+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Siri Protocol Cracked - Requires iPhone 4S UDID To Run

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So basically, Siri can and would run perfectly fine on any ios device, but Apple is purposely choosing to only make it available on the 4s just to get people
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts

    So basically, Siri can and would run perfectly fine on any ios device, but Apple is purposely choosing to only make it available on the 4s just to get people to upgrade. This is the type of BS that happen's when a company know's that million's of people will still buy anything they sell no matter what it is. They dont need to innovate anymore. The Apple fanatic's will buy, praise and worship anything Apple choose's to release. The 4s is the perfect example of this. It's basically, an iphone 4 with Siri added and they are having record sales. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank.

  2. #22
    What's Jailbreak? Jinhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I think iPhone 4s is like a "Greatest Hits" device, yes people who already have a 4 will blindly buy it, some people (blackberry users) who have tried a friends iPhone will buy it but ultimately the smart guys like you and me will work out a Siri port in the coming weeks and smugly await the iPhone 5 which apple abandoned due to deadlines this year.

  3. #23
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Your post is the only BS around here. Just because the 4S looks the same, doesn't mean it is the same. Get over the aesthetics and get on with your life. Regarding Siri not being available on other iOS devices, welcome to the world of business. Apple invested a chunk of change in acquiring the technology and need to show an ROI to keep shareholders happy. Giving it away to existing customers makes zero sense financially. Pull your head out of the sand, take off your consumer hat (I want everything for nothing) and put on your and put on your capitalist hat for just a minute.

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak? Fidlisskbarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Fanboys will use any excuse to justify ignorance. Look at from the billion dollar business and shareholders point of view? How about the end user?(you know the people actually buying the product) nooooooooo of course not they're just a bottomless pit of moronic consumers who should just pony up the cash and be grateful they are even allowed to buy this product at all. Put on your common sense hat and and pull your head out of the Steve jobs corpse *** hat.

  5. #25
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidlisskbarned View Post
    Apple isn't getting another dime from my pocket. We already pay too much just to be told we can't play with the toy how we want to. It'd be nice to see a dev team that wasn't so concerned with wearing a halo and white wings when dealing with certain grey area matters to do with "property" and "rights" if there even is such a thing anymore. We need a grey or black hat dev team. I wouldn't loose any sleep that's for sure. PS I know the rules but the truth is just that and should be openly discussed.
    First of all, Siri is not YOUR toy. Apple made it and has the right to decide who can and cannot use the service. The Dev Team is smart to stay away from something that could get them in a lot of trouble. Your one of the same people who are always on their backs for new jailbreaks or unlocks. Its not there job to do what they do. They dont get paid for it and im pretty sure there not in the mood to pay for a lawyer and fight apple for its rights. If you want Siri, buy a 4S, its Apple's right to sell it how they want. If you dont like it, dont buy there products.

    What your basically saying is that it is okay to walk into someones store, steal their inventory, and then use it yourself?! Thats exactly what this is... I dont see why people think its different because its software....

    You wouldnt lose any sleep because it doesnt affect you at all, but when lawyers come to the Dev Teams house coming to suck the money out of them, theyll be out of sleep.

    Im sorry if im nagging, but people need to stop reserving the rights on something they dont own. Your iPhone is yours, do what you want, the software and Siri is not yours. Jailbreak as you wish, but dont push someone to steal....
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  6. #26
    My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Patriots Area
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts

    theres always that one feature we chase after and Apple just has to restrict it on other devices even tho it's their own device pretty fked up.

  7. #27
    Green Apple HCWHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    apple did it right? thanks for pulling their balls out of your mouth long enough to tell everyone how good they taste. forcing people to buy new hardware to get access to your new service is the kind of crap that only apple pulls. I was able to upgrade thanks to timing but plenty of people have no choice due to giving apple their money any time less than 18 months ago and their reward is a big slap in the face. Though for all my complaining i'm just a massive hypocrite because I bought this one and i'll probably buy the next 2 or 3 they poop out unless someone else really pulls their act together.
    Aw, c'mon, Windows 7 has higher hardware requirements than XP too. That happens with all OS systems both PC and mobile. As for giving Apple your money less than 18 months ago, you're incorrect again. Apple has no time restraints, your mobile phone carrier does ON THE PHONES THEY SUBSIDIZE FOR YOU! You can always buy a new iPhone by paying full price. You just want your cake and to eat it too!

    My impression is that Apple will work out the bugs and other issues with Siri and then offer it as a paid app in the app store for older devices. Similar to the way they charge for iOS updates on the iPod Touch, while they are free for iPhones.

  8. #28
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Siri is the teaser to get people to buy an iPhone 4s either through upgrade or new. The hardware is nearly the same as that used on Android phones for a while now. If they released Siri to 3GS or 4 devices they would give people a reason not to upgrade until the inevitable iPhone 5.

  9. #29
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    First they collect massive databases of user GPS data and now they are sending recordings of your voice over the internet to an Apple server that is probably archiving every word you say. I see a future where there will be no privacy. Next is the iPhone 4(s)(r) which will have retina scanner, DNA, and Fingerprint scanning. There is no better security than requiring your DNA to allow access.

  10. #30
    What's Jailbreak? Kuertzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jrl_1644 View Post
    First they collect massive databases of user GPS data and now they are sending recordings of your voice over the internet to an Apple server that is probably archiving every word you say. I see a future where there will be no privacy. Next is the iPhone 4(s)(r) which will have retina scanner, DNA, and Fingerprint scanning. There is no better security than requiring your DNA to allow access.
    so funny

  11. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongking View Post
    im still keeping my hopes up, the hacking community for ios is huge, and we hve a huge demand for this. i work around will be found
    Lol, a huge hacking community?

  12. #32
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I remember probably the best iPhone hacker (Geohot) saying. Real hackers don't save exploits, that's not the way the games played. They close an exploit, I find another.... It's been 6+ months since an iPad 2 jailbreak. To me, jailbreaking is now on life support and apple has won. They are staggering the release of iOS devices and the Dev team just can't keep up. Saving exploits only to be pissed away. Many (Dev team)can't replace one(Geohot)...or so it seems.

  13. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    The funny thing about all of these "Apple is doing this just so they can make more money" is that you people are singling ou apple like they are the only ones that do this. Plenty of Android developers add new things only to their NEWER devices. My best example is HTC sense, on HTC devices. A lot of their older devices are perfectly capable of running the new Sense (And I know this because devs have ported it to these devices), yet they don't offer official support for it. Other makers do a lot of the same. Does it suck? Sure. But Siri did take time and money to develope. Time and money that you pay for when you upgrade to the 4S. Apple is quite good with their updates. perhaps too good. A lot of people have become too damn spoiled and have a sense of entitlement, I think. Once you buy a phone Apple has absolutely NO OBLIGATION to give you any updates from that point on. Be happy you got ALMOST ALL of iOS5's functionality on your year old hardware!

    Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
    I remember probably the best iPhone hacker (Geohot) saying. Real hackers don't save exploits, that's not the way the games played. They close an exploit, I find another.... It's been 6+ months since an iPad 2 jailbreak. To me, jailbreaking is now on life support and apple has won. They are staggering the release of iOS devices and the Dev team just can't keep up. Saving exploits only to be pissed away. Many (Dev team)can't replace one(Geohot)...or so it seems.
    When geohot was around there were far more backdoors out there. Apple wasn't as smart, they weren't patching instantly, and they were still allowing older firmwares to be flashed. A lot has changed my friend. It's (almost) like comparing apples to oranges.

    PS - I don't think the dev team will be too offended that you don't consider them "real hackers"

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    apple did it right? thanks for pulling their balls out of your mouth long enough to tell everyone how good they taste. forcing people to buy new hardware to get access to your new service is the kind of crap that only apple pulls. I was able to upgrade thanks to timing but plenty of people have no choice due to giving apple their money any time less than 18 months ago and their reward is a big slap in the face. Though for all my complaining i'm just a massive hypocrite because I bought this one and i'll probably buy the next 2 or 3 they poop out unless someone else really pulls their act together.
    You heard me, they did it right. They wanted people not to use this service (legally) without buying a 4S, and they got what they wanted. I would say that's doing it right from business sense. The fact that it doesn't mesh with people wanting free features added to last year's phone is not at all relevant.

    I bought a macbook air last year with snow leopard. Should I expect a free upgrade to lion? No? Why on earth not? Maybe Apple should have allowed iPhone 4 users to upgrade to Siri for a fee. I am sure many of the same people would still be complaining and claiming this to be unfair though.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-15-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  14. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    "Whah! Apple didn't install a retina display on my 3Gs when the 4 came out. Whah! My VCR won't play blurays. Whah! My 2.5 year old 3Gs (dinosaur) doesn't have Siri."

    I personally am happy that only 4s users have Siri. Less server traffic for me!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Beastly L92 For This Useful Post:

    sziklassy (11-16-2011)

  16. #35
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It is ok if you donīt want to spend more money with Apple, you can also develop your own phone with your own software ... who is stopping you

    or you can buy a Windows or a Android mobile, there you are free to do want you want and expande all your creativity ... be the master

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to lepaka For This Useful Post:

    sziklassy (11-16-2011)

  18. #36
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I really could give a flying rats *** what the Dev team thinks. I consider it a privilege to do a lot of things...but I have a life and really, jailbreaking falls pretty low on the list. A lot of these guys claim they do it for free, but, without it you couldn't buy their cydia apps.( now $200+ in cydia apps lie unused because of this "privledge")....Compairing Apple to samsung or Htc is just absurd. Both these companies have open bootloaders that allow about anything you want to be easily altered or ported. Finally,I am allowed to have an opinion...just like you. I have better things to do than waiting on some prepubescent people to omit the drama and actually "just do it". Either you sit quiet and accept things or you voice your opinions and maybe things change. A lot of people fall in the first category. I don't.

    I hope, now that China has the iPhone, there Devs rip the iPhone a new hole.

    That is "their"
    Last edited by oddphone20; 11-16-2011 at 01:52 AM.

  19. #37
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    apple did it right? thanks for pulling their balls out of your mouth long enough to tell everyone how good they taste. forcing people to buy new hardware to get access to your new service is the kind of crap that only apple pulls. I was able to upgrade thanks to timing but plenty of people have no choice due to giving apple their money any time less than 18 months ago and their reward is a big slap in the face. Though for all my complaining i'm just a massive hypocrite because I bought this one and i'll probably buy the next 2 or 3 they poop out unless someone else really pulls their act together.
    Apple is definitely not the only company to make you upgrade hardware. Microsoft is worse! Try putting windows 7 on an older computer. Microsoft is also going to do the same thing when windows 8 comes out.

  20. #38
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidlisskbarned View Post
    Fanboys will use any excuse to justify ignorance. Look at from the billion dollar business and shareholders point of view? How about the end user?(you know the people actually buying the product) nooooooooo of course not they're just a bottomless pit of moronic consumers who should just pony up the cash and be grateful they are even allowed to buy this product at all. Put on your common sense hat and and pull your head out of the Steve jobs corpse *** hat.
    Fan boy? Far from it. I just had enough sense to hang onto my 3GS a little while longer. The 3GS to 4S was a big step. So quit assuming just because you own a 4 that everyone went that route. Common sense doesn't exist in the marketplace. Just look at the stock market and the "values" placed on companies that provide no real product or service (think social media). Apple is making a ton on the 4S - why should they care what a few 4 owners want? You bought a product with a specific set of specs and features. The new model has been released with updated specs and new features. You haven't been ripped off - you got exactly what you paid for. They've moved on, maybe you should do the same...

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhonePutz For This Useful Post:

    sziklassy (11-16-2011)

  22. #39
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sesso View Post
    Apple is definitely not the only company to make you upgrade hardware. Microsoft is worse! Try putting windows 7 on an older computer. Microsoft is also going to do the same thing when windows 8 comes out.
    Microsoft doesn't really gain from making you upgrade that hardware though. They don't actually sell (much) hardware at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
    I really could give a flying rats *** what the Dev team thinks. I consider it a privilege to do a lot of things...but I have a life and really, jailbreaking falls pretty low on the list. A lot of these guys claim they do it for free, but, without it you couldn't buy their cydia apps.( now $200+ in cydia apps lie unused because of this "privledge")....Compairing Apple to samsung or Htc is just absurd. Both these companies have open bootloaders that allow about anything you want to be easily altered or ported. Finally,I am allowed to have an opinion...just like you. I have better things to do than waiting on some prepubescent people to omit the drama and actually "just do it". Either you sit quiet and accept things or you voice your opinions and maybe things change. A lot of people fall in the first category. I don't.

    I hope, now that China has the iPhone, there Devs rip the iPhone a new hole.

    That is "their"
    The flaw in your argument here is that I don't think anyone on the dev team (to be clear, the people that work on jailbreaks) have a whole lot to do with cydia and the apps that are available on it. People that buy cydia apps do so in a market they know damn well they could get locked out of any day. How on earth does that make it the dev team's responsibility to provide timely jailbreaks for us.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-16-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  23. #40
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,503
    Thanks
    6,795
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,978 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Microsoft doesn't really gain from making you upgrade that hardware though. They don't actually sell (much) hardware at all...
    True, they don't sell much hardware. But every new piece of hardware sold by someone else does have their software on it.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts