+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Galaxy Nexus Benchmarks Put Up Against Apple's iPhone 4S

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone 4S’ latest competitor, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus just went on sale this past week (in the UK) and the folks over at Anandtech have performed some tests to
    Thanks

Default Galaxy Nexus Benchmarks Put Up Against Apple's iPhone 4S

The iPhone 4S’ latest competitor, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus just went on sale this past week (in the UK) and the folks over at Anandtech have performed some tests to show how it stacks up. The Nexus is the first smartphone to feature Google’s next generation mobile operating system dubbed Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

Some initial performance analysis of the flagship smartphone was obtained from the GLBenchmark database, revealing that the Galaxy Nexus performs better than the iPhone 4S when running iOS 5 on the SunSpider Javascript benchmark and the Rightware BrowserMark. The Nexus does lag behind in the graphics department.

For those of you who didn't already know, the Galaxy Nexus is powered by a Texas Instruments OMAP 4460 dual-core processor running at 1.2 GHz and the Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 540 GPU for graphics.Some of the other features include a 4.65’’ HD (1280x720) Super AMOLED screen, 1GB RAM, 5-megapixel camera, and 1.3MP front facing camera. The folks over at Anandtech said that on the CPU side of things, the Texas Instruments chip is comparable to Apple’s A5, although the cores are clocked noticeably higher than the 800 MHz seen in the iPhone 4S. The graphical side of things is where the iPhone 4S still shines. When it comes to hardware, the Galaxy Nexus’ PowerVR SGX 540 from Imagination Technologies just doesn’t stack up to the iPhone 4S which utilizes the dual-core SGX 543MP2 GPU from the same manufacturer.

For those of you interested, you can see the results below:

As you can see in the graphs above, the Galaxy nexus outperforms all of today’s popular smartphones (including the iPhone 4S) when it comes to the SunSpider Javascript benchmark and the Rightware BrowserMark.

The graphs above show that the roles are reversed in the graphics department with the iPhone 4S leading the charts when it comes to the GLBenchmark 2.1 Egpyt and Pro tests.

AnandTech concluded with the following statement regarding the Samsung Galaxy Nexus:

Google really pushed the performance of its software further with Ice Cream Sandwich, while GPU performance is limited by the SGX 540. The good news is that there's more than enough hardware at ICS' disposal to deliver a smooth experience.
    We'll have to wait and see how Apple responds to the competition. Ultimately, I don't think the benchmarks matter to the average consumer because what customers are really buying when comparing between the Android and the iOS platform is the experience that comes packaged with their product, not just raw hardware performance. How do you feel about the topic at hand? Share your thoughts below!

Source: AnandTech

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

What I see here is an android phone that can browse the web better, but is absolutely garbage compared to the iPhone 4S at gaming, processing, and doing IMPORTANT things. I rarely use my iPhone for browsing because I have my Macbook on me and I use my iPhone to tether with it. But as for gaming, using applications that use CPU power (iWork, Garageband, iMovie), and other intensive apps, iPhone 4S wins hands down. Woopie Fiz if the Android phone loads a page .01 seconds faster. 

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What I see here is an android phone that can browse the web better, but is absolutely garbage compared to the iPhone 4S at gaming, processing, and doing IMPORTANT things. I rarely use my iPhone for browsing because I have my Macbook on me and I use my iPhone to tether with it. But as for gaming, using applications that use CPU power (iWork, Garageband, iMovie), and other intensive apps, iPhone 4S wins hands down. Woopie Fiz if the Android phone loads a page .01 seconds faster. 
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a device with faster clock speed (and not by a little bit--800 MHz versus 1.2 GHz) as merely being able to load webpages faster. Those three applications you listed (iWork suite, Garageband, iMovie) still heavily rely on the CPU as well as RAM (the Nexus has 1024 MiB to the 4S's 512) for their central functions. Equally important to the "speed test," if you will, is the OS on the device... How well ICS handles resources has still yet to be adequately determined.

Benchmarks are benchmarks, but are only indicative of arbitrary measures of performance.

Thanks

What I see with all this crap, is that my iPhone 4 iOS5 is crap compared to a bunch of smartphones out there... I should probably get the 4S then... Damn it!

PS: is there a way to overclock the iPhone4 processor?

Thanks

How is this Apple related news? Just saying.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a device with faster clock speed (and not by a little bit--800 MHz versus 1.2 GHz)
    Clockspeed on any device, not just smart phones, is completely irrelevant. It's not like the good old days when clock speed actually meant something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Application using CPU? You realize that the Nexus has a faster CPU right? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Because these products compete with Apple's products? Just saying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes Mr. Apple Fanboi...the IMPORTANT things on the phone are gaming and processing.
    Unfortunately most of us are not so l33t to have our Macbook on us all the time.

By no means people buy phones to make phone calls, write SMSes and browse web on the move.
    Get back down to Earth dude...your common sense is non existent!

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Application using CPU? You realize that the Nexus has a faster CPU right? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
    Mr. Doucheard doesn't know what he's talkng about in 99% of the cases, yet he feels his opinion matters so much he has to post in every news thread.
    Last edited by brab; 11-20-2011 at 04:10 AM.

What's Jailbreak? Fidlisskbarned's Avatar
    Thanks

Give credit where it's due. Looks like a cool android phone. Fanboys are annoying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anthony Bouchard - Today, 08:06 AMWhat I see here is an android phone that can browse the web better, but is absolutely garbage compared to the iPhone 4S at gaming, processing, and doing IMPORTANT things. I rarely use my iPhone for browsing because I have my Macbook on me and I use my iPhone to tether with it. But as for gaming, using applications that use CPU power (iWork, Garageband, iMovie), and other intensive apps, iPhone 4S wins hands down. Woopie Fiz if the Android phone loads a page .01 seconds faster. 
    Anthony Bouchards statement had the iPhone been quicker at browsing but slower for games.
    Anthony Bouchard - Today, 08:06 AMWhat I see here is an android phone that can play games better, but is absolutely garbage compared to the iPhone 4S at web browsing and doing important things. I rarely use my iPhone for gaming because I have my Macbook on me and it has better graphics processing than any mobile device. But as for web browsing, and other intensive apps, iPhone 4S wins hands down. Woopie Fiz if the Android phone plays a game slightly better. 
    I like apple products and have owned all iPhones since inception and even put up with the short comings of the devices over the years. But i wasn't blind and ignorant to it. The original iPhone paled in comparison to most phones on the market at the time. I never fooled myself into believing it didn't. It still has shortcomings but i like the device. Try to be a little objective when writing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks like Bouchard's rep just got knocked down a couple of points. Maybe he was drunk when he posted. That would be an acceptable answer.

Me- I'm happy there is lots of competition. It brings more features and better products to us, the consumers. Period. and I can appreciate when people(fanboys included-of which i do not consider myself) can be adult and recognize that there are alternatives out there. Even if they have no intention of switching.

-Luke

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't forget that you can overclock Androids so those numbers could be doubled. Hate all you want but the truth is the Galaxy Nexus is vastly superior to the i4S. That's coming from a guy who owned every generation of the iPhone up to the i4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The competition is stiffening up. I like it, I have been purchasing iPhone since the start and now it's time to move on when the kal-el arrives in smartphones.
    iPhone 5s/iPad Air
    HTC One
    Note 3 <--- <3

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Lol @ you. The Galaxy Nexus may be faster at browsing the web and loading applications, but when it comes to the important things like playing Angry Birds and Infinity Blade, the iPhone 4S wins hands down.

While I'm highly impressed by the graphics that the A5 chip is capable of, I rarely play games on my phone so yeah I'll take a faster processor over better graphics.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

What I see here is someone that hasn't even touched the phone and is either dismissing it on merits of a silly benchmark or the fact that it's an Android device (or both). I personally own the 4S and a friend of mine has the EU import of the Nexus. They are both really solid phones, and with ICS finally allowing graphics acceleration Android is as smooth as it's ever been.

One area that iPhone shines is storage capacity (assuming you cough up the extra $$$). My understanding is that the VZW will only come in the 16GB flavor, which has a lot of Android fans super peeved.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hmmm, what's surprising is that the Nexus is actually slower than the old S2 in the graphics processing department according to those GLBenchmark tables.This whole Samsung vs Apple crap makes me laugh, takes me right be to the days of Amiga vs Atari and Nintendo vs Sony.Yup, at the end of the day it's competition for the manufacturers, and that benefits us all.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    What I see with all this crap, is that my iPhone 4 iOS5 is crap compared to a bunch of smartphones out there... I should probably get the 4S then... Damn it!

PS: is there a way to overclock the iPhone4 processor?
    Are you having performance issues? Just because there is something technically better out there doesn't mean there will be a large notable difference in your performance versus the performance of other phones. Hardware manufacturers for PCs have been doing this for ages. Play your games at max settings at 2387423426347823784 FPS. Ok, or I can keep the hardware I have which already plays current games at max settings at 120fps and not really notice a damn bit of difference to begin with. Not saying not to go with the 4S. But I know I wouldn't have if I didn't have the upgrade available. Siri and voice to text are great, but it wouldn't have been enough to get me to pay nearly $500 for the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    It's comparing one group of phones to the iPhone 4S. I think its relevant, allbeit a pretty poor way to compare phones these days.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    I don't know why people hate on other phones other than the iPhone. I mean, I'm a hardcore apple fan and 95% of laptops and desktops and what not, I own are from apple because I love their products. The new phone to compete with the 4S sounds awesome. The thing that everyone forgets is that this will push apple to further their products even more, which in the end benefits all of us. If like to try out this new galaxy phone, but I'll stay with my 4S. But I won't hate on other phones because the more competition, the better it is for us consumers who love apple products because it forces apple to up their game.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,190 Times in 6,648 Posts

Should be getting my Galaxy Nexus sometime next week. Can't wait to play with it. Not giving up my 4S though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Channan (11-20-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't they compare the screens? I hear the Galaxy Nexus has a better display then HTC Rezound which has a higher PPI then Apple's Retina Display.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast