+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Current Plan" to Not Bring Siri to Older Devices, Proximity Sensor to Blame?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple will not support Siri on older devices. No reasons have been given as to why despite developers successfully porting the digital assistant to the iPhone 4 and 3GS. Michael
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Current Plan" to Not Bring Siri to Older Devices, Proximity Sensor to Blame?

Apple will not support Siri on older devices. No reasons have been given as to why despite developers successfully porting the digital assistant to the iPhone 4 and 3GS.

Michael Steeber received an email from Apple’s tech support claiming “Siri only works on the iPhone 4S and we currently have not plans to support older devices.” The “current” plan is to not support any other devices. However, plans change, and the evidence is mounting against Apple that there is no reason to not support Siri on other devices.

A number of other posts, including iFixit’s breakdown, have commented on the slightly modified proximity sensor. iFixit noticed that the new sensor has an infrared LED light that controls when Siri is activated. Whenever the LCD screen is activated on the 4S the infrared LED is shining as well, which means its ready to let Siri know when the phone gets close to the user's ear. On the iPhone 4 the proximity sensor is only activated when a call is made or received.

This explanation seems bogus though. A simple software update could go a long way to changing the way the iPhone 4’s proximity sensor works. Additionally this small limitation does not inhibit the way Siri operates in terms of accepting and executing voice commands.

Siri is still in Beta and Apple is constantly updating the digital assistant. The company at any time could change their stance and bring Siri to their older devices. There are no technological limitations preventing Apple from doing so. My guess is Apple wants to make sure their servers can handle the demand, support as many languages as possible and add another level of polish before releasing Siri to other devices.

Oh and they want people to have an additional incentive to buy the iPhone 4S.

Source: Michael Steeber, 9to5Mac

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is BS. thank the hackers, that they will bringing siri to us.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    This is BS. thank the hackers, that they will bringing siri to us.
    That is IF they release a Siri port. =|

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There is HUGE reason not to port siri. Profits. Plain and simple. Dramatically fewer people would buy a 4S if the 4 had siri too.If there was even the slightest of monetary incentives for apple to port siri to any other device, they would do it in a heartbeat. Apple isn't out there to bless the world with iproducts. They're out there to make money. Thazit

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

"Oh and they want people to have an additional incentive to buy the iPhone 4S."That's the main reason.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    There is HUGE reason not to port siri. Profits. Plain and simple. Dramatically fewer people would buy a 4S if the 4 had siri too.If there was even the slightest of monetary incentives for apple to port siri to any other device, they would do it in a heartbeat. Apple isn't out there to bless the world with iproducts. They're out there to make money. Thazit
    This totally. Oh well, I expect nothing less from Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    You are 100 per cent correct my friend.That is the only explanation. If it wasn't sheer greed, Apple would have given a reason by now. And if the devs can't release Siri port, might be the final straw for a lot of 4/3gs users. I can't believe that my iphone 4 doesn't at least have speech to text after ios5 update. Every single person I know with a droid has this option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Michael Steeber received an email from Apple’s tech support claiming “Siri only works on the iPhone 4S and we currently have not plans to support older devices.” The “current” plan is to not support any other devices. However, plans change, and the evidence is mounting against Apple that there is no reason to not support Siri on other devices.
    [/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking. They will NEVER release Siri on anything earlier than the iPhone 4S because that takes away incentive to buy the 4S. If Hackers eventually release the ability to use Siri on older devices, Apple will obviously put a stop to it because Siri has to "phone home" every time you use it - which makes it easy for Apple / Siri to block all devices that are not iPhone 4S. Plain and simply - if you want Siri, go buy an iP4S.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't mind not having siri, but they can bring voice to text (apparently they were working on it, according to some leaks). Android has this working since last year. They could at least throw is a bone and give us that. But no, that would be too much I guess.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok, first off we know that Siri can run on phones as old as an iPhone 3G (perhaps older) because it was originally in the App Store and worked quite well. Bottom line is this is an obvious marketing ploy by Apple.Now, there are other similar apps, such as Vlingo, but they obviously don't integrate nearly as well, nor do they do everything that Siri does (or even did as an App).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

Come on Apple, just give it to everyone. We already bought the iPhones.

Thanks

The inevitable thing is going to happen. Some hacker is going to figure out how to make it work, and they're going to release it to the general public. If Apple was smart, which I know they are, they would release it first, but put a price tag on it. I would pay $20 to download Siri onto my iPhone 4. I think I read somewhere that there are over 10 million iPhone 4 users out there. At $20 a pop, you know that people will pay it. That's just the iP4. Make it available for the 3Gs, iPad 1 and 2, incorporate it into MB, MBP, iMac... There are so many cards Apple can play, and for them to bank everything on getting people to upgrade to a phone that looks EXACTLY the same as the previous version, but with a slightly faster processor a better camera, and a personal assistant that will soon be released for free just isn't smart business. Just my $0.02

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Come on Apple, just give it to everyone. We already bought the iPhones.
    Maybe the problem isn't Apple.

Maybe Apple wants to port Siri on other devices, but Siri refuses to go?
    Can you blame her for having some kind of standards?

sheesh
    Last edited by raduga; 11-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Whenever the LCD screen is activated on the 4S the infrared LED is shining as well" could this have anything to do with the battery drain problem?? I'm just sayin'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p34 View Post
    I don't mind not having siri, but they can bring voice to text (apparently they were working on it, according to some leaks). Android has this working since last year. They could at least throw is a bone and give us that. But no, that would be too much I guess.
    Vlingo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The naomi View Post
    Vlingo
    I like dragon go! Better than vlingo.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Banned
    Thanks

Another reason to jailbreak.
    Hopefully someone will bring Siri to Cydia and all iPhones. Well if not Cydia still release it so we can all enjoy it.

I've seen the TV ad and I don't use the voice command as it is so I highly doubt I will use Siri anyway. I've got the Voice Activator upgrade from Cydia and still don't use it often enough to make it useful. I mainly show it off to friends and thats it.
    If you ask my iPhone "Siri" it says "Siri sucks". LOL

Thanks

Prediction: Siri will be enabled for iPhone 4 with iOS 6. By then it will be iPhone 2012 (let's just call them by years, it's easier) and Siri will have been seriously beefed up. Not to mention Siri will most definitely be on iPad 3.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

If the devs find a way to successfully port and release Siri to the general jailbreaking community Apple will have a phone call in to the lawyers as soon as its released. The postings of a ported Siri alone would let Apple know. And like somebody said earlier, Apple will know which non 4S iPhones are using because of the servers. Then there goes your warranty if you have one. It's not like you're able to restore so you can take the phone in for repair. Apple will have digital evidence proving you jailbroke your phone. Plain and simple, the lawsuit alone will stop any porting to older devices UNLESS Apple does it themselves which won't happen because of the reasons already given in above comments, revenue and a reason to go to 4S.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malevo View Post
    "Whenever the LCD screen is activated on the 4S the infrared LED is shining as well" could this have anything to do with the battery drain problem?? I'm just sayin'
    It wouldn't make a huge dent because infrared LEDs consume a fraction of a single pixel on an LCD display.