+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icon Settings and Icon Project Offer Alternative to SBSettings Until iOS 5 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Icon Settings and the Icon Project app both offer easy to use solutions for adding toggle settings icons to the iOS home screen. One is free, one is not. One
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Icon Settings and Icon Project Offer Alternative to SBSettings Until iOS 5 Jailbreak

Icon Settings and the Icon Project app both offer easy to use solutions for adding toggle settings icons to the iOS home screen. One is free, one is not. One is simple, and the other more feature heavy. Both are wonderful, but will not replace SBSettings once the iOS 5 Jailbreak is available.

Icon Settings is completely web-based, and completely free. Users simply need to follow this link and choose from the following list of settings toggle shortcuts:
    • About
    • Accessibility
    • Airplane
    • AutoLock
    • Brightness
    • Bluetooth
    • DateAndTime
    • FaceTime
    • General
    • Keyboard
    • iCloud
    • iCloudStorageAndBackup
    • International
    • LocationServices
    • Music
    • MusicEq
    • MusicVolume
    • Network
    • Nike
    • Notes
    • Notifications
    • Phone
    • Photos
    • Reset
    • Safari
    • Siri
    • Sounds
    • SoftwareUpdate
    • Store
    • Twitter
    • Usage
    • VPN
    • Wallpaper
    • WiFi
    • Hotspot

After clicking on the shortcut the user is taken to the appropriate settings menu in iOS. All the user has to do now is go back to Safari and select “Add to Home Screen” and a URL based settings toggle button is added to the user’s home screen. These quick toggle buttons allow users to open up settings menus with one click forgoing the usually multi-menu navigation necessary to reach Safari, BlueTooth, network and other settings menus.

Icon Project available in the App Store does include more features than Icon Settings, like the ability to customize the text, color, picture and overall look of the icon. Users can also create multiple function icons which allow for more than one action to be launched with a single press. User's can also send custom icons to other by email. Overall it offers more features than Icon Settings, but it also is $.99 and must be downloaded from the App Store.

Bottom line, both options offer the ability to create icons that allow users to access setting's menus in one touch from their home screen, but you must decide if $.99 is worth the added functionality of Icon Project.

Thank our South African friends over at iPhoneza for this simple little tweak, and oddly enough there is no need to jailbreak.

Source: iPhoneza, iTunes

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Very interesting work around... great work. Perhaps we'll see similar workarounds for people who can't or won't jailbreak. I hate adjusting my brightness and wifi by going through the settings menus. However, I dont want to pay $1 for the convenience though, I just really hope a iOS5 jailbreak on the 4S is on it's way soon. I do miss "my phone."

Green Apple
    Thanks

IconProject didn't play nice with User Agent Faker. Had to turn it off as it kept going to google.com in Safari instead of the site to save the icon to the Home Screen.

Thanks

I would love to give Icon Settings a try, but there's no link... Am I missing something...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

"Users simply need to follow this link and choose from the following list of settings toggle shortcuts"

"This Link" is not working.....

Thanks

This link? What link? Doh!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The link for this is:-

http://iphoneza.co.za/IconSettings/

Open on your iDevice
    Last edited by ady199; 11-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry about the dead link, everything is fixed. Icon Settings can be found here IconSettings - iPhoneZA

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

For all looking for the link, its right up there, click on the iPhoneza link

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

I posted a different link yesterday in Missing SBSettings due to no JB?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    However, I dont want to pay $1 for the convenience though, I just really hope a iOS5 jailbreak on the 4S is on it's way soon. I do miss "my phone."
    Amen to that. I'd pay for the jailbreak if it would get it out sooner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Amen to that. I'd pay for the jailbreak if it would get it out sooner.
    It wouldn't.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Guy's you all should definitely use Icon Settings. I just purchased Icon Project yesterday and the difference is noticeable. Icon settings is much better because it automatically adds a better looking icon for you and it runs straight through Safari without launching another app to run in the background. It's definitely faster and i'd say about almost 1 sec. May not be of importance but this free tweak is way better. I wasted $1 and will ask for refund. I wish i had waited. Thanks Phillip for the post!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11...reak-required/

Thank you I told yall to report on this yesterday

Thanks

aaaahhhhhhh, cured my fix WOOOOOO...now make me an alternative to MyWi no Jailbreak and iRealSMS lol

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    aaaahhhhhhh, cured my fix WOOOOOO...now make me an alternative to MyWi no Jailbreak and iRealSMS lol
    I heard WeBe does tethering. And there's also some apps that have secret tethering

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Well, Icon Project does work. I enabled a couple of "quick call" shortcut icons, and they do allow you to make a call. However, you click them, they open up a new window saying, "do you want to call X," and when you click "Call," THEN it calls. When I had Call Me on my jailbroken i4, clicking an icon would immediately lead to the call being made. So, a bit clunky.Haven't tried other shortcuts yet, so can't say if all work the same way.But, for $.99, not a bad little app.

Thanks

I'm one of those people who splurged and bought IconProject. Worked for me. At first it was hard to justify spending a whole dollar but, then I set up an auto lock toggle and all is right in the world. Don't be so cheap.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blinden76 View Post
    I'm one of those people who splurged and bought IconProject. Worked for me. At first it was hard to justify spending a whole dollar but, then I set up an auto lock toggle and all is right in the world. Don't be so cheap.
    Same here man

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

Icon Settings is a useful alternative for those of us going through Jailbreak withdrawals for the 4S. I used SB Setting daily so this helps.I just created a "Shortcuts" folder in the dock and now have quick access to the settings I use frequently.Thanks for posting the article.