+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Android and iOS Platforms Crush Veterans Nintendo and Sony in Portable Gaming Revenues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Android and iOS Platforms Crush Veteran's Nintendo and Sony in Portable Gaming Revenues

According to new estimates for the U.S. portable game software revenue by Flurry Analytics, 2011 has seen Nintendo’s grip on the market dip further with Android and iOS games tripling their market share from 20% in 2009 to a whopping 60% in 2011. It seems that Nintendo’s president Satoru Iwata was correct when he declared Apple and iOS as the “enemy of the future” for his company back in 2010.

The data shows the U.S. revenue for Flurry’s portable gaming category – a category that includes the Nintendo DS, the Sony PSP, the iOS platform, and the Android platform. It’s quite obvious that the Android and the iOS platform combined have taken the lead from Nintendo with 58% revenues in comparison to last year’s 34%. With the total U.S. revenue jumping from $2.7 billion in 2009 to $3.3 billion in 2011, the Nintendo DS, which held 57% during 2010 dropped to just 36% in 2011.

The veteran gaming companies - Nintendo and Sony - combined are being beaten out by the two relatively new competitors in the scene – Apple and Google. This year marks the first year where the new platforms dominate with the Android and iOS platform estimating to rake in $1.9 billion in comparison to Nintendo’s DS and Sony’s PSP, which are bringing in $1.4 billion.

Nintendo which had captured roughly two-thirds of the market in 2009 has seen Apple demote them to becoming the third of the market. It isn’t much of a surprise that investors were urging Nintendo to begin developing iOS titles but the veteran gaming company has been hesitant thus far. Sony on the other hand has been lagging further behind from the start and is currently putting forth its effort towards the new handheld device for 2012, Sony PlayStation Vita.

The biggest thing I feel Nintendo and Sony are missing here are low priced games that can be downloaded directly onto the device. While I feel that games made from Nintendo and Sony are more in-depth, it seems to me that more Android and iOS games are slowly heading in that direction. Where Apple and Google really come out on top is the low priced games that provide a sense of entertainment on a multipurpose device. I don’t think there is much of a debate that Nintendo and Sony will have to adapt to a similar strategy. We’ll have to see how things turn out though in the future.

What do you think of the whole ordeal? What are some of your favorite iOS games? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Flurry

Thanks

Like I said in a previous topic nintendo should stop being stupid and port their games to iOS I don't see myself playing Nintendo ds on the train but if they have games for ios I will buy them for sure, even my kids ask for super mario when they have my phone,

My favorites games are pandamania and cut the rope and soon super mario touch

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nintendo are not porting their games across because they need them on their hardware so people will buy their inferior hardware. Using software excuse to drive hardware sales.Just like Apple are doing with 4S and Siri. However mario on iPhone would be great.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Who saw this coming? I DID!! Its just a matter of a few variables. 1. The economy sucks and people are going to "cut the fat". For gamers, this means that they are going to cut back to one major gaming platform; i.e., they have to choose: Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. Even more specifically, Home Console or Portable. Obviously, the home console is going to win against portable if one or the other has to go - therefore people are going to stop buying next generation portable machines and drastically reduce their portable gaming expediters for mobile platforms they already own. 2. Despite the crappy economy, everyone needs a phone. In addition, everyone thinks they need an iPod. The logical thing to do is to buy an iPhone to ultimately save money and space through buying one device instead of 2. 3. iPhone and Android games are much cheaper than PSP game and Nintendo DS/3DS games are. 4. iPhone and Android provide TRUE portability when it comes to gaming. a. the device fits in A NORMAL PERON'S front pocket. b. The games are much more "pick up and play" friendly - regardless if said game is "hard core" or "casual". 5. Gamers are (on average) older now, and are going to make sexier (and more practical) choices when it comes to devices. What 30 year old wants to be seen in public with a DS/3DS? NOT ME!! So basically, its a combination of factors that have killed Nintendo and Sony's grasp on the handheld market. But the biggest killer was inability to adapt.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iOS and iDevices will never be a legit gaming device until somebody puts out a physical controller that is compatible with the games.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Not only what klouud says is true, but don't forget that its much easier, and cost effective for a developer to pay $100 a year and make as many games as they like on iOS than to jump through hoops to get on a Nintendo/Sony device. No need for super expensive debug units and licensing costs that are a bit ridiculous, especially for the indie guys that are making iOS what it is. The system with the most developers gets the most recognition and makes the most money. Simple.
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 11-10-2011 at 06:24 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    However mario on iPhone would be great.
    Have you actually tried to play any games using a emulator or any of the games capcom put oil the app store like ghouls and ghosts or megaman? They are absolutely horrible to try and use on a touch screen. Certain games like Cut The Rope and Angry Birds are designed for touch screens. I cannot think of many iOS games that wasn't used to pass time while dropping a deuce. Like many others have said, these devices need a gamepad to play complex games.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh for casual gamers, not hardcore gamers.PS Vita here I come.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    Like I said in a previous topic nintendo should stop being stupid and port their games to iOS I don't see myself playing Nintendo ds on the train but if they have games for ios I will buy them for sure, even my kids ask for super mario when they have my phone,

My favorites games are pandamania and cut the rope and soon super mario touch
    Or they can just integrate their handheld console into a phone like what Sony is doing with the Xperia Play. Like they say, if you can't beat them join them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallicafan1991 View Post
    yeh for casual gamers, not hardcore gamers.ps vita here i come.
    got mine reserved and waiting! Woooooooooooooooooo
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fanboy. So annoying! Games are games whether there on your device or not. Whatever the people want for entertainment is up to them. If their the sorry excuse for casual gamers then so be it. No skill.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcsims View Post
    Have you actually tried to play any games using a emulator or any of the games capcom put oil the app store like ghouls and ghosts or megaman? They are absolutely horrible to try and use on a touch screen. Certain games like Cut The Rope and Angry Birds are designed for touch screens. I cannot think of many iOS games that wasn't used to pass time while dropping a deuce. Like many others have said, these devices need a gamepad to play complex games.

I disagree. Gameloft did a wonderful job with the V-stick. Just because other developers are doing a shoddy job with controls does not mean it can't be done well. I personally think that the dedicated handheld gaming machine is dead. And the vita will probably be DOA. the future of portable is cell phones. I game more on my 4S than my xbox360!! My 4S cranks out about the same caliber of gaming, and fits in my pocket... What's there not to like?

Thanks

they can just integrate their handheld console into a phone like what Sony is doing with the Xperia Play.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.