+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Galaxy Nexus Benchmarks Put Up Against Apple's iPhone 4S

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by hookedonkronix Don't forget that you can overclock Androids so those numbers could be doubled. Hate all you want but the truth is the Galaxy Nexus is vastly
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonkronix View Post
    Don't forget that you can overclock Androids so those numbers could be doubled. Hate all you want but the truth is the Galaxy Nexus is vastly superior to the i4S. That's coming from a guy who owned every generation of the iPhone up to the i4.
    Ya but it kills your battery a hell of alot faster

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm curious as why you'd ask the community of an Apple/iPhone fanboy site their opinion on another product. -_-

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Not always. You can set dynamic overclocking so that you get the extra performance only when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO View Post
    I'm curious as why you'd ask the community of an Apple/iPhone fanboy site their opinion on another product. -_-
    There are some people that are able to remain objective.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (11-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't forget android phone have a lot of Malware which the iPhone has none. Android phone is not save when you have apps which have Scam and Malware. Don't want my info on my phone to be used. Who cares how fast the phone is. One Nano second is nothing or 2. That why IPhone is my phone. Android OS is always going to danagerous to keep you info. Lots of android phone have been hack but the user doesn't kow it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iphone333 View Post
    Don't forget android phone have a lot of Malware which the iPhone has none. Android phone is not save when you have apps which have Scam and Malware. Don't want my info on my phone to be used. Who cares how fast the phone is. One Nano second is nothing or 2. That why IPhone is my phone. Android OS is always going to danagerous to keep you info. Lots of android phone have been hack but the user doesn't kow it.
    Okay wow this is a idoit reply.... Seriously is all I have to say to this post ha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amoamare For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (11-20-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Battery voltage can be adjusted when overclocking the Galaxy S II, so assuming the same is true for all Android phones then battery life decrease is small enough that its not even noticed. I experienced more battery drain with live wallpapers than I do with overclocking the SII.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Battery voltage can be adjusted when overclocking the Galaxy S II, so assuming the same is true for all Android phones then battery life decrease is small enough that its not even noticed. I experienced more battery drain with live wallpapers than I do with overclocking the SII.
    This is correct. The ability to undervolt by a small amount can help improve battery life. On top of that, having the ability to dynamically make changes to the CPU governor based on everything from screen on/off to battery % makes the pull for running a custom kernel even stronger.

I knew this wasn't going I be a fair shake at the device when I opened the thread, but A Bouchard's reply is far from what I would expect from a staff writer at mmi.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (11-20-2011)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Application using CPU? You realize that the Nexus has a faster CPU right? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
    Clearly, because of HP touchpad with a faster clock speed was NOT faster than the Apple iPad with a lower clock speed.

Clock speed means nothing. Processor architecture and operations per clock matter. I'd like to see a 2.8Ghz Pentium D processor versus a 2.0Ghz i7 processor. That will prove that clock speed means nothing.

Pay more attention to those benchmarks. Albeit arbitrary as Orby stated, they provide good insight to the speeds. Any faster processor will register faster with benchmarks. Common sense; the iPhone 4S had higher benchmarks in processing than the Nexus, albeit slower web browsing.

Just pointing out the obviously faster A5 processor.

(Not to come off harsh to any of you; it WAS 3AM when I posted that opinion).

I need a coffee.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-20-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iphone333 View Post
    Yes, however you are missing one key factor. You have to allow things to be installed on your Android phone from untrusted third parties to get this malware. The way people are getting malware on their Android devices is by downloading "warez" or other untrusted nonesense. There is literally a check box that must be checked to allow software outside of what is available on the Android Market (read: the safe stuff) to be able to do this. The fact that there are too many uneducated people installing every game cheat, cracked application, etc. under the sun is no fault of the OS, rather the OS writers. The difference here is that Apple plain and simple doesn't officially allow any third party apps outside of their store to be installed. For those that are ok with that, or simply don't have the knowledge to steer clear of danger, that's fantastic.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was at the AT&T store the other day and the employee used his Galaxy S II and did the SunSpider benchmark against my 4S. It beat mine handily. What would be the reason for that? My 4S was at the 2250 this indicates, but his Galaxy S II was around 1500. In all of the charts in the article, the Galaxy S II is not even the fastest android.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to decronin1123 For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    Why don't they compare the screens? I hear the Galaxy Nexus has a better display then HTC Rezound which has a higher PPI then Apple's Retina Display.
    While technically sharper, I certainly cannot notice a difference. Granted this was just a glance at the rezound and flipping through some pages, loading a quick youtube (touch to judge since it wasn't on wifi) etc. This is one of those times where resolution can keep going up, but if you aren't viewing your screen with a magnifying glass, you are going to get diminishing returns. That is, you won't notice a darn bit of difference under normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by decronin1123 View Post
    I was at the AT&T store the other day and the employee used his Galaxy S II and did the SunSpider benchmark against my 4S. It beat mine handily. What would be the reason for that? My 4S was at the 2250 this indicates, but his Galaxy S II was around 1500. In all of the charts in the article, the Galaxy S II is not even the fastest android.
    This would indicate that these benchmarks are nothing more than a load of bull meant to hype up different phones. Use the phones in real world conditions and compare them that way, not through a silly benchmark.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-20-2011 at 11:06 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Mr. Doucheard doesn't know what he's talkng about in 99% of the cases, yet he feels his opinion matters so much he has to post in every news thread.
    Name calling only reflects on you, and does not belong in this forum. Posts like yours above waste everyone's time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    PS: is there a way to overclock the iPhone4 processor?
    I don't know I know you can overclock the iPhone 3G and 3GS and the iPod touch 2nd gen and 3rd gen, but that tends to cause the device to overheat.

P.S. Don't ask for the files the developer didn't release them for a reason.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait for this

Green Apple
    Thanks

It doesn't really matter what the specs are. I'll stick with apple. I love the customer service. How many phones can you have a problem with and make an appointment with the manufacture (apple) and go get it taken care of that day? Plus the design of apple phones is where it's at.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My family switched to sprint which forced me to have an iPhone-less summer (hell) I had a nexus S4G and a big problem with the crazy screen they put in it is that the battery drains ridiculously fast. with 4g, 3g, wifi,bluetooth and GPS off I would get 3-4 hours even with juice defender. I had to carry extra batteries. A faster processor and GPU is worthless without better power management protocols like the ones in OSX that are in iOS. I think that benchmark wise the differences are not that dramatic and when you factor in the strict regulations apple puts in place you don't have to deal with memory leaks and the way it handles multitasking makes it faster than a nexus that has apps running in the background

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know a few people in the same boat as me and I would wager there are a good number of people out there like myself who bought an iP4 on AT&T launch day, now has an upgrade and sees no point in spending $300 and having to sign a new 2 year contract and not have another upgrade for 18 or so months on a iP4S. In fact, I even bought an iP4S and returned it 7 days later. After the excitement over Siri and better camera wear off, all you're left with is (what feels like) a slightly faster processor. I would definitely consider the Galaxy Nexus and a switch back to Verizon (and leaving the land of AT&T dropped calls). Obviously in financial terms, the iP4S is a crazy success for Apple, but I think they will lose a number (admittedly possibly a small number) of iPhone early adopters to other phones due to (IMO) the underwhelming iP4S, despite what all the benchmarks say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    It doesn't really matter what the specs are. I'll stick with apple. I love the customer service. How many phones can you have a problem with and make an appointment with the manufacture (apple) and go get it taken care of that day? Plus the design of apple phones is where it's at.
    I've never had an appointment with the manufacturer (Apple). I have had an appointment with a kid ("Genius") that (seemingly) knew less about the device than I did that plugged the phone in to do a couple diagnostics and tell me what I already knew. Granted, it is nice to be able to swap the product out on the spot if you are having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by offspring107 View Post
    My family switched to sprint which forced me to have an iPhone-less summer (hell) I had a nexus S4G and a big problem with the crazy screen they put in it is that the battery drains ridiculously fast. with 4g, 3g, wifi,bluetooth and GPS off I would get 3-4 hours even with juice defender. I had to carry extra batteries. A faster processor and GPU is worthless without better power management protocols like the ones in OSX that are in iOS. I think that benchmark wise the differences are not that dramatic and when you factor in the strict regulations apple puts in place you don't have to deal with memory leaks and the way it handles multitasking makes it faster than a nexus that has apps running in the background
    3-4 hours is on the extremely low end. Perhaps you had a faulty unit? I can guarantee the SGS2 last far longer than 3-4 hours, ESPECIALLY with all of the above you mentioned switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Selwin Snape View Post
    I don't know why people hate on other phones other than the iPhone. I mean, I'm a hardcore apple fan and 95% of laptops and desktops and what not, I own are from apple because I love their products. The new phone to compete with the 4S sounds awesome. The thing that everyone forgets is that this will push apple to further their products even more, which in the end benefits all of us. If like to try out this new galaxy phone, but I'll stay with my 4S. But I won't hate on other phones because the more competition, the better it is for us consumers who love apple products because it forces apple to up their game.
    Many people feel the need to justify their purchase. It isn't enough for them that they picked the product they liked. They grab at any "hard evidence" that the product they picked is irrefutably the better product in any and every possible way. This isn't unique to Apple products. Been to any video game console sites? There are people that swear that the 360 is the better console while the opposition swears the PS3 is the better console.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-20-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Clockspeed on any device, not just smart phones, is completely irrelevant. It's not like the good old days when clock speed actually meant something.
    These tests are done on brand new out of the box phones with no content installed like in everyday use

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    These tests are done on brand new out of the box phones with no content installed like in everyday use
    I believe the OP is talking about the actual chip comparison. A 1ghz dual core tegra 2 is not the same as a dual core 1ghz A5. They haven't been comparable in desktops for nearly a decade, and have never truly been comparable in smartphones.