+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Turns Data on For Smartphones Without Plans, Users Hit With Huge Data Charges

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile Turns Data on For Smartphones Without Plans, Users Hit With Huge Data Charges

Earlier this year T-Mobile announced they would be shifting all Smartphone users to a Pay-Per-Use data payment plan whether they wanted to or not. They would notify users by email or their September bill. The “feature” cannot be disabled through the device or via My T-Mobile.

Infuriating yes. Legal probably. Still going on? Sadly, yes.

MMi reader Eric Wilden recently fell victim to T-Mobile’s underhanded tactics. Three of the five smartphones associated with Wilden’s T-Mobile account started transmitting data. The problem, these three phones—iPhones no less— had no data plan attached to them. T-Mobile’s price for this pay-as-you-go access is $2 per MB.

Wilden’s wife and kids—whom the phones belong too—reported that they started receiving email, and other data specific updates while driving around. Suspicious, Wilden performed a #932 data check on each of their phones.

The shocking result: $150 in unwanted, and seemingly unwarranted data charges.

Wilden immediately called T-Mobile to figure things out. Wilden also had the foresight to record both calls made to T-Mobile. After sitting through 20 minutes of hold time, two supervisors, and two hours on the phone Wilden got T-Mobile to block the Pay-Per-Use data as well as refund the $150 charged to his account.

Listening to Wilden’s phone calls, T-Mobile’s reps outlined only two options at first. One: Wilden could add the Pay-Per-Use block and pay the $150 in data charges. Two: Wilden could choose a data plan for the phones to operate on and have the $150 overage dropped and a monthly data plan put in its place.

Judging by the hoops Wilden had to go through T-Mobile is hoping most smartphone users don’t have the gumption to pursue a refund and data block on their Pay-Per-Use devices thereby securing another paying data plan customer.

A quick search through the T-Mobile support forums and I found a number of threads with similar stories to Wilden’s. T-Mobile alerted customers of the changes to their plan—whether those customers received or understood the alert is another story—and informed them the changes would take place 30 days from the notification which was on 9/18. Problem is, T-Mobile decided to charge many of these customers for the pay-period between 9/19 and 10/18 even though the charges weren’t supposed to start till the billing cycle after 10/18. T-Mobile reps gave these individuals the same run around T-Mobile subjected Wilden to, attempting to push them into a data plan to get the enormous data charges wiped from their account.

T-Mobile has effectively activated Pay-Per-Use data plans on thousands of their subscribers phones, a disproportionate amount of which are iPhone owners using unlocked phones on the network. Again, it might be legal, but surely it isn’t best practices. Thousands of uninformed users will likely incur a mountain of data charges unknowingly and be subjected to the run-around Wilden and others have been subject to.

My advice to T-Mobile customers worried they could be affected by these data charges is to check your bill, run a #932 data check, and if the charges are there call T-Mobile immediately. Do not accept their “Two Options” either. Demand a refund, if the person you’re talking to can’t give it to you, ask for someone who can.

Also, act fast. The change is now affecting all smartphones on T-Mobile's that previously did not have data plans attached and at $1.99/MB can get expensive quick.

Source: Eric Wilden, T-Mobile Support Forum

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get it. How did these customers use data previously? Were they just using data without being charged for it? Or did they have a previous data block on the devices that was dropped by T-Mobile and replaced with the pay per use package?

Edit: Ok, I think I get it. They didn't have a data plan at all, which meant they didn't receive data. Once T-Mobile added the pay per use, data transmittion was enabled and the phones then started doing so. Right?
    Last edited by justibackwardsn; 11-09-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    I don't get it. How did these customers use data previously? Were they just using data without being charged for it? Or did they have a previous data block on the devices that was dropped by T-Mobile and replaced with the pay per use package?

Edit: Ok, I think I get it. They didn't have a data plan at all, which meant they didn't receive data. Once T-Mobile added the pay per use, data transmittion was enabled and the phones then started doing so. Right?
    Exactly. They operated over Wi-Fi only. One user claimed T-Mobile charged him for data sent over Wi-Fi, but I was unable to confirm it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thats funny to hear since an iphone on T-Mobile needs to have the apn settings put in to use data. This guy must have put them in. I do not think T-Mobile would put the settings in his iPhone for him.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Pay-per-use? That's just nuts. How you could have a smartphone with no data plan? Why would you even buy a smartphone if you weren't planning on using it the way it was intended? At least AT&T makes it mandatory for its smartphones. T-Mobile is garbage...

Thanks

I got these charges also. I tried to perform a #932 data check, but I guess T-Mobile just says that "All circuits are busy now"

Green Apple
    Thanks

I got charged around $100 because of this stupid t-mobile services as well. I called them many times and demanded for a refund but they won't let me. At the end, I told them to block this stupid service within my account...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azxken View Post
    I got charged around $100 because of this stupid t-mobile services as well. I called them many times and demanded for a refund but they won't let me. At the end, I told them to block this stupid service within my account...
    Get a plan.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkvelidadon For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (11-17-2011), stryker_tc (11-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moody1 View Post
    Thats funny to hear since an iphone on T-Mobile needs to have the apn settings put in to use data. This guy must have put them in. I do not think T-Mobile would put the settings in his iPhone for him.
    They weren't using data, only connecting to WiFi, then T-Mobile enabled it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stryker_tc View Post
    Pay-per-use? That's just nuts. How you could have a smartphone with no data plan? Why would you even buy a smartphone if you weren't planning on using it the way it was intended? At least AT&T makes it mandatory for its smartphones. T-Mobile is garbage...
    how about you want a phone, an internet capable device, an ipod, a camera, but you dont want the data part? does this answer your question? how is a smartphone suppose to be used?

Banned
    Thanks

since an iphone on T-Mobile needs to have the apn settings put in to use data.

Thanks

This is crazy, tmobile users should go to simple mobile , same network but cheaper

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    how about you want a phone, an internet capable device, an ipod, a camera, but you dont want the data part? does this answer your question? how is a smartphone suppose to be used?
    nope sure doesn't. plenty of flip phones out there that can do all of that. basically, you want to pimp, but can't afford to. head to wal-mart for pay as you go plans, not AT&T for an iPhone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm not sure it would be a dumb thing to have iPhones without data plans. I would have given my kids my old iPhones if they could use them on WiFi only. There young and don't need to be on the internet away from home and I don't need to pay for a stupid data plan for kids. And why not have a phone with a camera and music player that uses the apple OS. It's just greed on the part of AT$T that makes them have to have a data plan.Anyway who ever gets hit with this charge should call back as many times as possible and ask for a supervisor and someone will help them. You just have to get past the idiots they have in place to wear you down so you'll give in.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd love to have a wifi only iPhone!!!
    Or 3!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I put the APN settings in for the purpose of MMS messaging - which does not count against data usage, but against your text messaging usage. Glad I read this article, checked my account, and have only used 21.6 mb of data fortunatetely. Regardless, T-Mobile will be getting a not so happy call from me today!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

What I don't understand is the narrow-mindedness of people who think like you! NO COMPANY SHOULD MAKE DATA MANDATORY! It should be your choice. If I choose to use my iphone or any smartphone without data plans for whatever reason I have it should be nobody's business except my own. LOTS of people have wi-fi wherever they are and do NOT NEED DATA! I have wi-fi everywhere except in my car. I don't need data in my car... yet ATT insists I pay for a data plan... that is just plain wrong!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    I'm not sure it would be a dumb thing to have iPhones without data plans. I would have given my kids my old iPhones if they could use them on WiFi only. There young and don't need to be on the internet away from home and I don't need to pay for a stupid data plan for kids. And why not have a phone with a camera and music player that uses the apple OS. It's just greed on the part of AT$T that makes them have to have a data plan.Anyway who ever gets hit with this charge should call back as many times as possible and ask for a supervisor and someone will help them. You just have to get past the idiots they have in place to wear you down so you'll give in.
    I dominantly use my iPhone over Wi-Fi as well but, I also use the network, a lot, so much that I personally don't think it's a ripoff to have to pay for a plan. Keep in mind I also still fall under the grandfather "unlimited" plan. I'm sure it's a matter of time before I have to do a "capped" plan. Also, it's not like Apple doesn't make devices that don't mimic the iPhone minus 3G. Checking stocks, prices on shelves for price comparison, and navigation while I'm away from home are just some of the examples I'm using here. If I didn't care about or want to take advantage of things like that, I would have just gone with an iPod. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

nope sure doesn't. plenty of flip phones out there that can do all of that. basically, you want to pimp, but can't afford to. head to wal-mart for pay as you go plans, not AT&T for an iPhone...
    There is you being narrow-minded again! iT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AFFORDING IT, IT HAS TO DO WITH BEING FORCED TO PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU DO NOT NEED OR WANT! Besides I have 5 people on my family plan they would all like to use iphones but I do not allow it, SOOOO they carry a separate cell phone camera, game device and ipod. I am debating getting them ipod touches so they would only have to carry cell phone and ipod touch BUT If I was not forced into data palns they could carry just an iphone 4 which can serve as music player gaming device camera phone and internet when are on wi-fi. No one should be forced to pay for a service they do not want or use especially when there is not good reason for it except to increase their profits!

I dominantly use my iPhone over Wi-Fi as well but, I also use the network, a lot, so much that I personally don't think it's a ripoff to have to pay for a plan. Keep in mind I also still fall under the grandfather "unlimited" plan. I'm sure it's a matter of time before I have to do a "capped" plan. Also, it's not like Apple doesn't make devices that don't mimic the iPhone minus 3G. Checking stocks, prices on shelves for price comparison, and navigation while I'm away from home are just some of the examples I'm using here. If I didn't care about or want to take advantage of things like that, I would have just gone with an iPod. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just my opinion.
    YOU are ruffling feathers! YOUR USE and desires is not the same as others. The ipod touch does NOT have the same features and abilities of the iphone 4 4S or even 3GS!!!
    Really you need to check stock prices when you are out and about??? I check at starbucks or McDonalds but guess what they have wi-fi!

Prices on shelves what with a barcode scanner or even the internets? So you ARE price conscious! But most places have free wi-fi for that also!
    You say it is just your opinion BUT yet you bash people for not wanting it or push them to get a cheap phone plan with pay as you go. THAT is not expressing an opinion THAT is sticking your nose up at people, THAT is narrow-minded thinking that the way YOU think is the the ONLY way or the right way! Read Orwells 1984 it will be like looking in a mirror...
    Last edited by Dranon; 11-10-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks