Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Crowds Get Unruly Outside Hong Kong Apple Store as iPhone 4S Arrives

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Crowds Get Unruly Outside Hong Kong Apple Store as iPhone 4S Arrives

It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "the crowd goes wild."

Long lines outside of Apple stores on the eve of a new product launch are common. But most of the time, violence and skirmishes prompting police intervention are rare. Unfortunately, such was the case yesterday in Hong Kong when the crowds grew rowdier than local police would allow.

M.I.C. Gadget, which chronicled the frenetic environment outside of the Apple store in Hong Kong, described the scene as one of chaotic excitement. So intense was the jockeying for position in line that authorities were forced to intervene when scalpers and other individuals from the iPhone "gray market" attempted to cut in line or pay their way into the line with cash incentives.

"I can't begin to accurately describe the scene on the walkways outside the Hong Kong Apple Store," one reporter in the region observed. "It's not Apple fans at all," he adds in reference to the unruly crowds. "It's line sitters and smugglers. They'll make $100 per phone, which is a week's wages for some of these low income people. Buy 5 phones and they make a month's salary."

The video below highlights the scene in question, which is notable for the shear size of the line. The crowd size, however, is not unexpected. Last week when it first became possible to preorder the iPhone 4S, the inventory was completely sold out within ten minutes.

Source: M.I.C. Gadget

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

That's funny

that's insane! Some of the cops probably want to get in line for the phone too...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

This is exactly why Apple only released the crappy 4s and not an iPhone 5. They knew millions would still buy it and act like idiots to get one.

wonder if it gonna B like this for the iphone 5?

Ridiculous!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

You are right, crazy over crappy iphone 4s. They will be dissappointed when they find out it can't be jailbroken or atleast lose the jailbreak if it crashes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

uhhh I've seen fights broke out for McDonalds Hello Kitty toys that you have to buy for $4 with your meal...Most of the people in line is buying to sell online to China for insane profits, I've seen them go for $2000+ a piece. Not surprising that people want to protect their phone.

The video doesn't show any rowdy or wild behaviour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 893 Posts

Is that guy a giant?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Line cutting happens here, people buy their way into lines also happens here.Figures... fishing for a story when there is none.Might be a very long line but nothing unruly.

They knew millions would still buy it and act like idiots to get one.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Line cutting happens here, people buy their way into lines also happens here.Figures... fishing for a story when there is none.Might be a very long line but nothing unruly.
    Did you read the article or just watch the video. Wait, you don't need to answer that. I know the answer to that question based on your response.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone jetlorider's Avatar
    Thanks

and that's how the China Wall was build!

I think a lot of people commenting in this topic are still using Motorolas Star-TAC, why heaters have to read about apple products if they don't have something good to say