+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Non-Apple U.S. Tablet Sales Only 1.2 Million Units in 2011, HP TouchPad Best Seller

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Non-Apple U.S. Tablet Sales Only 1.2 Million Units in 2011, HP TouchPad Best Seller

Well this is awkward. The best-selling non-iPad tablet in the U.S. so far in 2011 is the HP TouchPad.

HP axed the TouchPad earlier this year and had a TouchPad fire-sale to clear out inventory. The $99 TouchPad allowed HP to rack up a 17% share of the 1.2 million non-Apple tablets sold between January and October of this year. Samsung is in a close second at 16%, Asus commands 10% and Motorola and Acer both have a 9% market share.

To put these sales in perspective Apple sold worldwide 11.2 million iPads in the third quarter alone. A regional sales breakdown wasn’t provided by Apple, but the fact five manufacturers could only sell a combined 1.2 million tablets in 10 months shows just how dominant the iPad is.

Analysts with the NPD group remained positive about non-Apple tablet sales pointing out sales accelerated throughout 2011 increasing each month. Which is unusual or perhaps unfortunate if Digitimes report from last week is true. The Digitimes report claims major PC makers like Acer, Dell, HP, and Asus will exit the tablet market next year conceding the tablet market to Apple and their iPad.

The real threats to Apple’s tablet dominance will come from Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble’s new Nook. Both are decently powerful (especially the Nook), and can compete with Apple on the content front. However, their real advantage is price, with both units undercutting Apple’s cheapest offering by at least $250. If HP and their $99 TouchPad are any indication, the cheaper price could produce a real threat to Apple’s market dominance.

Sources: AppleInsider, Digitimes

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats pretty sad. Yet they keep trying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh so many things wrong with your article where to startYou used US only Android sales against Apple worldwide sales because crapple couldn't provide a regional breakdown. Well then guess what you can't use its numbers.The touchpad sold like crazy because they dropped the price down way below cost, this was not a pricing strategy at all, they were just dumping their stock to exit the market.Digitimes needs to get their head screwed on straight, in no way shape or form is Asus or Samsung leaving the Android game, Dell maybe, HP has already hence the fire sale.The only reason Kindle fire or Nook are doing well is low prices, it has nothing to do with hardware, which proves that generally people will just buy whatever suits their needs, which if these units suit their needs then great, they are easily turned into full fledged Android units able to access the Android Market.The Android market will continue to accelerate and dent Apples numbers in the coming year, especially with the release of a quad core Asus Prime which will soundly hand apple its ***.

Thanks

blackberry playbook is the next best seller lol

Thanks

Price, Price, Price.
    That's what it will come down to in competing with Apple in the tablet market. The iPad is seen by the average (non-tech savvy) consumer as the Gold Standard in Tablets, but most of those consumers are can't justify a use of a tablet are not willing to purchase it for $500+. Kindle Fire & Nook are going to compete very well considering that most people are simple users of tech products, and if they desire a tablet to begin with, they are much more willing to pay for one at half the cost of an iPad.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Oh so many things wrong with your article where to startYou used US only Android sales against Apple worldwide sales because crapple couldn't provide a regional breakdown. Well then guess what you can't use its numbers.The touchpad sold like crazy because they dropped the price down way below cost, this was not a pricing strategy at all, they were just dumping their stock to exit the market.Digitimes needs to get their head screwed on straight, in no way shape or form is Asus or Samsung leaving the Android game, Dell maybe, HP has already hence the fire sale.The only reason Kindle fire or Nook are doing well is low prices, it has nothing to do with hardware, which proves that generally people will just buy whatever suits their needs, which if these units suit their needs then great, they are easily turned into full fledged Android units able to access the Android Market.The Android market will continue to accelerate and dent Apples numbers in the coming year, especially with the release of a quad core Asus Prime which will soundly hand apple its ***.
    Please tell me where I was misleading with the data given? I stated Apple doesn't do a regional sales breakdown. I stated the only reason HP's touchpad did well was because of the firesale not because of some genius strategy. Anyone who follows the markets knows HP's Board of directors is gigantic mess, possibly the worst board in the history of corporate America. Unless Asus, Acer, and others can produce a product with some sort of profitability it isn't going to be worth wasting resources manufacturing products that battle for 30% of the market. Apple effectively owns 65-70% of tablet sales worldwide, its no fun being one of five companies jockying for the remaining 30%. If you'll remember Apple was estimated to have sold between 500,000 and 1 million iPad 2's during its launch weekend. Not a bad feat and the iPad was nearly as popular selling 300,000 units during its first day back in 2010.

I agree the Asus Prime looks awesome. But, looking awesome and having awesome specs does not sell units. Go ask your friends, coworkers, family members and anyone outside the tech world if they can tell you who Asus let alone what tablets they offer. Like you said it has nothing to with hardware and thats why Amazon and Barnes and Noble are at least getting one thing right. It boils down to user experience. Right now it looks like Apple, Amazon, and B&N are the only ones capable of providing a seamless ecosystem for users to experience. Android tablets, just like the phones, are all over the place in terms of which version of Android they run, which apps are optimized for this resoution, and not compatible with another one. It's a gigantic fluster cluck. Google has even promised to reign things in and get the Android world on the same page, but it hasn't worked yet.

I'm not saying Android is horrible, and that everyone else produces crap phones. There are a ton of great products, with great features that don't have an Apple logo attached to them. But, business wise if companies want to compete with Apple in the Tablet market they have to understand what consumers want, and understand Apple already has a commanding lead and they're going to have to offer massive incentives to pull attention away from Apples products.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wait for the Kindle Fire numbers to come in. I finally sold my Ipad on ebay and bought 2 Kindle fires - for wife and me. The smaller form factor is all I need.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

HP sold theirs at the right price ($99) so that's why they beat all the other Android tabs.

Thanks

I'm glad I was able to get the 32GB HP TouchPad with 1GB of RAM for $150! I love the fact that I can dual boot between WebOS and Android!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Right so Apple sold 11.2 million unitsNon Apple tablets in the USA were 1.2 million units.....Yes we all know Apple have taken the tablet market but these figures you provide ive us no comparison whatsoever...USA figures compared to world figures....WTF

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

i got me Touchpad, could be lil faster but overall good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-23-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Proud Touchpad owner here. Rocking a 32GB With Cyanogenmod 7 and soon to be Ice Cream Sandwich

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mainevent94 For This Useful Post:

delusion950 (02-04-2013)

Thanks

No where in any of my comments did I say you were misleading the data, you are however using "world wide" Apple data versus "regional" android data, hardly fair. If you can't compare apples to apples, no pun intended, then don't compare at all.

I didn't also say it has nothing to do with hardware specs, though most consumers won't look at those first, but they will ask "whats better" even the most unintelligent sales rep will still list off specs and price.

Your comments on fragmentation in the Android world are fortunately not as bad as your making it sound, every android phone that is being offered is running either froyo (a very small number are still on this) or gingerbread, with the differences between the two not overly huge. No andoid apps have to be configured for a certain resolution to work, its purely based on the OS version, compatibility amongst different models of phones is extremely negligable. And tablets 99 percent of them run Honeycomb, be it 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 makes not difference at all. Point being all of the most popular or common apps work on all the phones and apps out there.

The fragmentation you refer to is something that alot of people like to call choice, freedom, selection. Im not tied down to two types of phones and one tablet, I have the choice of many types, different feel. Woud you rather have one car manufacturer in the world or do you enjoy the choice of freedom?

The only thing apple has going for it, is that it was "first" in recent history to release a usable consumer based tablet, the other being, and I don't find this a positive or negative, is that the apple name has been around since the 70's so its a well known name. The Android name is becoming more and more well known and the fact that its associated with Google is helping it quite a bit, backed by some very very large manufacturers, its success is not a guessing game, its a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Please tell me where I was misleading with the data given? I stated Apple doesn't do a regional sales breakdown. I stated the only reason HP's touchpad did well was because of the firesale not because of some genius strategy. Anyone who follows the markets knows HP's Board of directors is gigantic mess, possibly the worst board in the history of corporate America. Unless Asus, Acer, and others can produce a product with some sort of profitability it isn't going to be worth wasting resources manufacturing products that battle for 30% of the market. Apple effectively owns 65-70% of tablet sales worldwide, its no fun being one of five companies jockying for the remaining 30%. If you'll remember Apple was estimated to have sold between 500,000 and 1 million iPad 2's during its launch weekend. Not a bad feat and the iPad was nearly as popular selling 300,000 units during its first day back in 2010.

I agree the Asus Prime looks awesome. But, looking awesome and having awesome specs does not sell units. Go ask your friends, coworkers, family members and anyone outside the tech world if they can tell you who Asus let alone what tablets they offer. Like you said it has nothing to with hardware and thats why Amazon and Barnes and Noble are at least getting one thing right. It boils down to user experience. Right now it looks like Apple, Amazon, and B&N are the only ones capable of providing a seamless ecosystem for users to experience. Android tablets, just like the phones, are all over the place in terms of which version of Android they run, which apps are optimized for this resoution, and not compatible with another one. It's a gigantic fluster cluck. Google has even promised to reign things in and get the Android world on the same page, but it hasn't worked yet.

I'm not saying Android is horrible, and that everyone else produces crap phones. There are a ton of great products, with great features that don't have an Apple logo attached to them. But, business wise if companies want to compete with Apple in the Tablet market they have to understand what consumers want, and understand Apple already has a commanding lead and they're going to have to offer massive incentives to pull attention away from Apples products.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Does Adobe know this? I still don't understand why they released their touch version of Photoshop for Android tablets first. It's not rocket science.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    i got me Touchpad, could be lil faster but overall good.
    I have two a 16gb and a 32gb
    Great for internet browsing, reading pdf and USA today and CNN news and email

good for Pic viewing too

BTW did you do all the homebrew tweaks? The touch pad screams and when I compared it to a Ipad ( heavens forbid) it was almost as fast and smooth pretty close

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MYPHONEI For This Useful Post:

delusion950 (02-04-2013)