+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Get an Outgoing Firewall for iOS!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Take an outgoing firewall on the go with this amazing jailbreak package! Firewall IP is a tweak made by Yllier that let's you carry around what acts like a mobile
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] Get an Outgoing Firewall for iOS!

Take an outgoing firewall on the go with this amazing jailbreak package!

Firewall IP is a tweak made by Yllier that let's you carry around what acts like a mobile version of LittleSnitch on your iOS device. It's not new; but it has been updated to work with iOS 5! It can be used for numerous things. One idea that I thought about is that since it blocks outgoing access at your leisure, you can actually save yourself 3G data by only allowing the processes that you want to call out, call out. This tweak brings up numerous features that are as powerful as a full-blown desktop firewall, at the same time, it's lightweight and has just about no impact on battery life whatsoever.

When an app you are using attempts to call out to the internet, you will get a popup prompt with countless options to configure the connection. The first app I opened after installing Firewall IP was Mail; a popup for Mail appeared asking me what to do:

In this prompt are so many options that you might feel overwhelmed from the start; when you get used to seeing this prompt, though, you will certainly feel right at home with it. Mail uses a push notifications style of getting your email. So this means while you are sitting wherever you are tied to a 3G connection, Mail is always pulling and pushing data (unless you have push turned totally off for Mail; but that's no fun). Firewall IP will allow you to completely block Mail, completely allow Mail, allow it once, or for a duration. The duration method is very handy if your excuse is data usage. Blocking mail outright wouldn't be my recommendation, however blocking it for a duration or only allowing it to pass once would be recommended by me if you want to save data use. For now, I will allow Mail forever.

You can see from the main Window that the Firewall IP app has a blacklist and whitelist. As you would expect, the blacklist houses all of the apps that you have blocked and the whitelist houses all of the apps that you have allowed. You can manage these lists by removing certain apps from each list or moving them from one to the other. So no app that you ever block is permanently blocked since you can go back and edit it later; so don't be alarmed if you accidentally block Facebook; it's not the end of the world.

Applications can be blocked completely, globally, or internally. What does this mean? Globally: The app and all of its features will be blocked system-wide; this means if you block Facebook, for example, any other app that requires Facebook will be unable to do so. Completely: The app will not be able to connect using any outgoing or incoming connections. Internally: You can pick or choose whether it gets access to outgoing or incoming and select durations of how long it is blocked.

Firewall IP also comes with a nice list of settings within the app:

Would you look at that, "Block if not on Wi-Fi." So this firewall can ultimately save your 3G bill, but let's look beyond that for a moment. Jailbreakers hackers are able to hack iOS; they get inside and plant in their seed which installs Cydia and gives you everything that you know and love. If a jailbreak hacker can do that; so can a malicious hacker. That being said, this firewall will give you all the power to need to make sure that only the processes that you want are connecting to the internet. If there's something that you don't recognize, Firewall IP give you the option to query a 'whois' to find out what is producing the process so that you can easily decide to let it carry on or not. You can disable or enable the firewall at your leisure with that simple little switch at the top. You can delete all of your rules if you decide that you want to start over and you can log all of your firewall choices so that if you delete them by mistake you can look back and see your old settings to revert to.

What else can it do? Here's the full Cydia description:
    • Block outgoing TCP & UDP connections selectively port specific blocking.
    • Shows you the hostname for the connection & can provide you with WhoIs information.
    • Can block connections of apps when you are on a cellular network (save data!).
    • Block analytic providers / data collectors which PrivaCy can’t.
    • Block unneeded content (ads).
    • Easy to use interface & control app and many more…. FiP is very powerful.

You can pick up Firewall IP in Cydia from the BigBoss repo today!

Price: $4.49
    Developer: Yllier
    Version: 2.02
    iOS 5 Compatibility: Full
    Editor's Rating  5/5

Talking to Yllier via email, I was able to learn a little about him.

Anthony: Explain in about a paragraph or two a little about yourself. You can include how you became a developer, some aspects of your life goals, and what you are perusing in education.
    Yllier: I've been developing for the iOS platform for about two and a half years now. I've been hooked to the iPhone and jailbreaking since the iPhone 3G and shortly after that I wanted to see some of my ideas come to digital life. Thanks to some helpful devs, crashX in particular, I picked up developing for this platform very quickly and was able to release my first tweak after just a few months.

I prefer developing tweaks because it involves a bit of hacking. Finding out how a system works and how you can modify it to make it do exactly what you want is, in my opinion, often more interesting than writing an app from scratch. It needs a few additional skills which aren't needed for 'standard' development.

I'm currently studying chemistry in Munich and still don't know what to do after that. Maybe I'll end up in IT, maybe in chemistry or maybe I'll start studying a second subject.

Anthony: What gave you the idea to build this tweak? Are you planning any updates for the future? Is it compatible with iOS 5?
    Yllier: I always wanted to see what connections apps establish and where data is being send and because PrivaCy (by Saurik) isn't able to block some data aggregators I wanted to create a tweak which is able to block outgoing data connections in an easy and fast way. Oh, and being able to block ads (like admob) is a nice side effect.

As for compatibility; fully compatible with iOS 5.

Major future updates; no plans here, but if I get good suggestions for new features I'll be happy to include them.

Anthony: What else have you developed; or are planning to release in the future?
    Yllier: Paid applications mainly: AdBlocker, FullScreen for Safari, FullScreen for iPad (not ready for iOS5 yet because I only own an iPad2), Firewall iP, ScreenDimmer.

Free apps: FolderCloser, the data toggle for iOS4+ which is included in SBSettings, ShakeToUndoKiller, EnhancedTabs.

I'm currently working on a project for the Electrical Engineering Department at Princeton University which takes up a lot of my free time. But, I'm planing to release a tweak (probably shortly after the iOS5 jailbreak) which will add a few interesting features to how the device handles incoming calls and text messages.

The Giveaway!

Yllier was generous enough to offer FIVE copies of Firewall IP. Here's how to win:

Follow me @Geop0x
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet – if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @Geop0x so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "Win a copy of Firewall IP for iPhone!"

Winners will be announced on Thursday, November 10.

Good luck to all of you! If you like Firewall IP, leave a comment telling us how it could be improved with your Twitter handle included in the comments to improve your chances of winning!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-09-2011 at 04:53 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (11-10-2011), dsg (11-09-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell yea! Looks sick!

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm 'on the road' atm with a tethered jb on 5.0, I just bought a license but am worried to install because I think this might need a reboot, can anyone tell me if this needs a reboot or just a respring?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    I'm 'on the road' atm with a tethered jb on 5.0, I just bought a license but am worried to install because I think this might need a reboot, can anyone tell me if this needs a reboot or just a respring?
    Just a respring

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

mint, thankyou!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    mint, thankyou!
    Of course!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Of course!
    LOL! - This is my new favorite question as well...

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do so many of these app writers ask me to tweet ? I, for one, among many, do not tweet and I am not a twit.... It should be enough for these people that we would write something positive on ModMyI about their app and then have the creator of the app pick one positive responsethat captures the essence.
    ! I really don't get the whole tweet crap! I mean W T F.... On the + side, this DOES look like a really good app that actually serves a purpose with a lot of flexibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    Why do so many of these app writers ask me to tweet ? I, for one, among many, do not tweet and I am not a twit.... It should be enough for these people that we would write something positive on ModMyI about their app and then have the creator of the app pick one positive responsethat captures the essence.
    ! I really don't get the whole tweet crap! I mean W T F.... On the + side, this DOES look like a really good app that actually serves a purpose with a lot of flexibility.
    Make a Twitter

Thanks

Looks fantastic!

Mmaboi21

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 611 Posts

is there an incoming firewall?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    is there an incoming firewall?
    Yeah it has one of those too

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-09-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

This does look really cool. I am going to install this for the same reason the creator made it..like him, I am interested in, and have always wanted to know what my little apps are doing, which ones are making connections, and if so, who they are talking too (yes....I want to stalk my apps). Having the power to block them from connecting is just a added bonus.
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have this, and it may be worth noting that it won't work for Cyidia (where I would want it most), nor does it stop SpringBoard itself from communicating with the internet (though it claims it can). I don't think it works on background daemon processes either.
    Edit: I have never observed an inbound firewall.
    Last edited by Puka1701; 11-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have been using it for several years. It is GREAT! I highly recommend it (and also ifile).

Thanks

I've never thought that iPhone would need a firewall lol!If there is a toggle with sbsetting to control outgoing firewall, it could be more convenient.https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, that's sweet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Make a Twitter
    Not gonna happen........we don't need no stinkin' twits...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrTax View Post
    You're supposed to follow the directions not not post some random twitter