+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock The iPhone 4S Without Any Hardware or Software Changes (AT&T iPhone 4S Only)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Unlock The iPhone 4S Without Any Hardware or Software Changes (AT&T iPhone 4S Only)

A developer by the name of Caleb Daniels seems to have discovered a method that will unlock the AT&T version of the iPhone 4S without any software or hardware tweaking. As of right now, the method is reported to work only with the AT&T version with a CDMA iPhone 4S method in the works (according to Daniels).

The unlock will assist you in using your iPhone 4S on T-Mobile’s network as long as you have a T-Mobile SIM card (something you’ll need anyway). Some twitter users have confirmed that this method does work so if you’re interested in giving it a shot, feel free to follow the steps below:

Quick Note #1: Your T-Mobile SIM card needs to be the size of a microSIM

You will need to make sure your T-Mobile SIM card is equivalent to the size of your microSIM from AT&T. You can do this by cutting your T-Mobile SIM card yourself with something like an exacto-knife, purchasing a SIM card cutter, or obtaining a microSIM through T-Mobile’s website.

Quick Note #2: You need a T-Mobile data plan in order for this to work

One of the steps requires you to have access to Edge, this will only work if you have a data plan.

Unlock the iPhone 4S (AT&T version) Without Hardware or Software Tweaking
    1. Insert the original AT&T SIM card.
    2. Dial 611 and drop the call.
    3. Turn on Airplane Mode.
    4. Take the AT&T SIM card out.
    5. Insert the T-Mobile SIM card.
    6. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off (to ensure it doesn’t connect automatically later, just hit “Forget this Network")
    7. Turn Airplane Mode off. The iPhone will search for the network and then Apple’s splash screen will appear. The Activation Required will then be displayed on the screen and the Edge network will activate automatically (check for an “E” in the top left corner of the screen)
    8. Wait 20-30 seconds at this point then turn the iPhone off.
    9. Turn the iPhone back on and the same Activation Required screen will then be displayed.
    10. Continue to wait and when you see one signal bar, hit “Use Cellular Connection”
    11. Eject the SIM card and the Activation Required screen will appear for the second time.
    12. Put the SIM card back in and voila! You will be unlocked!

The method is definitely something different in terms of how the community has been unlocking their iPhones in the past but it has been confirmed to work. If you end up trying it out, share your experience below! Furthermore, feel free to discuss any issues or whether or not the method worked or you!

Source: Caleb Daniels, @chronic

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So this just seems like a software glitch exploit, correct? This isn't actually PERMANENTLY unlocking the phone, is it? (if it is I may just get a TMO prepaid sim just to do this and not worry about unlocks

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-17-2011 at 06:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

What he ^ said.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yep, looks like a bug in the iOS. Hopefully i'm wrong and Apple can't patch it but that's wishful thinking lol

Thanks

It does look like a one-time unlock and then it's gone after rebooting, but it'd be nice to try it out. Anyway, I don't have a need for it because I'm stuck with AT&T for 2 more years.I highly doubt it's a hoax like most tech blogs are calling it, because whoever started it won't get anything in exchange, and it couldn't be a joke because 1)It's not funny and 2)April Fool's is 6 months out...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So this just seems like a software glitch exploit, correct? This isn't actually PERMANENTLY unlocking the phone, is it? (if it is I may just get a TMO prepaid sim just to do this and not worry about unlocks

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask!
    I've read you'll lose it right after reboot. I'm wondering if anyone tried this on other iPhones (4, 3gs) or other software (4.xx), or both?

I've read that it will only last until you reboot the phone. What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried this on different iPhones (4, 3gs) or other software versions (4.xx) or both?
    Last edited by mavrik101; 11-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Odd that there is only 1 comment. I would have figured someone would have tried this and posted results.

Thanks

It should be very easy to unlock with software once it's jail-breakable I would imagine.

Thanks

Meh wonders if this will work for the iPhone 4 running 5.0 firmware. I wonder how the friggin guy stumbled upon this method of hacktivating his 4S? Probably got bored from not having a jailbreak and started fiddling with it ... Kudos to you my friend.. Mad kudos to you sir

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Dang. Well, can't blame me for hoping. I guess this isn't so useful for me after all.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is really seems to be an exploit but if someone can just write a code to to this automaticly, would be very good...now its the time to see if we can get some other info from this glitch

Thanks
    Thanked 15,162 Times in 6,964 Posts

My iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 just says invalid sim after turning off airplane mode after inserting other sim. Doesn't revert to splash/activation screen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 just says invalid sim after turning off airplane mode after inserting other sim. Doesn't revert to splash/activation screen.
    I tried too on my gevey unlocked iPhone 4. Software 5.0. I put the original fido sim in and call 611 fine. Then put into airplane mode then I put the Rogers sim in and make sure wifi is off then take airplane off and says invalid sim. Not searching

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Maybe they patched it in 5.0.1 and works in 5.0?

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    This is my best guess, personally. If it's not patched in 5.0.1 (or maybe it's a 4S-only thing, due to a different baseband/activation process), I would wager that we'll see a 5.0.2 sealing it by December.

Neat hole though. Sometimes the bugs are kinda silly.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,162 Times in 6,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    Not sure but mine doesnt and has never kicked back to activation screen when putting a different sim in. Has always said invalid sim, even when I was on 5.0. I have seen very few phones exhibit that behavior actually, maybe 3 or 4 (and I see a lot of iPhones).

Only iPhones I have seen always exhibit this are iPhone 2G's (not hactivated ones)

Thanks

This is same execution as using a gevey turbosim. So yeah this does work until rebooted, which mine hardly never does. If it does you just repeat the same process.

Thanks

Does this work with the original iPhone 4 running on 5.0 from AT&T?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i got iphone 4s.using H20 Wireless.paying only $60 a month.for everything.unlimited everything + $20 credit for international calls.If anyone knows any other carrier beats this.Please let me know.it works off AT&T networks.so you can even use AT&T 3g service.the only down side to it is this: MMS is not compatible...then again..who really cares much about this. I use another free software to send text and MMS if needed.AT&T iphone 4s.no need to unlock or anything like that.

Thanks

Yes, does this trigger a permanent "factory" unlock?