+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Selling Unlocked iPhone 4Ss, Sprint Begins SIM-Locking New iPhone 4Ss

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple’s online store now has unlocked iPhone 4Ss available for purchase making good on the company’s promise to provide the unlocked handsets sometime in November. The unlocked iPhone 4Ss are
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Selling Unlocked iPhone 4Ss, Sprint Begins SIM-Locking New iPhone 4Ss

Apple’s online store now has unlocked iPhone 4Ss available for purchase making good on the company’s promise to provide the unlocked handsets sometime in November.

The unlocked iPhone 4Ss are available for $649 (16Gb), $749 (32GB), and $849 (64GB) will only work on GSM networks and utilizes a micro-SIM card. The phones will work internationally or locally on GSM networks, but the unlocked phones will not work on CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint. Obviously, the phones ship without a micro-SIM installed.

With the unlocked 4Ss going on sale Sprint is making good on its promise to SIM-lock their 4Ss. The SIM-lock occurs during the activation process and will only apply to customers purchasing their 4S 11/11/11 and after. It is unclear if Sprint will allow customers who have purchased a 4S already to retain its GSM unlocked capability or not.

New Sprint customers who want to use their iPhone 4S internationally will need to contact Sprint Worldwide for “authentication” and once signed up for an international rate plan the phone will have the ability to roam on GSM networks internationally. However, Sprint does claim customers in good standing on their accounts for at least 90 days can call Sprint and request to have their phone unlocked before traveling internationally. This will allow subscribers to pop in prepaid sim cards instead of paying Sprints insane international fees.

Additionally “off-contract” iPhones Apple retail stores have reportedly been selling remain unlocked after the iOS 5.0.1 update.
    Source: Apple, 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 547 Posts

Nice to see that us in the UK are paying over the odds :-(

$649 = 400 and on Apple UK we are charged 499 and what even worse is the 64gig is $849 = 499 and it's 699 on the UK site 200 more expensive how is this allowed Mr Apple
    Last edited by Richard; 11-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post

$649 = 400 and on Apple UK we are charged 499 and what even worse is the 64gig is $849 = 499 and it's 699 on the UK site 200 more expensive how is this allowed Mr Apple

will this work on tmobile USA

Thanks
    Thanked 14,750 Times in 6,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zani1972 View Post
    Yes. But not 3G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default go for h2o wireless instead
    Quote Originally Posted by zani1972 View Post
    go for h2o wireless instead, they work off att towers and you'll get capped 3g instead of tmo's edge, but then again i wonder how fast would edge be versus capped 3g (119kbps) <---its the max

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

They will charge whatever people are willing to pay bud. Items around the globe have never sold for a mere conversion rate. To start, items would be fluctuating in price all the time if you did that. This isn't just Apple, this is everyone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

For some reason it's always cheaper in the US. I have family in Taiwan asking my parents to buy and send iPhones to them bc of how much more expensive it is there. In Taiwan, it's the equivalent of $400 USD for a new iPhone with contract. WITH contract! Consider $649 unlocked in the US cheap!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its called rip off Britain for a reason...

Thanks

Not just apple doing this amazon are gonna be hiking the price up of the new kindle,from what I've read there gonna be asking the same amount in the UK as they are in the US.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sorry but you are mis-representing the numbers. In the UK things are sold VAT inclusive and hence the 499
    price includes 20 Percent Vat. The price from apple if you take off the VAT is 415. Using the same exchange rate you used of
    1.62 that is $672.

That is not a lot of difference to the $649 price in the US before Tax.

The difference you are dealing with is almost totally due to Government Tax.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 11-11-2011 at 06:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

It's called...location location location... Everything that is sold is like that. Heck even BP. Nokia phones were cheaper in the US as well.

Kinda hard to market price for exchange rates

Thanks

they will come with 5.0.1 ;( it's sux I wanted 5.0 on my 4S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Sorry but you are mis-representing the numbers. In the UK things are sold VAT inclusive and hence the 499
    price includes 20 Percent Vat. The price from apple if you take off the VAT is 415. Using the same exchange rate you used of
    1.62 that is $672.

That is not a lot of difference to the $649 price in the US before Tax.

The difference you are dealing with is almost totally due to Government Tax.
    You are nearly right, but you forgot to add on import duty.

A friend of mine was going to the USA and wanted an iPad which looked a lot cheaper until we added VAT and import duty when the price was pretty much the same. When you then factor in sales tax (American prices are always quoted nett) it was actually more expensive to buy in the USA and bring back to the UK legally.

But people do like to moan about 'ripoff Britain' without letting facts get in the way. And when you take exchange rate fluctuations into account as well....

Now, about this price increase from 59 p to 69p for App store apps that cost 0.99$
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

"Rip-off Britain" is an old hat!
    Over 20 years ago I bought some squash balls (Made in Great Britain on them!) in Singapore for a fraction of the price I paid in UK, same make, same model and NO fakes!
    Makes you wonder how something that has been shipped half way around the world becomes cheaper.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I live in UK, I know full well its a damn rip off, and I know full well its the damn government.

The "made in ....." monikers can be put on anything made anywhere completely legally if they are made from materials that originated in the country they state they are made in.

cheap unsterilised backstreet surgical instruments made in pakistan can be stamped with made in Germany (well known as the best) as long as the steel is certified German stainless, this is completely legal.

But its not like these companies would think twice about stamping their inferior products in the same way is there, noooooo
    Last edited by lukeyb; 11-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    I live in UK, I know full well its a damn rip off, and I know full well its the damn government.
    I live in the UK and, as I have explained, we are not ripped off. i'm sure there are some examples but I'm also sure there are lots of examples where we are cheaper than other countries.

You " know full well its the damn government" - so what was the excuse before the last election? Or is it all governments? You would prefer anarchy?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 11-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I live in the UK and, as I have explained, we are not ripped off. i'm sure there are some examples but I'm also sure there are lots of examples where we are cheaper than other countries.

You " know full well its the damn government" - so what was the excuse before the last election? Or is it all governments? You would prefer anarchy?
    Agree. Although one area we do get screwed in is fuel cost. Even though there is alot of NorthSea oil we still get taxed a huge amount on it. Apparently the actual garages (not the company's) barely make a penny or two per litre sold.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The people in charge of the country are the only ones setting the tariffs so of course that's the reason. The tax system in uk is designed for maximum benefit to the government. I would prefer a better system, Clinton had the right idea, say what you want about him but his tax system was clearly effective

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Agree. Although one area we do get screwed in is fuel cost. Even though there is alot of NorthSea oil we still get taxed a huge amount on it. Apparently the actual garages (not the company's) barely make a penny or two per litre sold.
    Taxed on the fuel in the form of duty, then the whole of the sum is taxed with vat. 80% of the cost of our fuel is tax, the anarchy will eventually come, as those august riots showed, people get tired of being ripped off. They weren't about some man getting shot, that was just the excuse, people were at breaking point. You didn't see any well to do people out, it was all the low end of the economic scale, because the backwards tax system uk has hits the people with small income the most
    Last edited by lukeyb; 11-13-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

They weren't rioters they were looters. Scum that wanted something for nothing.

Thanks

I thought this thread was about unlocked phones being sold in the USA not about the British tax system?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.