+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases iOS 5.0.1 with Battery Fix Promised

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by punjabi212 Can it automatically update your iphone to 5.0.1 if you're on 5.0 right now? No u need to select it and agree to the terms!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Can it automatically update your iphone to 5.0.1 if you're on 5.0 right now?
    No u need to select it and agree to the terms!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

punjabi212 (11-10-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaLLy3K View Post
    I hope it's better than Beta 2. Beta 1 was amazing for battery life, B2 went south.
    Yes go to settings/software updates and you can update from there without a pc or mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Not nearly as concerned w/ JB given the features of 5.0...going to upgrade to 5.0.1 and if I have to wait a couple of months for JB, so be it. Improved battery life will be well worth it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I never thought I'd be able to love with a tethered jb, but it's not so bad. Especially with the semi tethered jb out there now. The only time I had an issue with not being able to shut the phone off was on a plane. It's worth the tethered boot just to get the notification center.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i upgraded from 4.3.3 to 5.0 yesterday , then decided it was crap so went back to 4.3.3,

so are you saying i will not be able to go back to 4.3.3 again if i upgrade to 5.0.1???

how come if i could yesterday using a custom IPSW?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Tried updating my 100% stock Iphone 4s. Running most current iTunes (10.5).

Downloaded from Apple and am getting error 3194 right after iTunes extracts the software....

"The iPhone "xxxxxx" could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3194)."

Thanks
    Anyone having problems downloading ota keep getting an error has occurred

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8677 View Post
    If anyone with a 3GS that updates to 5.0.1 and jailbreaks with redsnow 0.9.9b8 please let us know the results! As far as I know the beta 8 works fine on the ios 5.0.1 beta version but not sure about the actual public release. I'd like to know if this works before I do it. Using Redsnow beta 3 & it works flawlessly on 4.3.5. And yes I know they're both tethered. That's fine. The sooner they come out with untethered the better !
    I tried it and redsn0w complained that there was a fingerprint mismatch. Note that I already had upgraded the phone to 5.0.1 when I tried the JB. There is an option to use a specific IPSW file but did not try it and not sure if that would work or not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    Tried updating my 100% stock Iphone 4s. Running most current iTunes (10.5).

Downloaded from Apple and am getting error 3194 right after iTunes extracts the software....

"The iPhone "xxxxxx" could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3194)."
    always happens, overloaded servers.

One day apple will make something that works right away....dont think it will be in the near future though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

5.0.1 is tethered already with Redsn0w. Panic over people!

Thanks

Updating my 4S now. I'll report on improvement on battery life as soon as I can.

Updating my 4S now. I'll report on battery improvement when I can.
    Last edited by truenorth; 11-10-2011 at 04:29 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

5.0.1 Jailbreak completed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Again, all this warning of not to update to 5.0.1 is useless. As soon as the signing Window closes we're all out of luck should your iPhone crash & need to be restored. The most logical course of action would have been to get the SHSH blob situation taken care of first, then work on the jailbreak. As I posted itn he pog2g post, without a way to restore to a jailbreakable firmware, a jailbreak will become useless in a short time. At this point, I'm on 4.3.3 on my 3GS old bootrom, debating about getting the 4S, but still not sure. With no iBooks fix & no way to back up SHSH files, there is little point in going to 5.0 at this time. (Just my opinion)
    A work around the shsh blobs dilemma is a must for the jailbreak community

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0. I have tried upgrading to it over the past 2 hours or so, with no luck. Says my device is ineligible

Update: gs.apple.com was pointed to cydia servers in my host file...
    Last edited by gustovier; 11-10-2011 at 07:48 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

5.0 is still being signed. My iPhone 4 GSM is updating right now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyone know how to remove the badge on the settings app? I don't plan on updating to 5.0.1, but the dang notification badge is driving me batty!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    And what about all of us who don't need to regularly restore their OS? Seriously, I havn't had to do that in over 2 years; it's hardly something that makes staying on 5.0 "useless".

I noticed in the other thread how you kept emphasizing a need to focus on the shsh problem instead of a jailbreak, and I respectfully disagree. There seems to be a common misconception among non-programers that all tasks are equivalent, doing X is just as easy as doing Y, and that anyone is just as good at doing any task. Two things I'd point out:
    • The "SHSH problem" isn't something that just needs raw hours of programing to fix. Previously, Apple created a unique signature on a per-device, per-firmware basis. This allowed us to cache and re-use a signature for a given device-firmware combination. With their new system, a unique signature is created on a per-device per-instal basis, so caching it does not help next time you go to do an install. This isn't a programing problem, it's a security problem. If anyone has an idea to work around it, the community is all ears. A workaround may be discovered at some point, or it may never be found. Refocusing all resources on resolving this situation (whatever that actually means) would not only be illogical, it would possibly be entirely futile.
    • Not all developers focus on the same things, and not all development work is interchangeable. I see this misconception all the time with ongoing game development in the form of "why did they add X when they still haven't fixed Y". The most common reason is that different people do X and Y. Developing cydia and the jailbreaks themselves, trying to boot untethered, evaluating the usability of the recent memory bug, and many other things can all be done by people who lack a profound talent for hacking the type of signing mechanism used by Apple.
    Firstly I believe it is extremely short sighted to simply say "I haven't had to restore in 2 years" because you're a small sample size. I too have only restore when updating firmware but a quick trip to the forums can show you how big of a problem it can be.

Also, I never said "X" is as easy as "Y" when it comes to programming. I simply said that I feel that a solution to the SHSH blob situation is more important in the chain than the actual jailbreak & the quick release of 5.0.1 was a great example of why a solution is so vital.

As I said, a JB is important, but without a sure fire way to remain on a jailbreakable firmware it is simply a matter of time before the boards are filled with requests for the newer firmware to be jailbroken.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    I have the same hardware as you, and I updated my iP4 to iOS5 about a week ago, and just did my iPad today. This is the first time I've used a tethered JB but I just looked at it from the perspective of "how many times in the last year have I actually had to power-cycle my phone?" My answer was none, so might as well go for it. I obviously haven't run into a problem with it yet, and if I do I might revert, but it just seemed a waste to miss out on all of the iOS5 stuff because there's still an incredibly small chance of a power-cycle while I'm out. Remember you can still respring, so you'd need a full on hard crash or a dead battery to really cause a problem.
    Thanks for the output, you convinced me about upgrading my iPhone. But what about your iPad2, you can't jailbreak at all on iOS5 at the moment, no?

Thanks

Kinda funny story....saw the 5.0.1 update was out so I figured I would do the OTA update to remedy the battery issue...at the same time I'm reading on modmyi and see where it was advised not to update if you want to jailbreak....so...after it downloaded luckily it asks if you want to install now or later...so I chose later. I downloaded it yesterday, and was sitting here a couple hours ago and just happened to look at my iPhone and it said "verifying update". There was no stopping it, and it started on its on lol. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys. I'm on the iPhone 4s so I know there isn't a jailbreak for it yet...but I don't want to get left behind because of this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

How long could we actually be out of a 5.0 jailbreak till it comes out after updating?
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P