+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.1 to Bring New Features to Siri

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 5.1 to Bring New Features to Siri

Expect a round of updates in the next few weeks.

Apple has a couple of updates to bring to us in the near future. First of all, iOS 5.0.1 was released recently which was supposed to fix battery issues for some users. In almost all cases like this it didn't work for everyone. But it did work for some; that's what counts, right?

For those of you still having battery problems, you can expect an update from Apple in the very near future dubbed iOS 5.0.2 which will fix the rest of your problems. But aside from that, there's an even bigger update coming; it targets iPhone 4S users who run Siri.

Remember at the iPhone 4S unveiling when the announcer said that Siri was still in beta? Well it is. And for that purpose, Siri hasn't been perfect and there have been outages of the service at the most random times. Apple is working on it. By all means, they intend to keep their promise and roll out some updates that will add features to the infinite possibilities of Siri. How do they intend to do that? By giving it better speech recognition, adding more languages, and of course the big one; adding more functionality.

Albeit Siri does do a lot already, it hardly has any hardware functionality. All you can do is have Siri do things within the iOS software nix just a couple of hardware settings (like powering the device off). The update, as 9to5Mac reports, hopes to bring Siri the ability to toggle Wi-Fi on and off, as well as Bluetooth. As well as toggles, you will also be able to tell Siri to take a photo. At this point in time, Siri will yield no useful results when you ask it to toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or ask it to take a photo:

That's probably not the only upside to iOS 5.1. It's still far off in the horizon, but expect Apple to implement some more nifty new Siri features and stability improvements as well. Jailbreakers, stay away!

Are you excited for iOS 5.1's new Siri features? Share below!

Sources: 9to5Mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It will be great when Siri works with apps like a nav app so I can sya where I want to go instead of typing it!

Thanks

As for the next major update, iOS 5.1 will allegedly feature "many changes" related to Siri voice control, but the update is not expected to arrive by the end of 2011, as work on Siri is "very expensive."
    Source AppleInsider | Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

How are you on TMobile? Did you splurge the 700+ dollars to get it unlocked?

Thanks

Exciting; right?!

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    How are you on TMobile? Did you splurge the 700+ dollars to get it unlocked?
    That isn't my iPhone; it's a photo from 9to5Mac.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Some people are so observant , iphone 4s unlocked for t mobile...LMAO..So we have to play catch up on restoring and jailbreaking it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

What about like close app or "open facebook" or something

Thanks

I would totally pay 19.95 for a port of Siri on my ip4. Sigh.... I know it's being worked on.. Here's to cracking apples best laid plans and bringing Siri to the masses!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Jailbreakers stay away? What Jailbreak? So stay on 5.0 for the next year or so, miss out and still not be able to jailbreak anyway. A jailbreak for the 4S at this moment it as likely as a Siri Port for older devices. It just ain't happening. Be as optimistic as you like, but I'd bet if there was a jailbreak, it's 6 months away.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Some people are so observant , iphone 4s unlocked for t mobile...LMAO..So we have to play catch up on restoring and jailbreaking it.
    It could also be somebody's iPhone 4 or 3GS like some of the devs (chpwn) that have access to the ios 5 untethered jailbreak and unlock...

Thanks

Just cause its on t-mobile doesn't mean they jailbroke it. You can buy unlocked iPhones in most countries now including the US straight from apple, also tmobile is one of the carriers overseas, and the Siri port was distributed to very few hackers and probably won't be released it breaches several laws that are generally frowned upon like reverse engineering.

I'd also like a wifi and led fix on my 4S those two haven't been addressed
    Last edited by The Maestro; 11-16-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

Siri: Go Thermonuclear Global War, please.

Thanks

If you look it doesn't just say T-Mobile, it says T-Mobile HR which, correct me if I'm wrong, is T-Mobile Croatia.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I want her to launch apps and navigate within the app - for instance: "Siri, launch Pandora." "Siri play deadmau5." "Siri skip track." Right now that is a no go. I also am very disappointed that the Andriod version of Google maps is still far superior to iOS's. At least give us turn by turn!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Jailbreakers stay away? What Jailbreak? So stay on 5.0 for the next year or so, miss out and still not be able to jailbreak anyway. A jailbreak for the 4S at this moment it as likely as a Siri Port for older devices. It just ain't happening. Be as optimistic as you like, but I'd bet if there was a jailbreak, it's 6 months away.
    Well iOS 5.1 will be an update to the iPhone 4 as well. Apple always includes security enhancements as well with their updates. So that's why I said Jailbreakers stay away.

Thanks

i miss my Jb

Thanks

T mobile is also in uk share the same network as orange carrier

Thanks

Yeah, giving devs api's for Siri would be insane, and not just for Facebook. Think of all the apps that would benefit from being able to interact with Siri.
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

Thanks

T-Mobile is in lots of countries - here in the UK Orange's parent company bought them so they have an agreement where, if you opt in, you can use the others voice network if you have no coverage on your own but that does not extend to data yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketApe View Post
    Yeah, giving devs api's for Siri would be insane, and not just for Facebook. Think of all the apps that would benefit from being able to interact with Siri.
    I'm sure Siri will be extended once the JB is released.

Thanks

It would be nice if Siri could use apps, or I could ask Siri the score of the Giants game, or even find me a video on YouTube. The abilities of this software is almost limitless, especially when they can improve its ability to learn.