+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Get a Brightness Slider in Your App Switcher With App Switcher Brightness

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default [Giveaway] Get a Brightness Slider in Your App Switcher With App Switcher Brightness

Today, we have direct competition with Brightness Switcher; App Switcher Brightness.

As we covered a while ago, Brightness Switcher; made by Yllier allowed you to add a brightness slider to your App Switcher. This allowed you to have an easier way to adjust your screen brightness without having to open up your Settings app to change it. In this review, we will be showing you Brightness Switcher's closest competitor, App Switcher Brightness, a tweak made by Will Homer. We will also show you differences between the two tweaks and allow you to make the choice for yourself, exclusively on Modmyi!

Since App Switcher Brightness is in today's spotlight, I will leave Brightness Switcher's review on its own thread, here. But I will show you the difference in how they look:

On the left is Yllier's Brightness Switcher and on the right is Will Homer's App Switcher Brightness. The major difference is that Yllier's version comes with a large amount of space between the sliders to make paging in the App Switcher a lot easier. Will Homer's version comes with a closer spacing, and includes the AirPlay button. Both Tweaks are compatible with iOS 5, and both tweaks work perfectly with Ori Kadosh's LockScreen Multitasking, a free tweak that brings the multitasking App Switcher to the lock screen. Will Homer's tweak, having the sliders so close together, makes paging a little harder. You need to grab the page at the far right to page. Yllier's tweak lets you page from right in the middle of the page. Will Homer's tweak comes with no customization settings, while Yllier's tweak allows you to choose between having both a brightness and volume slider in the App Switcher or simply having the brightness slider replace the volume slider, while Will Homer's tweak only let's you use both. In visual aspects, Will Homer's version has been preferred, while in functionality, Yllier's version has been preferred.

Both of these tweaks cost the same amount; 99 in Cydia. With the same functionality, but with different appearances and customizations, these tweaks offer some very fierce competition. It's up to you guys to pick which one will work better for you!

Name: App Switcher Brightness
    Price: 99
    Developer: Will Homer
    Repo: BigBoss
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

I was able to talk to Will Homer via email and ask a little about him and App Switcher Brightness:

Anthony: In a paragraph or more, tell us a little bit about yourself. You can include your name, your school status, your occupation, how you became a developer, or anything that you would like to share with us.
    Will: My name is Will Homer and I am a 19-year-old Software Engineering student. I started iOS development just over a year ago on my first ever Apple device (a 3rd gen iPod touch) and have loved Apple and iOS ever since. I just love how easy jailbreaking has made it to tweak existing apps to do the things that I want them to do and also Cydia for allowing me and other developers to share work with people.

Anthony: What gave you the idea to make this tweak? Was there a special story behind it?
    Will: I got the idea for the tweak after seeing the brightness bar on the iPad. No special story to tell, sorry.

Anthony: Is the tweak fully compatible with iOS 5?
    Will: The tweak is fully compatible with iOS5 and has been for some time.

Anthony: Are you planning any major updates for this tweak?
    Will: No major updates planned at the moment, it does what it needs to do perfectly. :)

Anthony: What other Cydia packages and tweaks are the responsible for?
    Will: I have many other Cydia packages. I sell a few other App Switcher-related tweaks: Alarming, BooksmarksBarEnhancer for iPad, and my latest WeeSpeeddial a speeddial widget for Notification Center that was also featured on Modmyi.

Anthony: What are your top 5 favorite Cydia tweaks that you did not create?
    Will: My top 5 Cydia tweaks/Apps: iFile, SBSettings, Safari Download Manager, Activator, and Barrel.

The Giveaway!

Will Homer was generous enough to give away TEN copies of App Switcher Brightness.

Here's how to win:

Follow me @BouchardAnthony
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet; if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @BouchardAnthony so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "I entered a contest to win App Switcher Brightness for iPhone!"

For some extra browning points in winning, leave a comment below on how App Switcher Brightness could be improved with your Twitter Handle included in the comment.

Winners will be announced on Saturday, November 19.

Sources: Will Homer

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see this being useful to some. Pretty neat idea.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Nice. App Switcher Brightness (thumbs up)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Sbsettings all the way

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should have done this natively. They should be doing more with the multitask bar as well as the notification center.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iZangetsu View Post
    Sbsettings all the way
    That's also my opinion on that!!!!
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Thanks

Nice!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iZangetsu View Post
    Sbsettings all the way
    ditto

Thanks

The only improvement I can image is popping up a brightness switcher with activator (not inside the multitask switcher). Something like the one with sbsetting, but invoking by activator. https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Commandor View Post
    The only improvement I can image is popping up a brightness switcher with activator (not inside the multitask switcher). Something like the one with sbsetting, but invoking by activator. https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor
    Ya it's called brightness activator actions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

How about a JB for iPhone 4S so we can actually try this stuff?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a very nice tweak

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that I entered the competition, but I think apps like this can be improved by having an option to change volume to a three selection sliding knob that changes the iPhone 4 LED from OFF, ON and PULSE.I already have brightness from UIsettings and volume as hardware buttons. It'd make sense to me at least and offer a few different options.