View Poll Results: Have you noticed any changes in iOS 5.0.1?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah it fixed the issue.

4 25.00%
  • No it didn't fix the issue.

2 12.50%
  • I don't know, I didn't upgrade.

10 62.50%
+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.0.1 Apparently Not Fixing Battery Issue for Some

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by iphone?3gs Your kidding right? I don't think you understand the multitasking in iOS. It DOESNT leave every single app open. It puts them into standby state that
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Your kidding right? I don't think you understand the multitasking in iOS. It DOESNT leave every single app open. It puts them into standby state that doesn't use battery. You must be joking.. the MAIN POINT of iOS multitasking is that apps aren't left open like in other OSes like Android, they are frozen until you need them.
    Don't know about other mobile OS's, but I can tell you android handles multitasking apps very much like iOS. They aren't running either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    Ya 5.0.1 is a joke. The standby battery life is horrible.

I need to do a clean restore.
    By this are you implying that it's WORSE than 5.0? If not, then what's the point of downgrading?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-10-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs
    Your kidding right? I don't think you understand the multitasking in iOS. It DOESNT leave every single app open. It puts them into standby state that doesn't use battery. You must be joking.. the MAIN POINT of iOS multitasking is that apps aren't left open like in other OSes like Android, they are frozen until you need them.
    If an app is 'frozen' as you say, then that means that the RAM is depleted of any processed memory from that App. That means the app has been closed. In order to re-initialize the app again, it would need to relaunch from scratch to put that memory back into the RAM for you to work in that app again.

So what this means is that what you have stated is an impossibility. Android keeps the apps running in the background as well, otherwise they would have to be relaunched. The only way an app can continue from where it left off is if the app remains open in the RAM. If it's not open in the RAM, then it has to re-execute.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm trying to upgrade to 5.0 from 4.3.3, just so I can get it signed....keep getting the error "An unknown error occured.". Does this mean they r no longer signing 5.0?? Which means I am screwed?
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If an app is 'frozen' as you say, then that means that the RAM is depleted of any processed memory from that App. That means the app has been closed. In order to re-initialize the app again, it would need to relaunch from scratch to put that memory back into the RAM for you to work in that app again.

So what this means is that what you have stated is an impossibility. Android keeps the apps running in the background as well, otherwise they would have to be relaunched. The only way an app can continue from where it left off is if the app remains open in the RAM. If it's not open in the RAM, then it has to re-execute.
    So like windows hibernation?

-Luke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    So like windows hibernation?

-Luke
    Even when your Windows computer is in hibernation, you will lose battery life. This is because the RAM needs constant power to keep what it's holding inside of itself. If the computer dies you will lose everything and need to start over.

Thanks

Can anyone help me?? Does anyone know if Apple has stopped signing 5.0? I would like to know just so I know that's the problem and not something else!.....please help!
    El Zurdo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Have you checked your host file to make sure it is pointed at apple?

Thanks

My host file is clean. It is not supposed to be pointed at apple correct? I just have the standard hosts file.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sorry my bad, incorrect word usage in my part. What I meant to say is that the state of the app is "froze " or preserved. Android actually keeps apps open and running in the background (correct me if I'm wrong). While iOS does not, it "freezes" or pauses the app and resumes it when gong back onto the app. Again correct me if I'm wrong. Lol

So the gist was that iOS multitasking is different from others, and is not keeping each app running like he said. It is keeping the state of the app.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Thanks

Sorry my bad, incorrect word usage in my part. What I meant to say is that the state of the app is "froze " or preserved. Android actually keeps apps open and running in the background (correct me if I'm wrong). While iOS does not, it "freezes" or pauses the app and resumes it when gong back onto the app. Again correct me if I'm wrong. Lol

So the gist was that iOS multitasking is different from others, and is not keeping each app running like he said. It is keeping the state of the app.
    Because of the capabilities of RAM, iOS and Android multitask in exactly the same way. The GUI is different. But that's not important in the realm of hardware processing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    My host file is clean. It is not supposed to be pointed at apple correct? I just have the standard hosts file.
    In order to downgrade to 5.0 while it is still being signed you need to have it pointing to Apple's servers.

Thanks
    I've had my 4s (ATT) since release day and I've never experienced any battery life problems out of the box. The battery life has always been good for me. After upgrading to IOS 5.0.1 the battery life is even better. I fully charged my phone and unplugged it at 10:53 pm, it's now 12:12 am and my battery is still 100%! I haven't used the phone other than checking a few emails and facebook posts so far during that period of time. With IOS 5.0 the battery life was good and I probably would be down to about 90% or a bit less by now. With 5.0 I usually would lose about 8% - 10% an hour while lightly using or not using the phone at all. So, to me IOS 5.0.1 is difinately a winner when it comes to battery life.

Thanks

Kinda curious I'm on 4.3.3 and wondering how I would be able to update to 5.0 and not 5.0.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

How can i tell if i saved shsh blob for 4.3.3? I never did anything special? I just see it in cydia on top when i open it.
    So do i download iOS 5 from this website and how do i install it? Details please? What do i do exactly in itunes? And also never used tiny umbrella, do i have to do something there? Sorry for my ignorance :-) i have a 3GS iOS 4.3.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm perfectly fine without being unjailbroke at the moment, I updated an iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s to test iOS 5.0.1 and both are showing much better battery life, the i4 has not been used and is just sitting and shows no signs of battery loss, the 4s I've used a little and shows about 6% in a 2 hour period. I figured since I don't really mind not being jailbroke at the moment I'd test it out myself and give some feedback.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Could someone answer before apple stops signing iOS 5? And do i need to upgrade or restore?

Thanks

I'm on iPhone 4 iOS 5
    No problem at all with my battery, or this battery-bug is only on the iPhone 4S?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apparently?!?! Surely!!! IPhone 4S, stand by, over night 8hrs - 14% down..... SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you! 8hrs stand by -14% down in here!
    Last edited by illusion81; 11-11-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    I'll just say you are very close to "crossing the line". Take a breathe and calm down please.
    Crossing the line? hahaha ok forum police you do what you gotta do, a new account is only a register button away. This is probably right around my 23rd account anyways so makes no difference to me. I got no problem cluttering up your database with another account.

Quote Originally Posted by DontBeJealous View Post
    Immataure much?
    No I just tell it like it is. It's just that fanboy little tools like you who just hate hearing the truth

Your kidding right? I don't think you understand the multitasking in iOS. It DOESNT leave every single app open. It puts them into standby state that doesn't use battery. You must be joking.. the MAIN POINT of iOS multitasking is that apps aren't left open like in other OSes like Android, they are frozen until you need them. Thats smart, we dont need those apps to be open in the background on a phone. Unless its music, which does play in the background, there is no need to have an app open. Not even in a game, where you would probably pause it before you left the app. Please actually do some research before going on a rant about things like this. And also, don't call anyone stupid or "half brained" before doing the work yourself, it will often make you seem the same.

And to wrap it up that^ = battery preserver, not a battery killer
    LMAO, ok fanboy whatever you say. Unlike you I have developed several apps using xcode, I know exactly how Crapple's sh.itty multitasking works so you be a good little fanboy and keep spreading that BS around

Even when your Windows computer is in hibernation, you will lose battery life. This is because the RAM needs constant power to keep what it's holding inside of itself. If the computer dies you will lose everything and need to start over.
    Ohhhh my god are you serious right now?? Hibernation does NOT use battery life! Hibernation is exactly the same as turning your computer off except when you power back on Windows will pick up right where you left off. You can put a laptop in hibernation and remove the battery for any amount of time and when you power back up Windows will still be right where you left off. Apparently you been a MAC fanboy for so long you have no idea how PC's work. Perhaps you should read up over on the Wiki before you continue to make yourself look like an idiot.

Hibernation (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Man and you're a staff writer for this site?? hahahaha wow no wonder your members are so obtuse! Then again I guess simple people are needed for such a simple site
    Last edited by iKillYou; 11-11-2011 at 03:38 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea it didn't do **** for me. Now I can't downgrade