+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.0.2 Delayed

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS 5.0.2 may have been delayed so that Apple can fix memory leaks. iOS 5.0 came with some horrible battery life for some. Luckily, iOS 5.0.1 came to rescue for
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 5.0.2 Delayed

iOS 5.0.2 may have been delayed so that Apple can fix memory leaks.

iOS 5.0 came with some horrible battery life for some. Luckily, iOS 5.0.1 came to rescue for some. Albeit it helped a good number of people, it didn't help all of them. Apple said that the battery problems were because of numerous bugs and that iOS 5.0.1 only fixed some of the bugs. They promised to fix the rest of the bugs in a future update. The future update is iOS 5.0.2 and it's going to be released in the near future. Unfortunately, it will be released later than we expected it to be.

It appears that iOS 5.0.2 has memory leak issues that Apple needs to fix. For that, they need to delay the release so that they can fix the leaks. A memory leak is when software uses memory although the program cannot use the data stored in the memory. This causes the program to use a ton of memory that it would not usually need. Since the iPhone 4S only has 512MB of RAM, memory is a very diminishable resource. In other words, memory leak on iPhone = no bueno. Apple engineers are hard at working plugging up the battery problems plaguing iOS 5. They are also improving Siri functionality with each release for the iPhone 4S.

As before, if you are looking forward to an untethered jailbreak for your iPhone 4, we recommend that you stay on iOS 5.0. If you updated to iOS 5.0.1 already, then you might as well update to iOS 5.0.2 because either way you're going to be stuck with a tethered jailbreak for a while!

iOS 5.0.2 will probably be released as a beta before we get to see it, so stay tuned and we will let you know when iOS 5.0.2 is released. Keep in mind that it likely will not have any new features. So again, if you're on iOS 5.0, stay on it! There is currently no way to downgrade iOS 5 releases on your iDevice. If you have updated, your best bet for an untethered jailbreak right now would be to downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 using your SHSH blobs.

Sources: Apple Insider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-22-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Were now on iOS 5.0.1 which is how many iOS's later and Crapple still can't get it right

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    Were now on iOS 5.0.1 which is how many iOS's later and Crapple still can't get it right
    Each time you change and add new things there are always possiblities of things breaking or the new stuff breaking older stuff. Can't have something work perfectly all the time. Be thankful we can get updates, compared to back in the day when something was glitched or broke you had to live with it. Biggest example was gaming industry.

Thanks
    Maybe this will fix all the low memory errors on the 3GS. Most of the time I only have 10mb of ram avalible. The ip4 I always have over 200

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm still on 5.0 for now dealing with the battery issues for the untethered jailbreak. What my concern is, will they release a package in Cydia that will do all the patches to fix the battery drain as well as memory leaks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait, so I can have an untethered jailbreak on iPhone 4 iOS 5.0? Or are you just saying that's the only version being worked on?

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 905 Posts

Does this mean that the iPhone 4s won't get an unthered jailbreak as it only mentions ip4
    I have iPhone 4s and am still on iOS 5.0???

Thanks

It's the 4s getting any kind of jailbreak?? I'm bored already need something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't think there was an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 yet

Green Apple
    Thanks

As before, if you are looking forward to an untethered jailbreak for your iPhone 4, we recommend that you stay on iOS 5.0. If you updated to iOS 5.0.1 already, then you might as well update to iOS 5.0.2 because either way you're going to be stuck with a tethered jailbreak for a while!

How long is it going to be before we see a Untethered jailbreak for 5? and the fact we cant restore is really not good at all seeing as the jailbreaks completely fked up my Camera, I am not able to use or even open the Camera at all, does anyone know if there is a fix on cydia for this or not?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c14rlf View Post
    How long is it going to be before we see a Untethered jailbreak for 5? and the fact we cant restore is really not good at all seeing as the jailbreaks completely fked up my Camera, I am not able to use or even open the Camera at all, does anyone know if there is a fix on cydia for this or not?
    You should probably address this in the forums, you may get a better response. Not sure how jailbreaking will eff up your camera, unless you installed a camera app from Cydia like Camerabuttons, Pictureme or some other camera app; in which case you always remove it first to see if that fixed the issue. If you have any apps that would use your iPhones camera app in anyway, like the FBphoto app, I would remove it and troubleshoot from there. From there I would backtrack and remove all apps 1 by 1 and test the camera after every one is removed to find the culprit. Chances are you have an app you installed from Cydia that is not compatible with iOS 5 yet. It doesn't make any kind of sense that simply jailbreaking would ruin your iPhones' camera app. If all else has failed restore/rejailbreak is always the perfect fix. I have never heard of this problem so I wouldn't think there would be a fix in Cydia for it, rather the dev who wrote the tool you used to JB your device with (redsn0w?) would have developed an updated tool to address future jailbreaks. Maybe restore and download the latest and greatest from the dev team and try again.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

About motha effin time they fix this memory leak! This could be the problem to "other" storage increasing like a muffin!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Does this hold true for the iPhone4S too?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    You should probably address this in the forums, you may get a better response. Not sure how jailbreaking will eff up your camera, unless you installed a camera app from Cydia like Camerabuttons, Pictureme or some other camera app; in which case you always remove it first to see if that fixed the issue. If you have any apps that would use your iPhones camera app in anyway, like the FBphoto app, I would remove it and troubleshoot from there. From there I would backtrack and remove all apps 1 by 1 and test the camera after every one is removed to find the culprit. Chances are you have an app you installed from Cydia that is not compatible with iOS 5 yet. It doesn't make any kind of sense that simply jailbreaking would ruin your iPhones' camera app. If all else has failed restore/rejailbreak is always the perfect fix. I have never heard of this problem so I wouldn't think there would be a fix in Cydia for it, rather the dev who wrote the tool you used to JB your device with (redsn0w?) would have developed an updated tool to address future jailbreaks. Maybe restore and download the latest and greatest from the dev team and try again.
    Thanx Plnkeye21, yeah it happens to both my or my Girlfriends Phones 3gs the only problem is we cant restore anymore can we? because apple are not signing 5.0 and there is no way of getting around that to go back to 5.0 as I am aware, so I will try the fixes you just suggested,

Thankyou

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what happens when a company knows that millions will still buy their products no matter what problems they're plagued with.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Go Gators For This Useful Post:

iKillYou (11-22-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Maybe this will fix all the low memory errors on the 3GS. Most of the time I only have 10mb of ram avalible. The ip4 I always have over 200
    Maybe I need this fix then, when running just this app I only have about 160 free on my iP4.. It's usually not too slow with multitasking alot of apps, but I do know it should be faster than it is.

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

CRAPple is not gonna fix the problems anytime soon...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DaLsim For This Useful Post:

iKillYou (11-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    CRAPple is not gonna fix the problems anytime soon...
    Wow. Very pessimistic. I honestly don't see why people get so worked up over the few small problems that iOS 5x has. It still works better than any device I have ever seen. Really guys... I have a feeling that most of the battery issues have less to do with the iOS than with what apps you are running, and how your iPhone is configured. There are a lot of power management tips on the Internet. Simple stuff like disabling location on unnecessary apps. I've run both iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 and have yet to see any issue since I did this.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (11-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

For all saying "crapple" and crap like that just go get a droid. Ios5 isn't even that buggy. ANYTIME a new new major is update happens there will always be bugs, and that goes for every OS out there. Look at widows and osx with every big update there Follows a bunch of big fixes.

But seriously If you really feel that apple is crapple then go he yourself a sick *** droid that gets worse battery life and has to be rooted and a custom rom installed to even work right

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

For the love of god. Why are people asking about jailbreaks? That is not at all what this article is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I honestly don't see why people get so worked up over the few small problems that iOS 5x has. It still works better than any device I have ever seen. Really guys... I have a feeling that most of the battery issues have less to do with the iOS than with what apps you are running, and how your iPhone is configured. There are a lot of power management tips on the Internet. Simple stuff like disabling location on unnecessary apps. I've run both iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 and have yet to see any issue since I did this.
    I would tend to agree with you except for the fact that I am sure a lot of these people experiencing issues were on iOS 4.x.x on their iPhone 4. They have a baseline to compare to. I'm not having issues, but of Apple themselves have admitted its a problem it's a pretty safe bet that it isn't just user error.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-21-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings