+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Have More Control Over Your iPhone's Backlight With ScreenDimmer

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Default [Giveaway] Have More Control Over Your iPhone's Backlight With ScreenDimmer

Ever wish that you could have more control over the brightness settings of your screen?

Sometimes the stock brightness settings just don't cut it. They're always hidden somewhere, whether it takes digging through your Settings app or digging through SBSettings to get to it. It's just never convenient. Siri won't want anything to do with changing your screen brightness either so don't ask, you might offend her. So when you want convenient screen brightness settings, what do you do?

Instead of going into your settings and manually setting your brightness, developers Yllier and Kim Streich came up with a brilliant idea. How about putting a setting in your iPhone so that the brightness automatically adjusts for a period of time? That's right. You can add a setting to make create certain screen brightness settings on a time limit. The tweak is called ScreenDimmer and it's an older tweak but it's been fully updated to work with iOS 5. Here are the settings:

So from just seeing the myriad of settings laid out to you, you can tell it's a powerful tweak. So I'll break up the sections little by little to simplify what this tweak can do.

General:
    This is the basic part of the settings that allows you to play with the main settings. Here you can enable and disable the tweak. You can enter the amount of time you want it to wait to dim the screen, or you can turn off the backlight outright. Either way, you'll be saving more battery than waiting for Apple's auto-brightness setting to dim your screen for you. In brighter locations Apple's software will automatically make the screen brighter to try and fight the surrounding light to make the screen easier to see. The same works vice-versa where the screen will automatically dim when you get into a darker location as not to cause a ton of eye-strain. While you can turn this system off completely from your Settings app, it's not necessarily the only setting that is accompanied with your LCD display. There is another setting, remember the one that automatically sends your device to the lock screen after a pre-defined period? The screen will dim, and then kick you out to the lock screen. Well Apple only gives you so many settings as to how long it takes to actually dim the screen and go to the lock screen. But have you ever been in the situation where you didn't want the device to lock? You just wanted the display to go to sleep? With ScreenDimmer, you can automatically set your dimming which will take effect when your device is idle. The screen can go to sleep without locking the device if you choose to set it that way.

Extras:
    Even while charging your device you can dim the screen. There's no point in letting the screen stay on full blown when it's charging if you're not using it; that will just make it take longer to charge since you're using the most battery-hungry part of the device while it's busy charging. ScreenDimmer can set that to dim too! From this menu, you can choose to skip the lock screen after charging and skip it after respringing. When you are installing tweaks that require a respring, sometimes the most annoying thing can be unlocking your device after each one. This setting will not work if you have a pass code though, so it keeps your device secure too; basically you can skip the lock screen totally if it is your wish to do so. The other one is locking after the USB cord is removed. You can circumvent that too.

Accelerometer:
    This is one of the coolest features. You know how Apple's settings allow you to auto-adjust brightness based on how bright your surroundings are? Well this setting allows you to automatically adjust the brightness based on accellerometer sensitivity. Put it this way; if your device is idle for a while, the screen will dim. When you pick it up again it will brighten up. You can adjust the sensitivity so that you don't accidentally brighten it when you hit your desk that your iPhone is sitting on. The last switch allows you to make sure that the device is capable of brightening back up with the accelerometer when you pick up the device again. If you leave that off, and the device dims, you'll need to brighten it up again manually.

App Specific:
    Opening certain apps toggles the brightness level. Maybe for gaming, you want the brightness up high so you can see all of the detail. Maybe for writing notes you don't need the brightness up so high. With this subsection you can customize which apps get those brightness priorities and which ones don't.

The Cydia description claims these features:
    • Longer battery life
    • Can turn the display's backlight off
    • Dims the screen after a user defined time
    • Doesn't dim the screen if the battery is being charged
    • Doesn't dim if an app needs the screen (navigagtion software, video players, )
    • Ability to exclude apps from dimming
    • Option to disalbe LockScreen right after respring/reboot
    • Option to Lock device when disconnected from the Power Source
    • Option to disable locking while device is charging/docked
    • Prevent dimming by Accelerometer
    • Undim by Accelerometer
    • Configuration interface in the Settings app

You can pick up Firewall IP in Cydia from the BigBoss repo today!

Price: $2.19
    Developers: Yllier, Kim Streich
    Version: 1.70-1
    iOS 5 Compatibility: Full
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Talking to Yllier via email, I was able to get some information on the tweak.

Anthony: What was the motivation or story behind making this tweak?
    Yllier: I was always annoyed by the few options that iOS offers for the lock time and no options for screen-dimming; so I used to have my iPhone's lock time set to 'never' and manually put my iPhone to sleep. From time to time I would forget to lock the device and the display would stay on indefinitely, sucking up all battery left.

crashX had a small tweak which modified the dim time to any value. My idea was to add some amazing features like keeping the device from dimming as long as the user moves the device. The option to turn the screen off and keep the device from locking while it is connected to the charger and so on.

Anthony: Does ScreenDimmer work with iOS 5?
    Yllier: ScreenDimmer is fully compatible with iOS 5 (starting from iOS 3.0).

Anthony: Are you planning any future updates for ScreenDimmer?
    Yllier: ScreenDimmer is quite complete, but I am willing to add features if someone has a good idea which makes sense for this kind of tweak.

The Giveaway!

Yllier was generous enough to offer FIVE copies of ScreenDimmer. Here's how to win:

Follow me @Geop0x
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @Geop0x so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "Win a copy of ScreenDimmer!"

Winners will be announced on Thursday, November 10.

Good luck to all of you! If you like ScreenDimmer, leave a comment telling us how it could be improved with your Twitter handle included in the comments to improve your chances of winning!

Sources: Yllier

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (11-10-2011)

Thanks

Hope I win again!

Mmaboi21

Thanks

Neat.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Thanks

Where's that Cydia number? :S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaaroFC View Post
    Where's that Cydia number? :S
    If you go into Manage Account from the main page of Cydia, you can connect with Facebook or Google and get your number from Cydia.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I could really use something like that!

Thanks

My friend have bought the cool thing, but there is something weird.He have to press power button twice to wake iPhone after installing this, without this it should be enough with once.I don't test it exactly, does anyone else have the same problem?https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooooooold news... iOS 2-era...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Ooooooold news... iOS 2-era...
    How is a giveaway old news? Plus, I don't think this tweak had iOS 5 support back in the days of iOS 2.

Banned
    Thanks

connect with Facebook or Google

Thanks

m,m paso I don't really need something like this

Thanks

I won! Thanks mr. Bouchard!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pagehere View Post
    connect with Facebook or Google
    I'd rather not. FaceBook and Google+ are more personal forms of social networking. Twitter is very public, on the other hand.

Thanks

you can connect with Facebook or Google and get your number from Cydia.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.