+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Still Dominant iPhone Carrier Despite Shrinking Market Share

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Reports are indicating that AT&T continues to be the dominant iPhone carrier in the US even after Verizon entered the market grabbing 40% of the users in half the time.
    Thanks

Default AT&T Still Dominant iPhone Carrier Despite Shrinking Market Share

Reports are indicating that AT&T continues to be the dominant iPhone carrier in the US even after Verizon entered the market grabbing 40% of the users in half the time. Furthermore, it was expected that Sprint would steal a large portion of the market after it hopped on the iPhone bandwagon with the release of the iPhone 4S (with its unlimited data plan). This apparently isn’t the case though, as Sprint currently stands at 12% of the iPhone 4S market share.

Although AT&T seems to have less than stellar service in urban areas such as New York and San Francisco, it does have speed advantages as well as the ability to talk and use data at the same time. Looking at the distribution of the iPhone 4 though, Sprint seems to have stepped into more of Verizon’s market share than AT&T’s. Considering AT&T is at 60% market share against Verizon’s 40% on the iPhone 4, Sprint (with the release of the iPhone 4S) only hit AT&T by 4% whereas it cut into 8% of Verizon’s share.

It is important to note though that Verizon users were still probably on their first year of their wireless contract, therefore upgrading would cost a significant more amount of money. AT&T on the other hand can mine its existing base of iPhone users – an advantage that Sprint and Verizon did not have. With many AT&T users nearing the end of their contract, especially those with older devices, AT&T has been aggressively attempting to push customers to sign new two-year contracts with the iPhone 4S – this data suggests that their efforts are yielding positive results.

What do you think? Which carrier are you on? Are you interested in switching or are you satisfied with your current carrier? Share any thoughts below!

Source: Localytics

Thanks

AT&T all the way!
    AT&T > Verizon > Sprint
    Enough said.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T!!! I love my unlimited data plan and I love my talk and surf at same time. Plus I got 3G in the boon docks..

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

I'm on T-Mobile.

But we don't have any of these carriers here in the UK.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I'm on the AT&T network (h2o) little disappointed about the signal and now international text messages aren't working I wish t-mobile could carry the iPhone any time soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone qbnucca's Avatar
    Thanks

On Tmobile had the original iPhone 3G 3GS and 4 I will wait for as long as it takes for Tmobile to get it I worked for all the major cellphone carriers and Tmobile is by far the best. Best customer service, best plans, best iPhone troubleshooting team lol. They will help you more with the iPhone then the apple store.

Thanks

I must share this little story, but I'm on AT&T and I was on 200 MB data for $15 and I had been watching video on my phone via wifi at home then I decided to catch a movie at the theater. Long story short, the media ran in the background for over the 3 hours I was out and exceeded my 200 mb of data easily so I had to opt for 2GB data running my bill to $81.53 from $71 they said my iPhone 4 did this to me and transferred me to a tech lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm grandfathered with unlimited data on AT&T. I'm not going anywhere.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm on Verizon and it's great. Never had any problems. And i rarely ever catch myself trying to do anything, much less surf the internet, while I'm in a voice call. So that's not really a selling point for me. I'm gonna stick with Verizon and unlimited data for a looooong time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone KBI2113's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm on AT&T right now, but our contract is almost up. I'm seriously debating switching over to Verizon,. There's no 3G near me for 20+ miles in every direction. And I'm fed up with their customer service. But I don't know how much better Verizon will be. Decisions decisions.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I stayed with AT&T and do love my unlimited... I have been checking out my friends with Verizon phones to compare signals and they have always been the same. However when my husband is way up in upper Michigan his brothers phones can get signal and AT&T can't.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure I understand where the numbers are coming from in this article; specifically those asserting that AT&T has/had more customers up for upgrades and so that - and those "tricky" marketing schemes - have to be the reason they are still signing up more customers. The three major carriers all USED to have fairly generous upgrade policies until earlier this year, VZW has (had) more customers than AT&T (meaning, more ppl to upgrade at any given time) and boards like this one were just littered with Jump Ship AT&T customers who "couldn't wait" until an iPhone was offered on another carrier. Yet, here we are almost a year after those facts and Big Blue is still trucking ahead of the competition?? Well, I guess I'll give VZW more time and we'll revisit this when LTE is fully rolled out for all... (or is it perhaps that AT&T isn't the broken down network it's been made out to be??)

iPhone? More like MyPhone KBI2113's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I stayed with AT&T and do love my unlimited... I have been checking out my friends with Verizon phones to compare signals and they have always been the same. However when my husband is way up in upper Michigan his brothers phones can get signal and AT&T can't.
    Exactly. My friend has Verizon (droid) and I have AT&T (iPhone). We always joke about who has the better phone. But when we go to more vacant places, his has better reception (and still 3G). But it'd be really, really hard for me to give up my unlimited data.

Thanks

Well, I guess I'll give VZW more time and we'll revisit this when LTE is fully rolled out for all...
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.