Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Partially Blamed For Mobile Flash's Demise

Thanks

Default Apple Partially Blamed For Mobile Flash's Demise

Mike Chambers, Principal Product Manager for Developer Relations for the Flash Platform recently published a blog post clarifying the reasons behind Adobe’s plans to drop development for Flash on mobile devices. For those of you who didn’t already know, Adobe recently announced that that it will continue to support existing implementations of Flash Player for mobile browsers but cease development in order to focus on HTML5.

Chambers has spent over a decade working on Flash and according to him, the past few days “have been some of the most difficult” in his career. In his blog post, he mentioned that continuing development on Flash “would not be the “best use of resources” as Flash would never “achieve the same ubiquity” on mobile devices as it has on the desktop. He even went as far as stating that this is mainly due to “the fact that one of the leading mobile platforms (Apple’s iOS) was not going to allow the Flash Player in the browser” preventing Flash from becoming as popular as it was on desktops.

Furthermore, it was admitted that HTML5 was now the clear solution to providing “a richer browser based experience” across browsers on mobile devices. "No matter what we did, the Flash Player was not going to be available on Apple’s iOS anytime in the foreseeable future," Chambers said.

The App store took part of the blame for Flash’s demise according to the post due to the fact that many users were likely to look for applications rather than the web for rich content. This was mainly due to all the differences amongst devices such as screen sizes, resolution, interaction models, etc. as a reason why browser-based content was a bit harder to accommodate when compared to the app in terms of providing rich content.

Chambers even went as far as admitting that the Flash Player for mobile browsers required “much more resources” than the company had originally expected. On the desktop, Adobe can usually work within “well defined plugin APIs” but the company struggled to work with a number of different mobile operating system vendors, hardware device manufacturers, and component manufacturers in order to develop Flash on mobile platforms. "For each new device, browser and operating system released, the resources required to develop, test and maintain the Flash Player also increases. This is something that we realized is simply not scalable or sustainable.”

In the end, Adobe decided to allocate more resources from Flash to HTML5 due to the widespread adoption of HTML5. The decision was made to “more evenly balance” out its resources between the two technologies. Chambers did remind readers that “Flash is not dead” and continued to reiterate Adobe’s “long term commitment” to Adobe’s Flash Player on desktops. Chambers then pointed to the need to shift some resources from Flash to HTML5. Given the widespread adoption of HTML5, Adobe had decided to "more evenly balance" its resources between the two technologies according to him.

Steve Jobs predicted much of Flash’s demise in his open letter regarding his thoughts on Flash last year. Despite the rough situation Adobe must be going through, it is good to see the company moving forward by accepting that their technology is not meant to be for mobile devices and continuing forward with the adoption of HTML5. I just wonder how things would have been today if Adobe hopped the bandwagon earlier when the topic was first brought up instead of standing their ground only to admit recently they were wrong. Hit the source link to read the full blog post by Mike Chambers - it's a lengthy but very interesting read.

How do you feel about the whole ordeal?

Source: Mike Chambers

I agree with Jobs , flash is not meant for mobile devices HTML5 it's next
    Last edited by duromega; 11-12-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Great now hurry up so I can stream video on my iphone k thanks ...

Thanks

Can you get flash if you are jailbroken?

I've just re-encoded my entire website in HTML5 because it is the future and a much better way of doing things. I did disagree with Apple's (too) early implementation of it but now it's becoming the norm and everything runs faster and more smoothly without the crashing problems! lol

I can't wait for HTML 6! Right?

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulp1xel View Post
    Yes you can...you can also use skyfire...
    Last edited by sirbebe; 11-13-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

iOS 4.1 and earlier can use Frash. Not sure about newer versions.

Flash waves the white flag, Jobs was right all along.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash ssssllllllllloooowwwwwsssssss my MBP 15" 2.3 i7 sandy bridge 4gb...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I guess apple haters are now pwnd. I do remember tons of comments like "no-flash -> fu lame apple" To blame someone, not the original maker of a technology, for the old technology being dismissed, moving towards something better, is to honor this institution.

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    I guess apple haters are now pwnd. I do remember tons of comments like "no-flash -> fu lame apple" To blame someone, not the original maker of a technology, for the old technology being dismissed, moving towards something better, is to honor this institution.
    I think apple did some damage but the biggest damage came from android and the phones manufacters
    People wanted choices now u have it. Androids every 3 months from 2-3 different company. That gives u a market place where no one control thus nothing but malware. And fewer apps and now. No flash. It's to expensive. To maintain software for like 40 different droids

You droid fans wanted it and u got it. Hope ur happy

I guess they shouldn't have messed with Apple a decade ago. Jobs got his final revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Great now hurry up so I can stream video on my iphone k thanks ...
    Agree!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Flash
    Frash...

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mori View Post
    I think apple did some damage but the biggest damage came from android and the phones manufacters
    People wanted choices now u have it. Androids every 3 months from 2-3 different company. That gives u a market place where no one control thus nothing but malware. And fewer apps and now. No flash. It's to expensive. To maintain software for like 40 different droids

You droid fans wanted it and u got it. Hope ur happy
    It has nothing to do with supporting flash on "40 different android" (and there are far more than that, just saying). It has everything to do with the fact that Apple will NEVER accept flash and they feel that is enough of a hit on total mobile users that it is not worth keeping up with development. Blaming Android for this is simply not seeing the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbebe View Post
    Yes you can as well I your not just. Use skyfire.
    Is this in English?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Its nice to see them fail. Its like they handed their product to apple and were like "alright here you go.. You know what to do with it." assuming that their previous success had warranted prerequisite acceptance. Flash never really had a place in the past as far as "rich content". It was always just a fancy way to make it difficult to navigate a web site. Between all the crazy design layouts and effects, it just distracted from efficient web design. It was only semi-useful for video streaming when there was no other viable alternative.The other hidden refreshing side is this is only further proof that android is a far inferior platform. Mobile flash is on a good number of the android devices out there and still they feel its not successful enough. Android phones remind me of the razr era. Everyone thought this thing was the coolest, most advanced cell phone ever. Everyone had to have one. Then after everyone had one they realized that it was a POS. Android puts up a nice front but it lacks any usability you would expect from a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Is this in English?
    This.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^ I am not sure I follow. Android is inferior because it wasn't enough to keep development for mobile flash going? How on earth did you come up with that conclusion? There are a LOT of people using iOS. Doing a number crunch likely showed that mobile flash was not profitable, especially since they would NEVER reach their iOS users. iOS isn't the majority, but it certainly is a whole lot more than nothing. I see this as Adobe finally admitting that their flash platform just isn't going to be good on mobile platforms and they are looking for people to blame. Doesn't make Android inferior in any way.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings