+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Mobile Demands Share of App Store Revenues in Exchange for Carrying iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
China must like Chris Matthews, cause they’re playing Hardball with Apple. China Mobile—China’s largest cell phone carrier with more than 600 million subscribers—knows they’re integral to Apple’s success in the
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default China Mobile Demands Share of App Store Revenues in Exchange for Carrying iPhone

China must like Chris Matthews, cause they’re playing Hardball with Apple.

China Mobile—China’s largest cell phone carrier with more than 600 million subscribers—knows they’re integral to Apple’s success in the region and the terms they are requesting to bring the iPhone to their network reflect it. China Mobile is requesting that they get a slice of the App Store revenue pie in exchange for carrying the phone on their network.

Apple ain't havin' it.

The two companies have been in talks to bring the phone to the worlds largest network since 2008, but nothing has ever materialized. Apple’s notorious need to control everything and their inability to budge has apparently met another entity just as stubborn, and just as important.

However, Apple in order to bring an iPhone to China Mobile’s network needs to produce a TD-SCDMA-compatible iPhone. None of the current generation iPhones are compatible with China Mobile’s 3G network. That hasn’t stopped 10 million iPhone users from using WiFi only data on China Mobile though. Apple has the time, money, and market share necessary to survive long enough to produce an iPhone 5 compatible with China Mobile’s network and in the meantime work out the terms.

Apple's iPhone will make its way to China Mobile's network eventually. The upside is too huge for Apple to ignore.

Source: All Things D

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL. Apple: "Feel free to sodomize yourself with a retractable baton."

No but really, I think that's really uproarious. China mobile is missing out if they choose not to carry it. They will succumb like the rest of the major carriers in the US have. T-mobile... you're next.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If they want to be stingy, Apple should get a cut of data charges for App store downloads, push notifications, location services, and whatever else comes off Apple's servers. That seems more reasonable than China Mobile getting profits from something they have no hand in.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's really f*ed up! I would say, make a TD-SCDMA-compatible iPhone and make no deal. Let the black market work on itself. If 10 million Chinese people got the iPhone to use it via wifi, imagine what would happen if it was a fully working phone!

What's Jailbreak?
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

I think its funny how all these companies have now started to make THEIR DEMANDS to carry the iPhone. Never seen them act that way before Job's left us. Either they grew some ball's or their testing Cook's. Hope they don't give in.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol China Mobile, stop being greedy, App Store isn't yours and you have no right to have a share of the money. Why don't Apple just sell it unlocked at the Apple Store and just cut CM out, I would. It's not as though CM own the mobile network/signals.
    Seriously why don't Apple just make a TC-SCDMA phone and sell it in China and place a micro sim cutter in stores lol.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 11-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

What's next ? China demanding a list of what users in China have downloaded "state unapproved" apps ? Or copies of all email's sent to Apple devices in China ? I'm betting that demanding a slice of app revenue pie is just the beginning.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierRican View Post
    I think its funny how all these companies have now started to make THEIR DEMANDS to carry the iPhone. Never seen them act that way before Job's left us. Either they grew some ball's or their testing Cook's. Hope they don't give in.
    Uhhh, they did this before. Why do you think Verizon didn't get the iPhone for so long? Apple offered it to them first, but Verizon wouldn't give up control.

Green Apple
    Thanks

With double the amount of cell subrscribers than all people actually living in USA I think China Mobile have an excellent bargaining position and somehow I don't think they really care if they carry an iPhone that bad...I mean who are their users going to turn to even if they don't?
    And they can ask for whatever they please, it's their right and nobody can tell them otherwise.
    The only question is how badly Apple wants a piece of that 600MM user pie and how much they are willing to give up.

I personally love the fact that someone is finally giving Apple some ****, they have been strongarming the whole world for years now and it seems that SLOWLY the tide is changing a little bit.
    Last edited by brab; 11-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Lol China Mobile, stop being greedy, App Store isn't yours and you have no right to have a share of the money. Why don't Apple just sell it unlocked at the Apple Store and just cut CM out, I would. It's not as though CM own the mobile network/signals.
    Seriously why don't Apple just make a TC-SCDMA phone and sell it in China and place a micro sim cutter in stores lol.
    Lol your claiming china is greedy...apples like the rich guy who doesn't wanna pay taxes lol

Ps china does have leverage and they know the profitable side of having the iPhone in china, they just want a cut for the large amount of profit they will be giving apple seams fair.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierRican View Post
    Was thinking the exact same thing with all these stories surfacing.

Banned
    Thanks

I'm betting that demanding a slice of app revenue pie is just the beginning.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What is difference between this news and "U.S. Cellular turned down an offer from Apple to carry the iPhone because the proposed terms were “unnacceptable” according"?The only difference is carrier and Apple switching their position. In this case, the carrier wants to get more from Apple, in other, Apple wants more money from carrier.Business is business, every company wants more profit from any single business activity.