Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Turns Data on For Smartphones Without Plans, Users Hit With Huge Data Charges

saw this on the Howardfourms a few days back and got on chat ASAP. they turned if off/block it. as some said there starting to act like ATT already.

Quote Originally Posted by stryker_tc View Post
    Pay-per-use? That's just nuts. How you could have a smartphone with no data plan? Why would you even buy a smartphone if you weren't planning on using it the way it was intended? At least AT&T makes it mandatory for its smartphones. T-Mobile is garbage...
    I'm on pre paid and don't care about data on the go. I use wi-fi. I think you are nuts to be willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money every month just so you can get mail, tweet, whatever the heck you do. Nothing is so important it can't wait until I have wi-fi to do it. Not everyone thinks the same way you do.
    Hmm...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    I'm on pre paid and don't care about data on the go. I use wi-fi. I think you are nuts to be willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money every month just so you can get mail, tweet, whatever the heck you do. Nothing is so important it can't wait until I have wi-fi to do it. Not everyone thinks the same way you do.
    That's right, they don't. Forums sure would be boring if they did now wouldn't they?
    Last edited by stryker_tc; 11-11-2011 at 01:57 AM.

i worked at T-Mobile for over 2 years as a CS rep, and got these calls all the time. the fact is, not only do they tell the customer that the feature is being added to their account, but the first time you make use of it, you are given a message right there on the screen that says further use of that feature will charge 1.99 per mb used. you are given the option to agree or disagree, and also to contact customer care for questions. if the person using that phone agrees to the charges, and continues to use data, the charges are then valid, because you as a customer were forewarned, and were given the chance to opt out. as far as WiFi only iPhones, the same thing happened with them, because T-Mobile started cracking down on data usage on non-T-Mobile devices without a tmobile data plan. so if you used an iphone on the tmobile network, and used data at all, over wifi or not, you could be charged up to 50 dollars a month. the only catch is is that because it is not a tmobile phone, you would not receive any warning messages that you were being charged. they got away with this because in the contact it states that by using a non-tmobile device, you open yourself to any possible charges that may be incurred from the use of said device on the tmobile network. we were authorized for 2 options in this case, we could refund one months worth of charges ($50) and offer the customer a data plan that would save them money because not only is it 20 bucks cheaper, but would allow for data usage anywhere, regardless of wifi. if the customer declined the data plan, we could still refund the $50, but the account would be noted very clearly that they had declined the data plan, and they had been advised that any further data usage would be charged at the rate of 1.99 per MB. i even had one customer try and tell me the charges were bogus because the iPhone he was was using didnt even have WiFi capabilities. simple fact is is that whenever wireless companies do this, they push to burden on you, the customer, to be capable enough to manage your own wireless account. you are notified in many different ways of charges, and if you dont call customer care to ask about them, or do anything to stop them, you have no room to complain about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Whetto939 For This Useful Post:

stryker_tc (11-10-2011)

Default Just a lot of hot air....
    Quote Originally Posted by Whetto939 View Post
    i worked at T-Mobile for over 2 years as a CS rep, and got these calls all the time. the fact is, not only do they tell the customer that the feature is being added to their account, but the first time you make use of it, you are given a message right there on the screen that says further use of that feature will charge 1.99 per mb used. you are given the option to agree or disagree, and also to contact customer care for questions. if the person using that phone agrees to the charges, and continues to use data, the charges are then valid, because you as a customer were forewarned, and were given the chance to opt out. as far as WiFi only iPhones, the same thing happened with them, because T-Mobile started cracking down on data usage on non-T-Mobile devices without a tmobile data plan. so if you used an iphone on the tmobile network, and used data at all, over wifi or not, you could be charged up to 50 dollars a month. the only catch is is that because it is not a tmobile phone, you would not receive any warning messages that you were being charged. they got away with this because in the contact it states that by using a non-tmobile device, you open yourself to any possible charges that may be incurred from the use of said device on the tmobile network. we were authorized for 2 options in this case, we could refund one months worth of charges ($50) and offer the customer a data plan that would save them money because not only is it 20 bucks cheaper, but would allow for data usage anywhere, regardless of wifi. if the customer declined the data plan, we could still refund the $50, but the account would be noted very clearly that they had declined the data plan, and they had been advised that any further data usage would be charged at the rate of 1.99 per MB. i even had one customer try and tell me the charges were bogus because the iPhone he was was using didnt even have WiFi capabilities. simple fact is is that whenever wireless companies do this, they push to burden on you, the customer, to be capable enough to manage your own wireless account. you are notified in many different ways of charges, and if you dont call customer care to ask about them, or do anything to stop them, you have no room to complain about it.

The only part of this that is justifiable is T-Mobile cracking down on people who were using, and not paying for, their(cellular) network for data.
    Anything more than that is corporate greed. You cannot justify charging someone for using Wi-Fi on their phone, unless it's owned by T-Mobile.
    That's like me buying a car, and the car dealer wanting to charge me per gallon of gas I use that I bought somewhere else.
    Think before you speak, don't just spew corporate policy and procedure.

And yes, wireless companies do this all the time...but that doesn't make it right. There should be legislation against this...
    When I sign up for service, I have to sign a contract, and be bound by it. Why does the provider not?
    I can't decide to change what I'm paying whenever I want, so why should they be able to change what they charge whenever they want.
    And the worst part is that they don't just change it, they force it. The better option would be to not allow any data on phones that don't have a plan, and if they want it, they can add. Not adding to everyone, and have them try to deal with later. Again, just another way for them to cheat people.

yep sounds right... similar to what AT&T did but AT&T just added a data plan instead of pay per use.. i think it's wrong. I should be allowed to use a smartphone with no data if I choose to. It's not costing the carriers anything. why should I have to pay for data if I buy an iPhone off contract. And i see the replies now, I've gotten them before... "why would you want an iPhone without data?" Easy many reasons:1. I have WiFi at work and home... i don't want to pay for data if i rarely use it... can just use WiFi.2. i can use it as a GPS. (no you don't need data to use GPS, you do for the default maps program but not if you use TomTom.3. mp3 player4. camera.5. i don't want to carry a phone, an mp3 player, gps, and camera. One device! (this might be the best reason)Does anyone have a way to use an iPhone without getting hit without having a data plan. preferably at&t but i'm willing to switch. The only way i have seen to hide the fact your using an iPhone is switching IMEI.
    Last edited by pichito; 11-10-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    I put the APN settings in for the purpose of MMS messaging - which does not count against data usage, but against your text messaging usage. Glad I read this article, checked my account, and have only used 21.6 mb of data fortunatetely. Regardless, T-Mobile will be getting a not so happy call from me today!
    Sorry but your are wrong MMS does count against your data plan that is why you had to put the APN setting in. SMS does not count against your data plan and makes use of the voice network. You dont want data switch it off on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    I don't get it. How did these customers use data previously? Were they just using data without being charged for it? Or did they have a previous data block on the devices that was dropped by T-Mobile and replaced with the pay per use package?

Edit: Ok, I think I get it. They didn't have a data plan at all, which meant they didn't receive data. Once T-Mobile added the pay per use, data transmittion was enabled and the phones then started doing so. Right?
    ...yep sounds right... similar to what AT&T did but AT&T just added a data plan instead of pay per use.. i think it's wrong. I should be allowed to use a smartphone with no data if I choose to. It's not costing the carriers anything. why should I have to pay for data if I buy an iPhone off contract.

And i see the replies now, I've gotten them before... "why would you want an iPhone without data?"
    Easy many reasons:
    1. I have WiFi at work and home... i don't want to pay for data if i rarely use it... can just use WiFi.
    2. i can use it as a GPS. (no you don't need data to use GPS, you do for the default maps program but not if you use TomTom.
    3. mp3 player
    4. camera.
    5. i don't want to carry a phone, an mp3 player, gps, and camera. One device! (this might be the best reason)

Does anyone have a way to use an iPhone without getting hit without having a data plan. preferably at&t but i'm willing to switch. The only way i have seen to hide the fact your using an iPhone is switching IMEI.

Wouldn't this be considered a breach of contract on T-mobile's part?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Craziness! Cell phone companies controlling our everyday lives...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
    ...yep sounds right... similar to what AT&T did but AT&T just added a data plan instead of pay per use.. i think it's wrong. I should be allowed to use a smartphone with no data if I choose to. It's not costing the carriers anything. why should I have to pay for data if I buy an iPhone off contract.

And i see the replies now, I've gotten them before... "why would you want an iPhone without data?"
    Easy many reasons:
    1. I have WiFi at work and home... i don't want to pay for data if i rarely use it... can just use WiFi.
    2. i can use it as a GPS. (no you don't need data to use GPS, you do for the default maps program but not if you use TomTom.
    3. mp3 player
    4. camera.
    5. i don't want to carry a phone, an mp3 player, gps, and camera. One device! (this might be the best reason)

Does anyone have a way to use an iPhone without getting hit without having a data plan. preferably at&t but i'm willing to switch. The only way i have seen to hide the fact your using an iPhone is switching IMEI.
    YES you can go to puretalkusa dot com . They are an MVNO. They have the exact same coverage as ATT because they use/piggyback on ATT's network. You can get unlimted talk and text for $39.95 and just slip the sim card in, no jailbreaking unlocking necesarry! AND it is just $39.95 NO TAXES!!!!!!!!! They also have plans as low as $10 month for 110 minutes if you just need a few minutes! I have my daughter on this plan as she NEVER talks on her phone just uses it for emergencies or quick calls to us the rest of the time her iphone is used for ipod, camera, internet on wi-fi at school, gps in her car (tomTom app) games etc. She has wi-fi almost all the time so she uses text-free for texting her friends, facebbook etc!

On Android phones, there is an easy fix for this, simply change the APN, it can't connect to dataSo, now we look at competitors out there:MetroPCS - $25 per line for unlimited talk, text & web if you have 4-5 lines. (Includes all taxes and fees) Unfortunately you cannot bring your own phone to them, but still a great deal.Straight Talk - $45 per month for unlimited everything (Including unlimited 411 Calls)So, really there are choices out there, we just need to get more people switching, so that we can force the other companies into better deals.

Quote Originally Posted by stryker_tc View Post
    Pay-per-use? That's just nuts. How you could have a smartphone with no data plan? Why would you even buy a smartphone if you weren't planning on using it the way it was intended? At least AT&T makes it mandatory for its smartphones. T-Mobile is garbage...
    I have had smart phones for about 6 years now. Never had data, never needed, just a waste of money, wifi and work and wifi at home. I don't need to surf the internet while I drive, Navigon GPS does not use the internet, it is for me just a huge waste of money.

I don't get it. How did these customers use data previously? Were they just using data without being charged for it? Or did they have a previous data block on the devices that was dropped by T-Mobile and replaced with the pay per use package?

Edit: Ok, I think I get it. They didn't have a data plan at all, which meant they didn't receive data. Once T-Mobile added the pay per use, data transmittion was enabled and the phones then started doing so. Right?
    -
    yep sounds right... similar to what AT&T did but AT&T just added a data plan instead of pay per use.. i think it's wrong. I should be allowed to use a smartphone with no data if I choose to. It's not costing the carriers anything. why should I have to pay for data if I buy an iPhone off contract.

Easy many reasons:
    3. mp3 player
    4. camera.

Last edited by pichito; 11-10-2011 at 12:13 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

switch to another carrier and show t-mobile who's boss. go to Sprint, get a hero or get an iPhone and pay a little more.

http://i41.tinypic.com/24nrb79.png prepaid is the way to go! UL Text/Web/Talk for $2/day

Quote Originally Posted by Moody1 View Post
    Thats funny to hear since an iphone on T-Mobile needs to have the apn settings put in to use data. This guy must have put them in. I do not think T-Mobile would put the settings in his iPhone for him.
    I know, claim is bolony.

Default Listen to the crazy call recording for yourself!

Hey Everyone! Great Comments so far! I've read about 3 pages of them.
    What I find to be the MOST CRAZIEST (and Stupid thing) I've heard a T-Mobile Rep say to me, is that back in June, they "say" they made some change, that would CHARGE YOU for any Data you access via your OWN Wi-Fi connection!! UNBELIEVABLE! In fact, I'll share with you the actual phone call recordings here: Index of /tmobile and in the 2nd recording, listen at about time index 3:45 on. I think the rep must have just come back from a smoke break, where he was smoking something "illegal"! ;-)
    Bottom line is this, I don't want my young teenagers for example, to have full internet on their iPhones. I feel that's just being a responsible parent. They can FaceBook after school. But for T-Mobile to force my kids to have data access without my knowledge, is a joke!
    OH, WAIT! And dig this! I almost forgot! They even told me that I "had" to turn off the "Cellular Data" switch on these iPhones, even though they were going to add the "Web Block" option! Stupid! HOWEVER, the "side affect" of them wanting to "force" everyone to turn this switch off, is because every time your iPhone tries to pull email for example, the phone pops up a stupid message saying that 'Cellular Data' is off, and to turn it on! So, basically T-Mobile wants you to change your phones settings, so that you'll be harrassed every 15 minutes for example! Haha! NOT! And since putting this block on my 3 lines, I've since had this switch turned back on (so as to stop the harrassing messages), and everything is back to where it was before. Things work fine, and there's no web/data charges beging tacked on to these lines now! ;-) Buyer beware/warned!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't feel sorry for any if you suckers in a contract that are dealing with this issue! Stop relying on subsidize phones and contracts! Give the damn carriers a real reason to compete!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydance
    Originally Posted by Moody1
    Thats funny to hear since an iphone on T-Mobile needs to have the apn settings put in to use data. This guy must have put them in. I do not think T-Mobile would put the settings in his iPhone for him.

I know, claim is bolony..
    Read the whole thread - I specifically explained why one would put in the APN settings, to be able to use MMS messages (which do not go against data, but against your text messages). These APN settings need to be manually added for MMS to work on a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. So the claim is not bologna (the correct spelling of "bolony").

Quote Originally Posted by Whetto939 View Post
    Except I received neither a notice of the "feature" being added nor a message - text or otherwise - the first time I used data. So...try again?
    Last edited by noraa; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast