Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 Now Available Supports iOS 5.0.1

Default sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 Now Available Supports iOS 5.0.1

Sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 Now Available!

iOS 5.0.1 was Apple's answer to the battery problems plaguing iOS 5. Although it has been reported that iOS 5.0.1 doesn't seem to be fixing the problem at all. iOS 5.0.1 also plugs up some important jailbreak exploits that hackers are working on using to develop the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5. Since it plugs up those exploits, Pod2g recommended not upgrading so that you can remain on the firmware that will support the untethered jailbreak when it comes out. If, however, you're too late and you've installed iOS 5.0.1 and are having trouble downgrading, you can still have a tethered jailbreak for your device. iH8sn0w tweeted just a few minutes ago that sn0wbreeze has been updated to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1.

Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11 can be downloaded here. This jailbreak tool only supports Windows and is not for Mac. Mac users can use redsn0w to jailbreak their iOS 5.0.1 device; Windows users can choose between this tool or redsn0w. Like I mentioned in the last news article that I wrote about sn0wbreeze, I feel that sn0wbreeze is an easier tool to use because of the pictures and better directions which take you step by step. This is a great way for new jailbreakers to understand how jailbreaking works. It seems more simple than redsn0w. While redsn0w has less steps involved, it doesn't really explain anything, you generally need to read a guide to learn how to use it, or have previous experience. Yet with sn0wbreeze you can be totally new to jailbreaking and understand what it's telling you to do because of the visuals.

The GUI looks the same as before:

Whats New in Version 2.8b11?
    • Supports iOS 5.0 (9A334)/5.0.1 (9A405)
    • Fixed iBooks sandbox crashing issues (as of 2.8b9).
    • Fixed location services issues with iPhone 3GS users running the iPad baseband (as of 2.8b9).
    • Re-added iPad baseband install option to iPhone 3GS.
    • Tethered devices are booted via iBooty which is extracted to the Desktop after running sn0wbreeze.

Old bootrom iPhone 3GS's can still have the untethered jailbreak. Anything newer is still tethered. The whole pastie by iH8sn0w can be read here.

Sources: iH8sn0w

I want unteathered jailbreak. Please

is this for the 4s

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacMan24 View Post
    I want unteathered jailbreak. Please
    Tethered plus semi tether=
    Last edited by iPod; 11-10-2011 at 07:57 PM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

This makes me tempted to go to 5.0.1, does the battery drain fix work for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by g4ess View Post
    is this for the 4s
    If it was, don't you think the writer would of pointed it out?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I have been out of town for the past few days and haven't upgraded to 5.0 yet. Is it too late? I downloaded the 5.0 firmware from the apple server link, but it won't work. If I find it elsewhere, will it work? And if so, where can I find it? Thanks

g

you generally need to read a guide to learn how to use it
    It's just one button in redsn0w: "Jailbreak". To be honest, you shouldn't be jailbreaking if you need a guide to click one button (Also, redsn0w explains what it's doing as it's doing it. It just does so too fast for most people to read!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleNerd For This Useful Post:

confucious (11-11-2011)

Default Lolzz, not yet
    Quote Originally Posted by g4ess View Post
    is this for the 4s
    not yet

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

I'd say both redsnow and snowbreeze are pretty easy to use and are self explanatory in what they are doing. Don't think I'd say snowbreeze is easier to use then redsnow, maybe the other way around if only jailbreaking is required.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd View Post
    It's just one button in redsn0w: "Jailbreak". To be honest, you shouldn't be jailbreaking if you need a guide to click one button (Also, redsn0w explains what it's doing as it's doing it. It just does so too fast for most people to read!)
    Well, technically 2 buttons as you have to click next after choosing jailbreak (unless the person knows how to enter DFU without instructions of course).

Yeah it's easy. But tell that to a 70 year old who's bent on tricking out their device but isn't tech-savvy at all. They may not know what DFU mode means; and redsn0w is text-based while sn0wbreeze uses images to clarify what it's explaining.

I'm a redsn0w user myself, but just throwing that out there.

I think apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0. I have tried upgrading to it over the past 2 hours or so, with no luck. Says my device is ineligible

Nobody should be on 5.0.1 anyway. If you're currently on 5.0.1 and are having trouble downgrading to 5.0, you should be trying harder to get to 5.0 while the signing window is still open. That's where the untether will be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleNerd For This Useful Post:

confucious (11-11-2011)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yeah it's easy. But tell that to a 70 year old who's bent on tricking out their device but isn't tech-savvy at all. They may not know what DFU mode means; and redsn0w is text-based while sn0wbreeze uses images to clarify what it's explaining.

I'm a redsn0w user myself, but just throwing that out there.
    But you have to struggle with restoring to your custom firmware and all the errors with that, and using multiple programs with sn0wbreeze. (iReb,iBooty) Redsn0w is all one package. I've personally used sn0wbreeze only once before, and don't plan on using it anytime soon.

Also, all ipsw files are just a google search away...in case you don't want to be forces to update to 5.0.1

Are there any other dev team members on this forum besides MuscleNerd?
    Last edited by iPod; 11-10-2011 at 08:36 PM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
    I think apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0. I have tried upgrading to it over the past 2 hours or so, with no luck. Says my device is ineligible
    More than likely your hosts are not pointed to Apple. You need to do this then try restoring to 5.0 again:
    Open tiny umbrella
    Click on advanced
    deselect the box that says "set hosts to cydia on exit"
    Close tiny umbrella and proceed with the restore

If you are an unlocker make sure to use a custom 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    But you have to struggle with restoring to your custom firmware and all the errors with that, and using multiple programs with sn0wbreeze. (iReb,iBooty) Redsn0w is all one package. I've personally used sn0wbreeze only once before, and don't plan on using it anytime soon.

Also, all ipsw files are just a google search away...in case you don't want to be forces to update to 5.0.1

Are there any other dev team members on this forum besides MuscleNerd?
    Sn0wbreeze is all one package if the jailbreak isn't tethered ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    More than likely your hosts are not pointed to Apple. You need to do this then try restoring to 5.0 again:
    Open tiny umbrella
    Click on advanced
    deselect the box that says "set hosts to cydia on exit"
    Close tiny umbrella and proceed with the restore

If you are an unlocker make sure to use a custom 5.0.

Ahhh good call! It was pointed at the cydia server, I just assumed that was Apple's IP

I actually find redsn0w to be easier to use. Sweet and Simple. I jailbreak a Verizon phone for a friend with sn0wbreeze and got confused fast. Too much going on in the UI IMO

I couldn't help upgrading to iOS5.0.1! I wanted those multitouch gestures the iPad2 has! I've been using them alot because my home button acts funky sometimes�� I'm willing to wait longer for an untether, I don't reboot that often for it to be a problem for me. I did hold off on upgrading my 3GS though. ? If you have 5.0 Ipswich saved, can't you restore to it at anytime? Do you need an Internet connection to restore if you already have the firmware and iTunes installed on your pc?

The other question now, is that is it safe to do the regular tether/semi-tethered JB on iOS 5.0, since there seems to be no way to downgrade once apple stops signing the 5.X firmwares. Do you think it would be an easy upgrade path for those that are already tethered JB'ed on 5.0?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Updated 5.0.1 earlier today just after it became available on my 4S hoping it fixes the battery drain. Now I hear the untether will be for 5.0. Oh well I can live without a jailbreak for a while.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast