+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Side With SOPA?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple siding with SOPA? Apple has been very hush-hush about the whole ideal. They haven't openly said yes or no, which is probably a good thing for the company since
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Side With SOPA?

Apple siding with SOPA?

Apple has been very hush-hush about the whole ideal. They haven't openly said yes or no, which is probably a good thing for the company since siding either way could hurt the company's stock or consumer faith. Regardless of Apple not saying anything, 9to5Mac has found some incredibly coincidental situations that might put Apple into the spot of agreeing with SOPA. If you don't know what SOPA is, you can read my rendition of it here. This rendition is completely from my own mind with some quotes from other sources. It is opinionated, but it also holds some realistic facts. Feel free to read it if you are interested, leave comments if you like.

So what has Apple done, said, or shown that could possibly put them on the side of SOPA? For starters, Apple is very vulgar against piracy. They have shown it through their high security, application piracy prevention, and their own Web Site which hosts a place to report piracy to Apple. True, Apple does have some strict piracy allegations, but so what?

It goes further. 9to5Mac reports that Apple supports SOPA by Proxy. Looking at what that means right off the bat can be hard to understand. Analyzing it myself, I think it means that Apple supports it quietly. I think that because using a Proxy server yourself has the effect of hiding you from whatever you are connecting to. It could mean something else, but I think it means Apple supports SOPA secretly and they don't want to share their official opinion which could hurt their company's reputation. This paragraph is open for discussion, so feel free to comment in the comments below.

Furthermore, Apple is a close relative to Business Software Alliance (BSA) and the Software Information Industry Association (SIIA). These companies work hard to battle piracy as it happens; additionally, Apple works with them to battle it. Piracy is a major problem around the world, but the United States has a major figure of piracy on its own. Albeit piracy is a worldwide problem, the United States accounts for a very high number of the world's piracy. Apple, working with anti-piracy companies, leads to the implication that they might side with the moral meaning of SOPA. Many very large companies have already spoken out against SOPA, ironically enough, Apple did not. The list of companies that spoke out against SOPA can be read about in my rendition.

Since Apple has not openly stated an opinion against SOPA, it's very hard to discern exactly what they feel about it. But one thing is certain, Apple has a very rough policy for pirates. They help corporations battle piracy, and themselves, offer a way to report it. Since SOPA has the main objective to help eliminate piracy, it only makes sense. Since Apple has remained so quiet about it, it certainly raises some flags. But we shouldn't assume without first gathering some facts. However we can still discuss our feelings about it!

Do you think Apple will side with SOPA? Share in the comments below!

Sources: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes they will. Apple is all about the money.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple doesnt say anything about anything anyway. When was the last time apple commented on anything besides their own business? We can't start assuming this is an apple conspiracy when it is clearly not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    Yes they will. Apple is all about the money.
    I hate when people say stuff like this. Its like saying "yeah water sure is wet". If you are a publicly traded company you are required to be "all about the money". Yes, required. Your stockholders can even sue if the company isn't "all about the money"

While I agree with the author, I also find that you can take this article and replace "apple" with any software company name and it would be the same case.

The one thing I do find odd is where the author says "Apple is very vulgar against piracy"...vulgar compared to who? Almost all the big software companies I can think of have far harsher stances on piracy than Apple ever has and in the case of MS their relationship with the BSA is a magnitude greater than Apples. Not to mention that for a company being described as being so "vulgar" on piracy they have been one of the few who decided that they wouldn't overburden their users as a way of dealing with it. Look at any of the past apple software products and find one that required anything more than a serial. Most didn't require anything at all, look at OSX for instance.

I mean heck up until this year you could just download iwork and ilife trials right off apples own website that were complete full versions and pirating it simply meant googling "blah blah serial number". No cracks, no patches, no internet activation or hosts file editing BS required.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

The fact of the matter is their assets are intellectual in nature and there are laws to protect the entire infrastructure that gains value from said property. Everybody protects what is valuable to them, in different fashions but yet the same principle. Lah dih dah. So it is confirmed, any company that's run responsibly to the investors, owners, employees, end users and the economy in general ARE against piracy in principle. Why single out Apple? As successful as they are, others should learn that keeping your nose in your own business and just go about it breeds success, even against popular opinion, as long as what you're bringing to the table is truly innovative. Very general statement.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    I hate when people say stuff like this. Its like saying "yeah water sure is wet". If you are a publicly traded company you are required to be "all about the money". Yes, required. Your stockholders can even sue if the company isn't "all about the money"

While I agree with the author, I also find that you can take this article and replace "apple" with any software company name and it would be the same case.

The one thing I do find odd is where the author says "Apple is very vulgar against piracy"...vulgar compared to who? Almost all the big software companies I can think of have far harsher stances on piracy than Apple ever has and in the case of MS their relationship with the BSA is a magnitude greater than Apples. Not to mention that for a company being described as being so "vulgar" on piracy they have been one of the few who decided that they wouldn't overburden their users as a way of dealing with it. Look at any of the past apple software products and find one that required anything more than a serial. Most didn't require anything at all, look at OSX for instance.

I mean heck up until this year you could just download iwork and ilife trials right off apples own website that were complete full versions and pirating it simply meant googling "blah blah serial number". No cracks, no patches, no internet activation or hosts file editing BS required.
    Agree. And as I once heard someone say about Steam, it's not about thwarting pirates, it's about treating the paying customers well. All the "precautions" just make it more difficult for the real buyers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like Apple's trying to play both sides of the fence. One could imagine how many sites this would shut down.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Am I the only one that had no idea what this post was about after reading the entire thing? Most posts are self explanatory because we all generally know what is being discussed, however that clearly isn't the case here. While there was a link to some other diatribe about SOPA, a sentence explaining what it is, or even what the acronym stands for, could have turned this post into something far more meaningful to the readers. So now that I have clicked on the link, and I now know that SOPA stands for Stop Online Piracy Act, the article has a little more meaning, though I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with modding my 'i'. Having been a member since the site's inception, we seem to continually get farther and farther away from the core of what this was originally all about. I'm not saying the post has no place, I'm just wondering if it's not time to start a different section of the site to handle this kind of information dissemination.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post

Of course all companies want to make money. But even for a US company i think Apple is on the extreme side of many things, make money at any price. Freedom of the internet is worth nothing if it stands in the way to stop piracy and make money. I think many companies in US look with envy on Kina, "If we only were allowed to controll the internet, so much more money we could make."

And thats probably one of the problems with the economic in US, it's "all about the money". When it is like that you do things that give you fast money, and not money for a long time. It should be more focus on making a steady profit instead of making profit fast.

Isn't Facebook, Google, Mozilla also about making money? And they are against SOPA.

Green Apple chrodriguezmarydown's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope this doesn't happen... If it does we are closer to a "One World Order".... The US government will stop online free speech and control exactly what we can or can not see on the Internet.... I really hope this doesn't happen....