has no 3G here.
    I live in western Oklahoma and we just got 3G about 3 months ago. I could drive 20 miles east and pick up 3G though. I work in the oil field and there was a lot of places I couldn't make phone calls but AT&T has recently been getting better.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. ATT are and have always been the devil.

Then ATT burn.

TMO may not sell to AT&T but they also won't remain independent. Deutche Telecom wants out of the US. Maybe Apple should buy

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

What's interesting is Tmobile used to be decent
    I see trouble for current Tmobile customers

1. recently hitting Iphone users and other smartphones with Huge fees for trying to use the service with Data or without

2. Iphone can only be used with Edge........... so I read

3. Very poor coverage compared to AT&t, Verizon and Sprint

Explain to me how is this better? With Tmobile being the last major without Iphone and then only Edge Data, two cups and string is better at times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast