+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Malware Increases 472% Since July, iOS Nearly Untouched

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple owners have long touted the OS X operating system as infinitely safer than Windows and it appears this safety has extended to iOS. A new report by the Juniper
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Android Malware Increases 472% Since July, iOS Nearly Untouched

Apple owners have long touted the OS X operating system as infinitely safer than Windows and it appears this safety has extended to iOS. A new report by the Juniper Global Threat Center (JGTC) claims Android malware has increased nearly five-fold since July while iOS remains relatively untouched.

According to JGTC the amount of Android Malware increased by 472% from July to the middle of November of this year. Between the summer of 2009 and 2010 Android malware increased four-fold, but the Android malware increase since the middle of this summer seems plague like. September and August both saw about 10% increases, but both October and November have seen nearly 110% increases in the amount of Android malware.

The reason behind the explosion of Android malware? The Android Market Place and Anroid's increase in market share. JGTC blamed the Market Place's lack of a review process, the ease with which an anonymous developer account can be made, and the small $25 fee required to begin posting apps as the main reasons behind the surge in malware.

With no upfront review process, no one checking to see that your application does what it says, just the world’s largest majority of smartphone users skimming past your application’s description page with whatever description of the application the developer chooses to include. — JGTC
    Spyware made up nearly 55% of the malware samples and the remaining majority of malware attacks were SMS Trojans that secretly send text messages to premium numbers. Apple’s iOS platform has remained relatively untouched from such malware attacks. JGTC attributes this to the lengthy and usually successful app review process Apple utilizes.

It appears Apple’s closed garden does have its advantages. Last summer McAfee found that Android had become the most targeted malware platform while iOS remained nearly untouched.

The old lack of market share argument used to explain the lack of malware attacking OSX doesn’t apply to iOS. Apple’s mobile operating system commands a massive slice of the mobile computing pie and while there have been a number of critical exploits found, they usually are stomped out by Apple with iOS updates relatively quickly.

And this might be iOS’s next best advantage over Android, Apple’s frequent and effortlessly distributed iOS updates. Being able to identify and stomp out exploits (good or bad, sigh) quickly and across all iOS devices makes the fragmented and haphazard update process of Android devices all that more obvious. I do wish iOS would be as “open” as Android, but maintained Apple’s approval process. But, I’ll take Apple’s walled garden and the Jailbreak community as a superior compromise.

Source: Juniper Global Threat Center [via iPhoneHacks]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-21-2011 at 08:40 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hackers always go after the most popular system with the largest installed base.More customers = more potential for scamming people for money.If Apple overtakes Android on a global scale, you can bet iOS will be getting a whole lot more hacker attention.

Thanks
    iOS wins again

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

People refer to Apples iOS as a "closed garden". Its more like a "closed world" now and I dont mind living in it.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    People refer to Apples iOS as a "closed garden". Its more like a "closed world" now and I dont mind living in it.
    Agreed, I like my jailbroken, malware free iDevice.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Hackers always go after the most popular system with the largest installed base.More customers = more potential for scamming people for money.If Apple overtakes Android on a global scale, you can bet iOS will be getting a whole lot more hacker attention.
    Apple would not allow malware to get into the app store. That's why the ban a lot of apps or reject them.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

I love windows but you are both right and wrong iOS security is to prevent the user from doing anything like jail hence jail breaking but if you think about it android does have a lot of devices and they all have there own "android so creating security for each and every android device is hard while iOS devices follow the same "code" and apple updates them every security threat, which makes it easier. Common troll comments lets make it to page 3!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cellular For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-22-2011)

Thanks

People always blame lack of market share for lack of viruses. However, OSX and iOS have seen a huge boost in market share and they are STILL largely untouched by viruses and malware. (i.e. a terrible virus comes out for OSX that you have to manually install) When will people get that it's not popularity as much as open sources fault?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    People refer to Apples iOS as a "closed garden". Its more like a "closed world" now and I don't mind living in it.
    I couldn't agree more. And while Android may be bigger of the two, I'm sure it's also a lot easier to infect an android device as well. So I think the "most popular" or whatever argument is kinda invalid. Just sayin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    People always blame lack of market share for lack of viruses. However, OSX and iOS have seen a huge boost in market share and they are STILL largely untouched by viruses and malware. (i.e. a terrible virus comes out for OSX that you have to manually install) When will people get that it's not popularity as much as open sources fault?
    uhh, that's a trojan. to the best of my knowledge, there are no viruses for OSX/iOS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey apple is closed ..it has lot of restrictions ..when you do not jailbreak your device and stay with apple environment then there is no chance of affecting to malware..
    Android ..its a free any one and every one who has java knowledge can create an app and put in web ..weather it is malware or a clean software..

No limitations for android ..android sucks in this ... that's why android has malware and apple doesn't.

its not that more users =hacking more..
    Last edited by jaswanthkoppu; 11-21-2011 at 10:37 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This all means nothing as they have never noted the number of infections, it largely has to do with the user, if your dumb you will get infected. The only ones who root their android devices or mess around with testing different apps, are more experienced users, who are smart enough to run AV apps at the same time to avoid infection.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Freedom brings both the good and the bad...no way around it...more control, less malware and vice versa...
    Apple wants it's hands controlling everything, Google doesn't...

So it's not a matter of win or lose here Mlitz69...grow up...

I myself was a victim of Ikee with all my iPhones (since 2007), whereas I've been on Android for last year now and 0 issues with malware...
    As long as you don't install something you have no idea about you'll be fine...

Thanks

The only reasons people get malware on their android devices is by installing apps from 3rd party sources. If you just get all your apps from the marketplace there's pretty much no way for you get any malware. iOS doesn't even allow you to install from 3rd party sources.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hate using percentages to show stats.If an OS have 0 malware and it goes to 5 that makes it 500% increase, because no reference of beginning people think it is extraordinarily large number. Basically it is the author that uses this to try to extend the threat higher than it suppose to be, to make the story more "attractive" to readers.

Thanks

It has nothing to do with install base, iOS had way more users than android until last year. This is happening because Android is so open source, and anyone can install anything anywhere. I'm not saying that Android needs to be as closed off as iOS, but there is definitely a limit.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Every single response about "why this is happening" so far has been ridiculously wrong. It has nothing to do with open source this or that. It has to do with the fact that applications outside of the market are allowed to be installed onto android. People seek out warez, cheats, and otherwise questionable material. On Android, you can literally go into setting and check the box that says (paraphrasing) "allow me to install whatever the hell I want". People do this, give the app permission to do whatever the hell it wants, and even if it scans clean, it may be set to download and install numerous other things. You can rip on android all you want. It certainly does have its shortcomings. Overly trusting (read: stupid) users is certainly one of them (to be fair iOS has plenty of those too, it's just that you are not given the choice to download anything outside of the official store sanctioned by Apple).

I use both android devices and iOS devices. How many security problems have I had with either? ZERO! Why? Because I don't download BS like "unlimited golden eagle CHEETZ for Angry birds" from sites like warez4u.ru (<-- made up site)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-22-2011)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Gee. 472%. I wonder why...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Gee. 472%. I wonder why...
    Don't take that number to heart media likes doing this.
    Example:
    2009 murders 2
    2010 murders 4 but population increased which means more people, chance for crime to go up
    Media: crime rate increased 100%
    This is basic research methods on how to read a crime data.
    Last edited by Cellular; 11-21-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I hate using percentages to show stats.If an OS have 0 malware and it goes to 5 that makes it 500% increase, because no reference of beginning people think it is extraordinarily large number. Basically it is the author that uses this to try to extend the threat higher than it suppose to be, to make the story more "attractive" to readers.
    Actually if iOS had 0 malware and it went up to 5, percentage wise it would be an infinite increase. Think about it...

*T*
    Thanks

If that's true, why have Mac viruses picked up? It's because they go after the crowd without the anti-virus software, and a huge amount of windows users have some sort of firewall. Apples ecosystem IS an antivirus thing by itself. Android has very little in terms of security.