+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.1 to Bring New Features to Siri

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by confucious I'm sure Siri will be extended once the JB is released. Jail broken Siri. That'd be so stinkin cool. Only, it wouldn't be called "Jail Broken
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I'm sure Siri will be extended once the JB is released.
    Jail broken Siri. That'd be so stinkin cool. Only, it wouldn't be called "Jail Broken Siri". We'd call her "Siri Unleashed." Or maybe "Siri Gone Wild!" : b
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

Thanks

Hope apple fix the uk siri as from ios 5.01 the sound and voice are distorted , would be nice for apple to one day produce a firmware upgrade without so many bugs ,

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipony View Post
    i miss my Jb
    I miss my BJ

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree to an earlier comment stating NO JB in the near future. These "updates" being rumored to release is also a good tactic by Apple because why would the devs release a JB with a big update on the way? It was thought that an untethered iOS 5 JB would be released after this initial update, but I haven't even remotely heard of a whisper about one besides pod2g's claim of finding an exploit, but that is as far as its went. I have a feeling that untethered JB's just might become a part of the past. I mean by the time one is going to be thought of being released it'll be out of date with 2-3 Apple updates. Granted I'd rather one be released for 5.0 right now or when 5.1 launches than none at all. I would have to imagine that at some point Apple will completely find a way to close off any chance of exploiting or making it so difficult that just a standalone program will not be able to do the job. Look at SHSH Blobs now, they're pointless (at this time). Now we have no way to downgrade IF an untethered JB is released and it doesn't patch over a tethered exploit or if we just have an issue with a JB and have to restore, then our only option is to restore to whatever fw Apple is signing atm. That alone sucks! It just doesn't look very promising...

That's my opinion, but maybe its just because of the length of time it's been without any real updates on progress. I hope I'm completely wrong because the fact is there is no other device as great as a Jailbroken iDevice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Saliola View Post
    Siri: Go Thermonuclear Global War, please.
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Would you like to play a game?

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn nearly half of these jail breaker's and devs will be on apples payroll soon!!!! as we have heard already of some major players being invited to apples hq. I would just imagine all the cool toys that where showed to them and promises of being able to play wit them I'f they jumped ship.. Just a thought
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

maybe I shouldn't have bought the 4s, all this time I was under the impression that the imminent release of the ios5 jailbreak was going to apply for the 4s as well but I guess I was dead wrong.....GOD I MISS my JB!!!!!!! I really wish we had GeoHot and musclenerd around to work on the problem. I guess Apple won in the end after all. This probably means that we won't be seeing any JB for the 4s anytime soon or ever and I'm guessing iphone 5 will be JB proof. and if we do get a JB for the 4s, it's probably going to be some tethered crap. Oh! well!! I guess it was nice while it lasted......DAMN APPLE!!!!
    Last edited by swifty7; 11-17-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

T-mobile in the states aren't enabled for 3G iPhones.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok for some it counts right no I don't think it's right

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I agree to an earlier comment stating NO JB in the near future. These "updates" being rumored to release is also a good tactic by Apple because why would the devs release a JB with a big update on the way? It was thought that an untethered iOS 5 JB would be released after this initial update, but I haven't even remotely heard of a whisper about one besides pod2g's claim of finding an exploit, but that is as far as its went. I have a feeling that untethered JB's just might become a part of the past. I mean by the time one is going to be thought of being released it'll be out of date with 2-3 Apple updates. Granted I'd rather one be released for 5.0 right now or when 5.1 launches than none at all. I would have to imagine that at some point Apple will completely find a way to close off any chance of exploiting or making it so difficult that just a standalone program will not be able to do the job. Look at SHSH Blobs now, they're pointless (at this time). Now we have no way to downgrade IF an untethered JB is released and it doesn't patch over a tethered exploit or if we just have an issue with a JB and have to restore, then our only option is to restore to whatever fw Apple is signing atm. That alone sucks! It just doesn't look very promising...

That's my opinion, but maybe its just because of the length of time it's been without any real updates on progress. I hope I'm completely wrong because the fact is there is no other device as great as a Jailbroken iDevice.
    All Apple needs to do is implement some sort of Jailbreak detection method at boot, similar to the jailbreak detection routines some iOS apps are now using.

For example, on a jailbroken ipad if you try to launch certain applications like DirecTV, DirecTV Nomad, Time Warner Cable, Optimum, BrightHouse, LoveFilm, etc... you will get a message saying that they do not support Jailbroken devices. The only option is to quit the app.

This simple detection routine can easily be put into the boot process. Apple itself could proclaim "Apple does not support jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and restore". This effectively would turn any iOS device into a paperweight once jailbroken.

We need to mitigate this risk by developing a low level driver that can interpret all JB detection routines and respond to the app with normal non-jailbroken expected responses. It's only a few apps today, but some day Apple might make JB Detection mandatory or as part of the OS or every individual app launch process one day. Maybe in a future xcode update it will be automatically compiled into your app. Let's figure this out before it goes TOO FAR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
    All Apple needs to do is implement some sort of Jailbreak detection method at boot, similar to the jailbreak detection routines some iOS apps are now using.

For example, on a jailbroken ipad if you try to launch certain applications like DirecTV, DirecTV Nomad, Time Warner Cable, Optimum, BrightHouse, LoveFilm, etc... you will get a message saying that they do not support Jailbroken devices. The only option is to quit the app.

This simple detection routine can easily be put into the boot process. Apple itself could proclaim "Apple does not support jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and restore". This effectively would turn any iOS device into a paperweight once jailbroken.

We need to mitigate this risk by developing a low level driver that can interpret all JB detection routines and respond to the app with normal non-jailbroken expected responses. It's only a few apps today, but some day Apple might make JB Detection mandatory or as part of the OS or every individual app launch process one day. Maybe in a future xcode update it will be automatically compiled into your app. Let's figure this out before it goes TOO FAR.
    Holy crap batman... Say it isn't so!!! I never thought about that but yeah it's very possible and likely that crapple will do something like this in the very near future. I mean they've already circumvented our shsh firmware jumping for the new iOS .. So what's next for apple? They hate us jailbreakers and we hate them for trying to stop us(or at least making our lives difficult) they're products are golden .. Just hope us devs and hackers can stay one step ahead of their game!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, I mean I just might have to get an android phone the next time around. Not so sure I enjoy a closed ecosystem with such a dictatorship level of control.

Hate to say it...

Hope we don't have to go that far.

Thanks

We will get a jailbreak soon they have never let us down yet be patient it will come soon

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit_ View Post
    We will get a jailbreak soon they have never let us down yet be patient it will come soon
    It's not about letting us down. If it can't be done then it just cannot be done. Honestly, as long as tethered JB's are available, especially with semi tether, I'm happy. But the fact is even if jailbreaks keep coming out they can be taken away in a second. If your device needs a restore and there's no ability to downgrade (and no JB for current fw) then you're stuck with a stock device. I'd like to see the ability to downgrade with iOS 5.x fw's before ANY untethered JB's. That way we know we can keep them and all the hard work the devs are doing isn't gone with an issue of a restore.

Really the only thing I miss about untethered is boot logos. If something happens to my device now at least I can reboot and use my phone and SMS (semi tether). Boot tethering is not that big of a deal for me because I usually have a laptop/pc around me. I know it's very inconvenient for a lot of people and I really do hope to see an untethered exploit be released (hopefully greenp0ison. I think the 4.2.1 JB by GP was the best).

Let me ask a question. If we are currently on a 5.x fw and we are jb'n via tethered or untethered (when the time comes) and we have to restore but apple is no longer signing the fw that has an exploit can we still use TU to downgrade to say 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 so we can at least be able to jailbreak our device on an earlier fw/exploit?
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 11-18-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post

Let me ask a question. If we are currently on a 5.x fw and we are jb'n via tethered or untethered (when the time comes) and we have to restore but apple is no longer signing the fw that has an exploit can we still use TU to downgrade to say 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 so we can at least be able to jailbreak our device on an earlier fw/exploit?
    Yes. I tried it from 5.0 and jumped back down to 4.3.3 and it is confirmed to work but I jumped back to 5.0 only because at that time apple was still signing that firmware... As of right now it's impossible to jump to 5.0, like you said. Because apple isn't signing it anymore.

Thanks

If your device is susceptible to limra1n then there is a high probability the Blob Monster will be slaughtered soon.
    It is more of a problem on newer devices but it is being worked on.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12