+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Want to Tether to Your iPhone's Data Connection for FREE?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Tethering is probably one of the iPhone's most useful on-the-go features. Tethering is a very popular function of the iPhone. It's something that allows you to have an internet connection
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default [Giveaway] Want to Tether to Your iPhone's Data Connection for FREE?

Tethering is probably one of the iPhone's most useful on-the-go features.

Tethering is a very popular function of the iPhone. It's something that allows you to have an internet connection for your Wi-Fi devices no matter where you go. If you can get a 3G or Edge signal on your iPhone, then you can get Wi-Fi on your computer, or other Wi-Fi device. Unauthorized tethering is frowned upon on cellular service providers, so if you use this, we ask that you use this with care. This is our disclaimer to you: unauthorized tethering is a violation of your cellular service contract and your cellular service provider has the right to pursue you for damages involved with breaking your terms of service. Modmyi is offering you some outlook as to how you can tether for free, but we will not be held accountable if your cellular service provider finds you tethering without paying for it legitimately. Actions taken beyond reading this review are completely of your business and will be treated as such.

My-Wi is a popular tethering platform for jailbroken iDevices. But since iOS 4, Apple has included a built-in tethering option in the Settings app that allows you to use your iPhone as a wireless modem. Since that option has been released, developer Sam Bingner has been able to circumvent that system so that you can use the native tethering function that is already built into iOS. The application is called TetherMe, and it will not install any applications on your iDevice, it will simply unlock the native tethering that's already built into the capabilities of your iPhone which usually can only be unlocked on your cellular service provider. This means, you get to use the built-in personal hotspot function after you install this jailbreak tweak.

How does it work?

It works like this. After you install the tweak from Cydia, you can go into the TetherMe settings in your Settings app and enable the personal hotspot feature:

After you do that, in the Settings app in the section where you can pick a Wi-Fi network, enter airplane mode, and do those sorts of things, you will see a section called Personal Hotspot. Tapping on that will bring up these settings:

As you can see, you can enter whatever you want your password to be. That password is a WPA2 encrypted password that acts as any password that you would use on a traditional wireless router. You also see the switch to turn the device's personal hotspot feature on and off. Below that, you see some of your options. You can use your iPhone as a hotspot by connection via USB. This means that your 3G or Edge connection will be hardwired to your computer via a USB connection. A wired connection is faster and more secure than the wireless options. So if security and speed are your taste, then use the wired option. Alternatively, you can use Bluetooth to tether. What this means is that when you turn Bluetooth on, your 3G or Edge connection will be shared with a wireless device via Bluetooth. Bluetooth is slower, but since it's a short-range radio signal, it will offer some security to you because only so many devices will be able to reach the Bluetooth signal. If you want a wireless connection that is a little on the safe side, use Bluetooth. If you want to be able to let a myriad of devices connect to your iPhone, then use the Wi-Fi option. This means that your 3G or Edge connection will be broadcasted as if your iPhone was a wireless router. This function will travel great distances; about the distance of a traditional wireless router. Albeit faster than Bluetooth, this means that more people can pick it up and also means less security. It will also be slower than the wired connection because there is more radio interference to be picked up when you are connecting to a wireless signal. The interference will affect your speed in both the Bluetooth option and the Wi-Fi option.

As you can see from the first image in this review, connecting to the hotspot will put a blue bar at the top of the lock screen. When you use your iPhone, the Springboard will look like this, showing you how many connections are using your personal hotspot:

TetherMe is an awesome tweak from Cydia to get if you need to get internet on your laptop from far from home without any Wi-Fi near you. It's also fully compatible with Apple's new iOS 5.

Name: TetherMe
    Price: $4.99
    Version: 2.2-30
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Sam Bingner
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

I was able to talk to Sam Bingner via email and ask him some questions about himself and also why he made the tweak:

Anthony: In about a paragraph, introduce yourself to the Modmyi readers!
    Sam: I'm not sure what to say about myself, but I have been programming on and off since 1994. I helped build the dhs.org web interface, and was one of the key programmers in hacking the PhatBox (which is no longer sold). I actually avoided Apple until my sister (the apple-crack dealer) got me hooked by loaning me an iPhone 3G to play with for a couple days...

Anthony: What was it that made you come up with the idea to make TetherMe?
    Sam: I actually used a competing product on 3.X, but when 4.0 was released they doubled their price for the update and required me to pay again. I did not like that, so I wrote TetherMe as a less expensive alternative.

Anthony: Are you planning any major updates to TetherMe?
    Sam: There are always a lot of things I am looking into adding, but because it is designed to be as small and possible and use apple functionality, it is often difficult to realize some of updates. It does have a new method to obfuscate tethered traffic to some extent, but iOS does not have the support for what I want. If such support is added to iOS in the future, or I am able to find another way, I would like to provide an option reassemble all packets on the iDevice.

Anthony: What other things have you previously made for iDevices?
    Sam: I also wrote Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM), MiddleWhat, and a number of supporting programs for SAM.

Anthony: Are you working on anything special at this point in time?
    Sam: I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to expand the capabilities of SAM and the framework of programs I wrote to support it.

TetherMe is a very high quality application that unlocks the Apple-native personal hotspot feature of the iPhone. It does obscure your data in a way that can help hide that you are tethering from your cellular service provider; but it's not fool-proof. It's a great application to use if you want to use your own data freely and how you want to. As always, thanks for the excellent application, Sam!

The Giveaway!

Sam was gracious enough to give away FIVE copies of TetherMe.

Here's how to win:

Follow me @BouchardAnthony
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet; if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @BouchardAnthony so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "I entered a contest to win TetherMe for free iPhone tethering!"

Winners will be announced on Monday, November 21. Good luck to all of you!

Sources: Sam Bingner
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

Can I enter without a twitter? I don't have one :P
    Cydia number: 640791

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a way to improve on obscuring tethering from the carriers. Would it be possible in future updates?

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

only problem is that this form of tethering might be monitored closely by AT&T or Verizon because its native and there's probably some sort of thing that notifies them that you are doing so. this is why i have avoided this type of tethering previously, i personally use pda net and mywi. i cannot say that this is for certain, but i really dont feel like risking it, especially cuz im a grandfathered original unlimited iphone plan customer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I think I'll pass. I bought TetherMe previously, so probably could get this version for no or little additional cost, but I've been previously warned by AT&T, and can't again put my unlimited plan at risk.

I'll wait a few more years, maybe WiMax will be widely enough deployed that true unlimited service will be available. Until then, I've learned to be happy with what I can do on the iPhone without tethering.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll pass. I bought TetherMe previously, so probably could get this version for no or little additional cost, but I've been previously warned by AT&T, and can't again put my unlimited plan at risk.

I'll wait a few more years, maybe WiMax will be widely enough deployed that true unlimited service will be available. Until then, I've learned to be happy with what I can do on the iPhone without tethering.
    Trooper Sam, quick question, I am also with AT&T and grandfathered into the unlimited plan and have used PDANet sparingly, but how were you warned about your data use? It would seem to me that if the data plan is unlimited and these programs like PDANet obscure the tethering done, how would AT&T know what you were doing? Or, is that the point, they just make a threat and hope you will stop using so much data.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronm69 View Post
    Trooper Sam, quick question, I am also with AT&T and grandfathered into the unlimited plan and have used PDANet sparingly, but how were you warned about your data use? It would seem to me that if the data plan is unlimited and these programs like PDANet obscure the tethering done, how would AT&T know what you were doing? Or, is that the point, they just make a threat and hope you will stop using so much data.
    When I received my first text warning, I was using TetherMe. I switched to PDANet when they announced the hiding feature, and thought all was well, as I received no more warnings. As more and more people, including PDANet users started saying they'd been warned, I decided to lie low and stop tethering for a bit.

I still had received no warnings, until one day when I had to call 611 for a billing issue. When I called, instead of getting a customer service rep, I was sent right to the tethering task force. They told me that I had been sent more texts and emails and the snail-mailed letter. None of those had found me, but they insisted that they had sent them all. Of course I plead ignorance, and that I knew nothing of tethering. I immediately swore off all tethering for good, as I knew that if they got me again, I'd be on the 4gb tethering plan.

How did they catch me? I'll probably never know. That's why I can't risk it, even if they're bluffing. Their tactics have been effective with me, even making me go so far as to setup a DD-WRT wifi repeater in my home to make sure I use wifi whenever possible to keep them from throttling me.

Scare tactics? Maybe. That's why they call 'em scare tactics...they're scary.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Using this app is the quickest way to get busted by AT&T. I was warned by them and had my unlimited plan changed to 4gb with tether while using this app. (I've gotten it back now though through rather clever means) but stay away if you value your unlimited data.

Thanks

There's not much you can improve on a simple program like this. Mainly just further improve hiding the data from carriers. Also maybe add the option to disable each function, I don't use Bluetooth at all.

@Archez39
    Last edited by Archez; 11-20-2011 at 06:13 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    When I received my first text warning, I was using TetherMe. I switched to PDANet when they announced the hiding feature, and thought all was well, as I received no more warnings. As more and more people, including PDANet users started saying they'd been warned, I decided to lie low and stop tethering for a bit.

I still had received no warnings, until one day when I had to call 611 for a billing issue. When I called, instead of getting a customer service rep, I was sent right to the tethering task force. They told me that I had been sent more texts and emails and the snail-mailed letter. None of those had found me, but they insisted that they had sent them all. Of course I plead ignorance, and that I knew nothing of tethering. I immediately swore off all tethering for good, as I knew that if they got me again, I'd be on the 4gb tethering plan.

How did they catch me? I'll probably never know. That's why I can't risk it, even if they're bluffing. Their tactics have been effective with me, even making me go so far as to setup a DD-WRT wifi repeater in my home to make sure I use wifi whenever possible to keep them from throttling me.

Scare tactics? Maybe. That's why they call 'em scare tactics...they're scary.
    They are not kidding I used PDA net only if I needed Internet really bad an they put me on that 4gb **** an I was unlimited

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it's great that us apparent few that choose not to buy into the social hooplah of twitter and the likeness have NO chance whatsoever to get a shot at these giveaways.

Thanks

Bought this when I got my Verizon IP4 on unlimited.I burn through 10 to 15 GB's a month. No problems at all!!Thanks for a great (low cost) product. Best $4.99 I ever spent.

Thanks

Can't wait to win! Anthony your awesome for all these giveaways! Kudos tithe devs for hooking us up! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rayzah_blade View Post
    I think it's great that us apparent few that choose not to buy into the social hooplah of twitter and the likeness have NO chance whatsoever to get a shot at these giveaways.
    Get a twitter
    You might actually like it. I do, best thing I ever did.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@dave01568 tweeted entry https://twitter.com/dave01568/status/138278880447442944

Great contest, great forum, great app!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb283 View Post
    Can I enter without a twitter? I don't have one :P
    Cydia number: 640791
    Likely not, seeing as how it's free and takes all of two minutes to sign up...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    only problem is that this form of tethering might be monitored closely by AT&T or Verizon because its native and there's probably some sort of thing that notifies them that you are doing so. this is why i have avoided this type of tethering previously, i personally use pda net and mywi. i cannot say that this is for certain, but i really dont feel like risking it, especially cuz im a grandfathered original unlimited iphone plan customer.

Agreed! I was cought by AT&T early this year & almost lost my unlimited plan so be causious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Likely not, seeing as how it's free and takes all of two minutes to sign up...
    Same with twitter. For twitter you don't even need a email to sign up. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't allow participating here too. Besides, I'm sure they'd know if someone was making multiple accounts because you'd see the same cydia account number over and over again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Damn.. I feel so sorry for you guys, because of how scared you are of your carrier, and what the heck's up with those tiny data plans you get? 2 - 4 Gb? I live in denmark. Here the smallest data plan is 5 Gb, and the largest is 40 Gb/mo. And everybody has the right to tether all they want.
    Why are people being punished for tethering in the states?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

You shouldn't be worried about your company busting you if you use it sparingly. TetherMe has (some) security for you. Obviously, tethering on a Windows machine with Internet Explorer will register with different information on AT&T's side than tethering through Safari on Mac OS X. iOS mobile Safari is built off of Mac OS X Safari. So you have better security if you have a Mac.

Thanks

I was doing everything right so that they should not have been able to detect my tethering...PDANet with hiding, tethering an iPad, even SSH'ing the iPad to reset its TTL. Despite all of the security, they saw my tethering anyway.