+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: All Things Digital: Facebook May Compete with Apple in Smartphone Race Next Year

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For months, Facebook has denied working on a branded smartphone of its own. But that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from spinning. And perhaps now we now know why -
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default All Things Digital: Facebook May Compete with Apple in Smartphone Race Next Year

For months, Facebook has denied working on a branded smartphone of its own. But that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from spinning. And perhaps now we now know why - there's more truth behind those rejected rumors than Facebook wants us to know about.

As reported this morning by our friends at All Things Digital, the social networking giant is now collaborating with Taiwanese manufacturer HTC to build an Android-powered device delivering deep integration of its services."

The smartphone, code-named "Buffy" in honor of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is said to run a heavily modified version of Google's Android OS, and will support HTML5.
    All Things Digital reports that HTC is believed to have beaten out Samsung Electronics to secure the deal with Facebook to produce the rumored smartphone in question. The Buffy phone will reportedly "integrate social media services at a far deeper level, integrating contacts and sharing into the core of the user experience."

As you can probably imagine, Facebook won't confirm the speculation. But here's the intriguing part. Facebook won't deny it either. In fact, the social networking giant has gone one step further by releasing a statement to All Things Digital that seems to all but certainly confirm some degree of validity behind this rumor: "Our mobile strategy is simple: We think every mobile device is better if it is deeply social. We're working across the entire mobile industry; with operators, hardware manufacturers, OS providers, and application developers to bring powerful social experiences to more people around the world."

Source: All Things Digital

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is pathetic.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Interesting...but not interested.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Zero interest in anything FB. Too busy living my own life to care about people I've never met.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm interested since I use it a lot for promotions & such... I was hoping we would get more options that twitter for our iOS integration, but such is life.

And why would u have people you never met on ur fb? I see why you wouldn't worry about seein how they are doin lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A facebook phone? Man, every teenager in America will have this if it comes to fruition. It will sell like hot cakes

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    Zero interest in anything FB. Too busy living my own life to care about people I've never met.
    +1. Too busy living my own life to care about most of the people I HAVE met, too...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

I keep saying it... GEOHOT was hired for this exact reason. I knew it months ago and I know it now. If we all know Geohot we know the device will be awesome and probably the most secure in the world!

Side note.... anytime I click anything in my profile I get this error:

vB_Legacy_CurrentUser does not have a field 'userid' on line 40 in /home/mmi/public_html/vb/legacy/dataobject.php #0 /home/mmi/public_html/vb/legacy/user.php(128): vB_Legacy_Dataobject->get_field('userid') #1 /home/mmi/public_html/vb/legacy/currentuser.php(89): vB_Legacy_User->isGuest() #2 /home/mmi/public_html/vb/search/searchtools.php(349): vB_Legacy_CurrentUser->getSearchPrefs() #3 /home/mmi/public_html/search.php(206): vB_Search_Searchtools::searchIntroFetchPrefs(Objec t(vB_Legacy_CurrentUser), '1') #4 /home/mmi/public_html/vbseo.php(1397): require('/home/mmi/publi...') #5 {main} Fatal error: vB_Legacy_CurrentUser does not have a field 'userid' on line 40 in [path]/vb/legacy/dataobject.php in [path]/vb/vb.php on line 287 ________________________________________________

I will post this in every post I make just to let the powers to be know that there are still lingering issues around. But it seems the comment section of these posts now fixed! YAY
    Last edited by Truckerbear; 11-22-2011 at 02:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

this phone better be good or it'll be failure just like other that try to compete with iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Epic Fail. Last I checked, there was an app for that... lol I'm guessing a Twitter phone is next, just a phone and a way to tweet all day. Yes!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Facefone will fail.