+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Want to Tether to Your iPhone's Data Connection for FREE?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
so...It's not really free if it's $5, is it?
    Green Apple
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Does it work on Tmobile unlimited plan? I have grandfathered $4.99 TM plan on one of my iphones.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ttatta View Post
    Does it work on Tmobile unlimited plan? I have grandfathered $4.99 TM plan on one of my iphones.
    You're wanting to tether edge? Even if it does work I am not sure it would be worth the pain and suffering.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    It's free if you win. Enter the giveaway!

Thanks

It's free until Apple slaps you in the face with their tethering package!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

What about people that have the $25 dollar 2 GB plan? Has anyone had that and gotten one of these text messages from At&t? Currently waiting on the JB for my Mom's 8 GB iPhone 4 and she does not need tethering for anything but checking her email and light web surfing, no videos or anything like that, so she would be well within her 2 GB of data each month. And I have always used MyWi and never had any problem. But dont tether much anymore since I have wifi at home and at School.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    What about people that have the $25 dollar 2 GB plan? Has anyone had that and gotten one of these text messages from At&t. Currntly waiting on a JB for my Mom's 8 GB iPhone 4 and she does not tether for anything but checking her email and light web surfing, no videos or anything like that, so she would be well within her 2 GB of data each month. And I have always used MyWi and never had any problem. But dont tether much anymore since I have wifi at home and at School.
    I have the 2GB plan on AT&T. No messages for me yet and I've used TetherMe for close to a year.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you compare "TetherMe" to "pdaNet"? I have pdaNet. Don't know, do i need to use TetherMe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Can you compare "TetherMe" to "pdaNet"? I have pdaNet. Don't know, do i need to use TetherMe?
    You can use TetherMe instead of pdaNet. TetherMe unlocks the built-in personal hotspot feature, that's why I love it so much.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I have the 2GB plan on AT&T. No messages for me yet and I've used TetherMe for close to a year.
    Ok cool, thanks Anthony. Maybe AT&T just targets those excessive data users anyways. Or has anyone that got these messages gone over like 5 GB on the unlimited data plan?

Thanks

Ok cool, thanks Anthony. Maybe AT&T just targets those excessive data users anyways. Or has anyone that got these messages gone over like 5 GB on the unlimited data plan?
    I use the tethering on and off and I don't think I've ever used more than 600MB at once (I downloaded a game on 3G on my computer). It's really hard to reach high amounts of data unless you do it intentionally. If you stay within 50% of your data plan's limits they won't even bother you

Thanks

I've read mixed reviews honestly. I've been in touch with quite a few people that have the unlimited data (since I offer the loophole service) and they have reported getting the "throttling" message anywhere from 10-14GB of use (remarkably I haven't heard anyone get the message under 10GB... doesn't mean it doesn't happen). At least one person said he had gotten it tethering on a 2GB plan, but he was also going over the 2GB consistently, so it may be limited to the amount of data used. In any case, if you don't have an unlimited data plan to lose, even if ATT slaps the tethering plan on your account, you will have a prorated plan to pay for at the worst. You can easily just log right in to ATT's website and remove that tethering plan and move yourself back to the 2GB plan you were on before.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I haven't had a problem with TetherMe on my ViPhone and back when I had AT&T...so I've used it for like a year and it's always been great. I definitely would recommend it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How did you get your unlimited plan back? I am looking at the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoria2 View Post
    Using this app is the quickest way to get busted by AT&T. I was warned by them and had my unlimited plan changed to 4gb with tether while using this app. (I've gotten it back now though through rather clever means) but stay away if you value your unlimited data.
    How did you get your unlimited plan back? I am looking at the same thing. I was told my plan was changing Dec. 3rd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    I was doing everything right so that they should not have been able to detect my tethering...PDANet with hiding, tethering an iPad, even SSH'ing the iPad to reset its TTL. Despite all of the security, they saw my tethering anyway.
    That's weird. I use pdanet with hiding turned off (can't connect to any lobbies in mw3 with it on). 17 gigs this last cycle (ended 2 days ago) and didn't even get throttled. Maybe because I'm in a very rural area?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caf360 View Post
    How did you get your unlimited plan back? I am looking at the same thing. I was told my plan was changing Dec. 3rd

My wife still has unlimited data even though she uses about 500mb a month. So I changed both of our cell numbers and swapped her sim card for mine, then just gave our respective friends and family our new numbers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    When I received my first text warning, I was using TetherMe. I switched to PDANet when they announced the hiding feature, and thought all was well, as I received no more warnings. As more and more people, including PDANet users started saying they'd been warned, I decided to lie low and stop tethering for a bit.

I still had received no warnings, until one day when I had to call 611 for a billing issue. When I called, instead of getting a customer service rep, I was sent right to the tethering task force. They told me that I had been sent more texts and emails and the snail-mailed letter. None of those had found me, but they insisted that they had sent them all. Of course I plead ignorance, and that I knew nothing of tethering. I immediately swore off all tethering for good, as I knew that if they got me again, I'd be on the 4gb tethering plan.

How did they catch me? I'll probably never know. That's why I can't risk it, even if they're bluffing. Their tactics have been effective with me, even making me go so far as to setup a DD-WRT wifi repeater in my home to make sure I use wifi whenever possible to keep them from throttling me.

Scare tactics? Maybe. That's why they call 'em scare tactics...they're scary.
    How many GB's are you guys that are getting warnings using in a month? I have hit somewhere around 12 GB before, but I don't do it regularly. It seems to me that if AT&T contacted you with a warning, you could claim streaming video uses a lot data, like HBOGo. I have been with AT&T for a long time and wonder how they are proving you are tethering when there is so much available legally on the iphone that can create a lot of data, after all that is why I got the unlimited plan when I did so I wouldn't have to worry about how much data I am using. Or am I missing something? Would love some more feedback from those that have actually been warned or bumped from an unlimited plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronm69 View Post
    How many GB's are you guys that are getting warnings using in a month? I have hit somewhere around 12 GB before, but I don't do it regularly. It seems to me that if AT&T contacted you with a warning, you could claim streaming video uses a lot data, like HBOGo. I have been with AT&T for a long time and wonder how they are proving you are tethering when there is so much available legally on the iphone that can create a lot of data, after all that is why I got the unlimited plan when I did so I wouldn't have to worry about how much data I am using. Or am I missing something? Would love some more feedback from those that have actually been warned or bumped from an unlimited plan.
    I claimed streaming the first time they contacted me, then they said if I'm caught doing it again they'll change my plan. That was back in April while using mywi. I still tethered after that using PDA net on hide level 2 up until September when I wanted to see if tether me works because PDAnet hide level 2 caused some sites to conflict with my iPad (appleinsider). I went back to PDAnet shortly after that because it was faster than tetherme. Then out of no where last month I received a text, and a letter telling me that due to tethering my plan is being changed. called cust serv, and they said I can't do anything to stop the change because it's automatic and done by the computer once tethering is detected after your account has been flagged once before. She said its done this way to prevent sensitive reps from reversing the process. I've used between 3-7 gb / month and some months 8 or 9. She said it has nothing to do with data usage and that something I did triggered the system in September. That's when I installed tetherme. I've been with AT&T for a while as well and always tethered using mywi. I think we started getting caught with mywi because they went from adhoc connections in mywi 4.0 on iOS < 4.3. After apple implemented tethering and mywi started using the tethering apn as well as implementing infrastructure mode they started to see people tethering. A friend of mine is still using mywi 4.0 on iOS 4.1 and hasn't received so much as a warning. He uses it as his home Internet service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, so with all the comments together, would it be safe to use mywi on my Verizon iPhone 4S with grandfathered unlimited data family plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm Luc... I register me alway's with the name of my dearest deceased woman... That for security reasons... http (s) You know... Sorry 'Modmyi'...
    I accidentally ended up searching for info on this site... I'm not so good in English but Modmyi give to now the best info... I buy yesterday from Cydia the TetherMe... I install it and ... Yes afther much problems... You know how to set up etc... It works... I'm so happy... This give much freedom... Specialy for those that have not much money free.

Note: Here on this site... that was where I look for... can I change the passwd... yes... So that is be don.

2: To now I set everything on ON... But it is not clear to me... 3 options under passwd... wifi-bluetoth and USB.

There is no possibility to choose... I think it goes automaticly... WELL... I connect to my own pc... It is connected with a B-BOX 2 router from carrier Belgacom... Belgium. And YES... As I see her on the site... (personal hotspot: 1 Connetion) ... What now... Is my pc now connected with the 3G from the iPhone? Or is the iPhone connected with the USB recognized from the pc? Bit confusing!

3: What now... Can I continuous use the 3G without problem that the iphone carrier going to see that I use (steal) his 3G network?

Before... I paid for 25MB... an rate 3 euro... not so expensive but 25MB? That was not enough to use the map on the route, listen music etc... Therefore... again... this Cydia app from Sauric is great... great-great -great!!!

4: The differences... So now I use TetherMe... I see other... MyWi, PDANet as the most important... They are more expensive... expensive is not the topic, if they are better... I buy them... The question: are they better than TetherMe?

My using case: I use maps on the route, Bike etc... I search for info on Internet, plat music and film... not game... IS TETHERME ENOUGH?

Again... can I use this personal hotspot 24 houre on 24 houre without have problems with the carrier... the provider?

5: Last Question

MMS... using mms... I tried it... But they don't wanna sent... Maybe are the photo from iphone to big? Sorry ... I try it with the provider settings... To now I don't use it with the TetherMe settings... Is late now... 04 houre in the morning and tired... That is something for to morrow... I'm curious... Maybe it is free of charges?

So that's is my contribution...

Luc