+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Is UAE Toying With iMessage and FaceTime?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
FaceTime and iMessage are Apple's premier Wi-Fi communication services for iOS. Apple has taken steps to allow users to circumvent the need for a cellular carrier to communicate. They have
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Is UAE Toying With iMessage and FaceTime?

FaceTime and iMessage are Apple's premier Wi-Fi communication services for iOS.

Apple has taken steps to allow users to circumvent the need for a cellular carrier to communicate. They have revolutionized the way that our iPhone's and iPods have been able to help us communicate while connected to a Wi-Fi network and they have enabled us to even video chat with other computers via FaceTime. If you sport an iPod touch or Wi-Fi only iPad, you will not be disappointed by iMessage. It lets you basically text message any iOS device that can run iOS 5. Considering how quickly iOS users are updating to iOS 5, that's a very large database of users that you can message. The best part? It works over Wi-Fi so there are no fees for using it. The same applies to FaceTime, except you can be running iOS 4 to use it. The only downside is that you are limited to devices with front-facing cameras, or Mac users. But again, it works over Wi-Fi just like iMessage and has no fees for using it. There are jailbreak tweaks that allow you to use FaceTime over 3G or Edge connections, one being FaceBreak which is one of my favorite tweaks. But that will count against your data usage and will cost you some money.

Since Apple has brought these popular communication systems to the iDevice lineup, completely circumventing the need to rely on cellular service companies, the UAE (United Arab Emirates) is taking notice. The UAE has blocked mobile services in the past. RIM had this confrontation before with the UAE. This has since been undone for authorities in the UAE. Etisalat is one of the companies that operates for the UAE, handling phone traffic. They announced that FaceTime and iMessage were under investigation via a tweet on Twitter. How strange though. Six hours later, Du, another phone traffic company for the UAE, announced that FaceTime and iMessage would be up and running again by this evening via a tweet on Twitter. Later on, Etisalat annouced a similar message as Du on Twitter that the services would be up again later on.

It seems hectic that they are messing around with these services. Here are many people trying to communicate and there are several companies playing around with the services like switches on a toy Hess truck. It makes no sense at all that they said they were banning it, then let it go off the hook in the end. It has been reported that users were still able to use iMessage when the ban was in existence but there was no word on the availability of the FaceTime service. I for one would be pretty annoyed after buying a product to later hear that its services would be banned in my country.

What do you think about this inconvenience to UAE iOS users? Share in the comments below!

Sources: TNW
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

just wanted to say that it's Etisalat, not Edisalat.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems essentially criminal to block something like this. Then again, Apple blocks all kinds of stuff on their OS that we all get to deal with. I realize it's different, but in many ways is also the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccc27 View Post
    just wanted to say that it's Etisalat, not Edisalat.
    Thanks. Confusing name.

Thanks

But is that not cause they want to monitor what is being said and done and they cant do that with these services

What's Jailbreak? dennisdionisio's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember that in the case of Facetime for iphone4, If you ask Etisalat why it's blocked they will say it's Apple that's blocking it. But if you ask Apple they'll say it's Etisalat.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What is the UEA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    What is the UEA
    United Arab Emirates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So are they playing with imessage in the united states? Europe? Asia?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    So are they playing with imessage in the united states? Europe? Asia?
    Only in their own Territory, their territory is in the link I posted.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Would recommend that the first time UAE is mentioned in the article you follow it with (United Arab Emirates) so people know wtf you are talking about.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Etisalat is known for spying. They setup up their network in a country and then spy on the country. They were denied business in India. They again tried and were denied. They again tried and the India govt considered it but under very very strict surviellence. The company is being monitored by the India govt very closely.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Would recommend that the first time UAE is mentioned in the article you follow it with (United Arab Emirates) so people know wtf you are talking about.
    Lmfao! Really? Reread the article because I can clearly see where UAE is clearly defined in (). Or how about not being so lazy and look it up IF it isn't defined for you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Lmfao! Really? Reread the article because I can clearly see where UAE is clearly defined in (). Or how about not being so lazy and look it up IF it isn't defined for you.
    Because he took my advice and changed it, Sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by End of the first post
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; Today at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

If a private company is blocking the service, then it gives the government plausible deniability, right? I mean come on, why be so restrictive? Why be so afraid of new technology? I have read so many articles of how countries in that region will block services, like twitter, facebook and even text messaging, to keep the public from communicating with one another. If that ever happened in the US, it would be an outrage, people would go nuts. Since it happened in a place that is known for this type of behavior, we all just shrug our shoulders?//political rant

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Because he took my advice and changed it, Sherlock.
    Well either way was it necessary to be rude to "give advice", Arnold? Go somewhere else to find things to be a troll about!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

This is such utter bull. -_-

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    You do nothing but troll this site. Thanks for reminding me why I hardly visit here anymore.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you don't know what the UAE is you really shouldnt be allowed to own a computer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Which school did you stay away from?