+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 91% of App Developers Prefer iOS over Android/Other OS's

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
App developers say they would rather code for iOS. Folks, iOS is very fun to develop for. That's coming from experience; but not only that, from fellow developers as well.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 755 Posts

Default 91% of App Developers Prefer iOS over Android/Other OS's

App developers say they would rather code for iOS.

Folks, iOS is very fun to develop for. That's coming from experience; but not only that, from fellow developers as well.

Android developers, as well as existing iOS developers, can agree on one thing: iOS is the preferable platform to develop for. A survey was conducted asking 2,160 Appcelerator developers which platform they most wanted to develop apps for. 91% said they wanted to develop for the iPhone. 88% said they wanted to develop for the iPad. Pretty astounding numbers coming from Android and iOS developers alike, yes?

Android is the world's most popular mobile operating system, but that's because there are more than just a couple android devices on the market. Apple sells 3 major devices which have their own subcategory based on their generation. The iPhone 4 is the world's most popular iOS smartphone, followed by the iPad 2 for tablets, and finally iPod touch 4G for entertainment handheld. It's looking like the iPhone 4S may eventually steal the iPhone 4's thunder. Android on the other hand, has hundreds of devices. Common sense says that teamwork defeats lone work. Hundreds against 3, yeah you see where this is going. But even in the scruff of things, you can't walk anywhere without seeing an iOS device somewhere. So Apple isn't doing that bad whatsoever even against the odds.

Developers for Android seem to think that iOS is a more pleasurable platform to develop for. Many of those developing for Android are doing it so that they can have a job. Out of the 50% of Android (and other) developers and 50% of iOS developers; 91% wanted to code for iOS. That's 41% of developers that code for a different platform that would rather be coding for iOS. In that respect, could Apple have the chance to actually be doing better than they are already? iOS 5 has already taken a small chunk away from the Android population, as The Loop reports.

Only time will tell which operating system will stay around and which one will bite the dust. But as this is a very hot topic that will cause hair-trigger fan boy zealots to attack any threats to their brand name, I'll leave it to the commentators to debate this out!

So what is your preferred mobile operating system; and why? If you know any developers, ask them this question! Share in the comments below!

Sources: The Loop
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-14-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Addition to the commentators' question.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (11-14-2011)

Thanks

You guys need to start double checking your typing tbh, I see mispells all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    You guys need to start double checking your typing tbh, I see mispells all the time.
    Uh? Double check that because I used a spell checker prior to publishing this.

It would also help to know where the mistakes are so I can fix them.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    Maybe you can't spell? Because

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Uh? Double check that because I used a spell checker prior to publishing this.

It would also help to know where the mistakes are so I can fix them.
    Spelin isn't my strong point so I ran it through a spellchecker and Appcelerator is wrong as is iOS....

But, back on subject, if the article was true surely there would be very few Android or WP& apps? Or did they only ask people who have apps in the App store?
    Last edited by confucious; 11-14-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Spelin isn't my strong point so I ran it through a spellchecker and Appcelerator is wrong as is iOS....
    ...? I definitely looked over it to see where the red lines were. I didn't let the spellchecker do all of the work.

Thanks

I just let the spellchecker do the work - I'm guessing you are right and the spellchecker is wrong in this case.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I just let the spellchecker do the work - I'm guessing you are right and the spellchecker is wrong in this case.
    What are you even going on about?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (11-14-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Nobody argues on concepts of the article anymore, all they do it criticize people.

GO iOS!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Misleading!
    This post is completely misleading! According to the graph, when asked which platform are you 'very interested' in developing for, 91% said iPhone, about 85% said iPad and about 84% percent said Android Phone. So the title of this post should read "7% of App Developers Prefer to Develop for iPhone More than Android Phones". One more post like this and I am unsubscribing from modmyi.com's feed.The graph is below:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stynkfysh For This Useful Post:

Channan (11-15-2011), solojames (11-15-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Developers prefer iOS? That's a shocker!!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What are you even going on about?
    I am about 103% sure that he was just being sarcastic. You kids need to get less defensive. Jeez.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

confucious (11-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am about 103% sure that he was just being sarcastic. You kids need to get less defensive. Jeez.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

People these days are just weird. This article is about IOS5 and stuff to that sorts, not if he spelled words correctly. If the article still makes sense it's fine don't complain! At least Anthony is writing good articles, thanks anthony.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Raybeast For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (11-14-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Last edited by bish0p34; 11-14-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ugh, you wrote in black text ... I prefer a dark grey..... lets complain about it for the next 15 comments...lol. Great article , if you don't understand the content with a few typos... you have bigger issues.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

So iOS is of 7% more interest to developers.

Woop de doo.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to carlbgc For This Useful Post:

Channan (11-15-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    People these days are just weird. This article is about IOS5 and stuff to that sorts, not if he spelled words correctly. If the article still makes sense it's fine don't complain! At least Anthony is writing good articles, thanks anthony.
    Your right, Anthony does right good articles! But if you are complaining about the arguing, look no further than the author of this article, Anthony...the same guy you just thanked!

Just browse through a few of his articles, you will see what I mean. He is NOTORIOUS for arguing and bickering about anything and everything! From the way RAM works to what the best color is, he is going to be replying and arguing with everyone. It seems he is one of those guys that can NEVER be wrong.

What is it he is arguing about this time.....oh thats right, spelling! I dont think that's what the article was supposed to be about!

How bout someone calculates this: % of replies the author (Anthony) has made to users regarding his spelling battle. Compare that to the % of replies he has made to the people that actually took the time to comment and contribute on the subject he wrote..

Way to keep the conversation going!!
    El Zurdo

Thanks
    I liked the article...then I seen the comments. What happened???

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post
    This post is completely misleading! According to the graph, when asked which platform are you 'very interested' in developing for, 91% said iPhone, about 85% said iPad and about 84% percent said Android Phone. So the title of this post should read "7% of App Developers Prefer to Develop for iPhone More than Android Phones". One more post like this and I am unsubscribing from modmyi.com's feed.The graph is below:
    Stynkfysh...you can count that if the "article" is wrote by either of the Apple Fanboi Duo (Swanson/Bouchard) it will be skewed to display Apple as something amazing.
    Your evidence is the greatest proof of that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everybody just needs to relax forums are supposed to be about subject matter at hand but everybody gets so caught up in their own issues it soon is only a forum of petty insults lets all get back to what's important helping each other solve issue and keeping everyone up to date on the latest iOS developments good job Anthony keep up the good work