+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Catch Your iDevice Thief With Ease!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Useless for iPod touch... Your iPod can't send out an email without being connected to wifi, and you can't connect to wifi if you can't get into the phone, and
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Useless for iPod touch...
    Your iPod can't send out an email without being connected to wifi, and you can't connect to wifi if you can't get into the phone, and you can't get into the phone without knowing the passcode.
    Last edited by iPod; 11-19-2011 at 09:08 AM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redline11786 View Post
    Accidents happen dude. Not everyone has their phone on their minds at all times. That's why these things happen...no need to be judgmental and call someone irresponsible for misplacing their phone.
    Obviously it's happened to you already, that's the only reason I see that you would pick that one part of my comment and get defensive. you just called your own self out on this buddy. I didn't call a name. I didn't even make "judgement". It was a question. You read my posted thought, you got prematurely "judgmental" and took it personally.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    You sound like an excellent iphone thief. To be fair, yeah someone could do all that, assuming that they know anything about iPhones and DFU mode. Assuming that they even know about Find my iPhone. Witch they probably dont. More then likely, when somebody either steals, or finds an iPhone, the first thing that they are going to try to do is unlock and rummage through it. And even if they are smart enough to shut down, eject sim card, and restore(technically they dont have to DFU restore), it doesnt hurt to have an extra layer of protection that apple does not offer. Plus the tweak takes a picture and logs the locations while they are shutting down.
    Haha. Nope, not a thief, but I'm not stupid. Alot of people who steal these at bars and such do know how to circumvent security. Kinda like how car thieves know how to get around car alarms. DFU is needed if the device is password protected. iTunes won't let you restore until you enter the password.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm so buying this. I lost my iPad last month and never got it back because the thief turned it off. With this it will catch the thief when they turn it off.

Thanks

Is anyone else having an issue getting this to work with Androidlock XT?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Through what servers are info and photo sent? Seems it's not using Mail app since no related sent message shows. Thank you

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Game2Freak View Post
    Is anyone else having an issue getting this to work with Androidlock XT?
    Not me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    i have a feeling if it has the message "i caught you" they will just through it away or through it into a river or some crap haha
    LOL thats the same thing i was thinking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shhnizzle View Post
    LOL thats the same thing i was thinking
    Well as shown in the settings, you can actually make the message say anything you want, or better, not have a message at all!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
    You sound like an excellent iphone thief. To be fair, yeah someone could do all that, assuming that they know anything about iPhones and DFU mode. Assuming that they even know about Find my iPhone. Witch they probably dont. More then likely, when somebody either steals, or finds an iPhone, the first thing that they are going to try to do is unlock and rummage through it. And even if they are smart enough to shut down, eject sim card, and restore(technically they dont have to DFU restore), it doesnt hurt to have an extra layer of protection that apple does not offer. Plus the tweak takes a picture and logs the locations while they are shutting down.

Actually the high, that is very high number of jailbreakers leads me to believe they do know DFU and how to use it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    i have a feeling if it has the message "i caught you" they will just through it away or through it into a river or some crap haha
    I agree. I wouldn't want the thief to know I was on to him/her.

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried the free version, it has a bug where it'll make any app's screen when launched miniature and unable to navigate (even Settings or Cydia). Probably conflicts with another tweak I have installed or something. Had to respring into Safe Mode, start up Cydia and delete the app. I believe the pro version said it fixed a bug, maybe that's the bug it fixed.I'm running iOS 5.0 via the tethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zon View Post
    I tried the free version, it has a bug where it'll make any app's screen when launched miniature and unable to navigate (even Settings or Cydia). Probably conflicts with another tweak I have installed or something. Had to respring into Safe Mode, start up Cydia and delete the app. I believe the pro version said it fixed a bug, maybe that's the bug it fixed.I'm running iOS 5.0 via the tethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4.
    I haven't had any problems like that with the Pro version. Check that one out if you're interested.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This looks cool and all for the stupid criminal that steals your iPhone out of your pocket or finds it left at the movie theater. Sadly it looks easy to overcome to those of us in the iCommunity. I won't go into details of at least the 3 ways I could think of to bypass this. Thankfully most people who steal are too stupid to think of these things.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    Yawnzorz. Call me when a dev let's you password lock the ability to put the device in DFU. Find an iPhone? Power off. Remove SIM. Go home. Launch iTunes on computer. DFU. Restore.

What does this cute picture taking app do to prevent this? Nothing. No SIM? No location. No password attempt? No picture. $5 wasted, iPhone just as stolen as ever.

Want security? Code an app that prevents DFU without password. Also, make a website. Log in, report it lost/stolen, and no matter the SIM in the device, the phone constantly "phones home" GPS data, even if only on WiFi. Combine these features with the picture capture feature and the fact that VZW and Sprint ban ESN numbers and AT&T is cracking down heavily on ECID numbers will greatly improve the security.

But, I suppose this works against the run of the mill crackhead.
    That would actually be impossible. DFU mode is hardcoded in the device; it can't be stopped.
    Last edited by Gamemaster77; 11-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    That would actually be impossible. DFU mode is hardcoded in the device; it can't be stopped.
    Yes it can. Take a screwdriver to the device, remove either of the two buttons. You can use jailbreak tweaks such as multitasking gestures, or SBSettings to power off or go home/in between apps instead.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

The best security app IMO, would be a method of password protecting DFU abilities. Add to that a server side method of reporting it lost from any browser. Doing so would block SSH abilities, the launching of any app, charging, 32 pin connectivity and prevent powering off, without password. DFU would be locked by default. WiFi would auto enable and auto join networks in the background and GPS data would phone home to the server discretely. Keep the ability to send messages should you choose to or snap pics remotely if connected to cell or wifi. Remote one way FaceTime with sound and ability to record would be nice as well. Basically, the ability to discretely track and view the perp. And as soon as you report it lost or stolen, the phone would be a useless brick, unable to be restored or accessed in any way without your password. This, if done widespread by Apple and other phone makers, it would effectively make phone theft pointless. Tons of coding, if possible.
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 11-20-2011 at 03:07 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This product is a very good idea. If it becomes popular enough, we could put a sticker on our Iphones: "This device is protected by iGotYa". Nobody would even try to steal it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes it can. Take a screwdriver to the device, remove either of the two buttons. You can use jailbreak tweaks such as multitasking gestures, or SBSettings to power off or go home/in between apps instead.
    Well I meant it is impossible to stop it with software. As long as all the hardware is unmodified no tweak is going to stop the device from going into DFU mode.

Thanks

I've got the free version and it works okay. It does a good job of taking the picture, but the GPS coordinates are usually off by half a mile or so. The other day I accidentally typed my password wrong and the email I received said I was in the middle of a lake some 75 miles away!