Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
11-09-2011, 08:59 AM #1
Pod2g Warns Jailbreakers Not to Update to iOS 5.0.1
Pod2g warns jailbreakers not to update to iOS 5.0.1 due to untethered jailbreak concerns.
A few days ago, ModMyi reported that ex-Chronic Dev Team member pod2g tweeted out that he found an untether bug for iOS 5. Other than the information given above, it is unknown on how far he's gotten as well as when we can expect public release. Although he's remained MIA for the last couple of months or so, he seems to be actively keeping us updated on what's in store. Eight hours ago, he tweeted out a warning to those who want to update to iOS 5.0.1 upon release.
According to his tweet, iOS 5.0.1 will close an iOS security bug found by Charlie Miller that makes exploits dramatically easier to tackle. This would imply that a jailbreak for iOS 5.0 versus iOS 5.0.1 could come quicker. Pod2g clarified in a later tweet that it wasn't a matter of iOS 5.0.1 never being jailbreakable, it will just be more difficult and will take longer.
So for us end users, what should we do? Below is the grant scheme of things:
iOS 5.0 Users: Remain on this firmware and do not update to iOS 5.0.1. After iOS 5.0.1 releases, Apple will close the signing window for this firmware and won't allow downgrades. With SHSH not being an option anymore, you may have to wait longer for a jailbreak if you're on iOS 5.0.1.
iOS 5.0.1 Beta Users: Downgrade back to iOS 5.0. As the above, the signing window will be closed when iOS 5.0.1 is publicly released, leaving you no choice but to update up, not downgrade.
iOS 4: Hang tight. Many of you are most likely on iOS 4 still due to unlocks and baseband issues. Breaking those just to update iOS 5 would be unwise. Information as it comes will be posted to give better clarification in this regard. However, if unlocks and basebands are not an issue for you and you're able to update to iOS 5, I strongly would. Just as the above, the signing window will close when iOS 5.0.1 releases.
Ultimately, it is your decision whether to take action on what has been stated. However I would take in consideration all the factors on the table and base your decision upon your own personal situation.
Information, as it reaches the surface, will be here on ModMyi for user clarification.
Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 11-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM #2
If their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1. I'm gonna take it. Even though it's tethered. Better battery life vs untethered jailbreak(iOS 5.0)
P.s I know their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1 now. But anything can happen from beta to the final release of 5.0.1.
Last edited by mlee19841; 11-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM #3
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM #4
11-09-2011, 09:31 AM #5
yes sir, thanks for the heads up Joshua
11-09-2011, 09:36 AM #6
11-09-2011, 09:44 AM #7
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM #8
Stay on 5.0 and turn off location services... Thanks for update...... Cant wait
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM #9
11-09-2011, 09:58 AM #10
Does this mean I need to preemptively upgrade my jailbroken Ipad 2 to 5.0? Because if Apple stops signing 5.0 then I'd be forced to get 5.0.1 and it wouldn't be jailbreakable. Does Apple stop signing as soon as they release the next one or is there a few hours leway?
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM #11
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM #12
11-09-2011, 10:11 AM #13
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM #14
Two things, pod2g also said that some dev may create a package in cydia to patch the changes without the exploits from 5.0.1 (just like the isslfix and pdfpatcher available now patch the bugs in 4.3.3) also in terms of upgrading/downgrading is it not possible to simply put the phone into pwnedDFU and "restore" to any firmware wanted? (ie. 4.3.3-->5.0)
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM #15
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM #16
11-09-2011, 10:17 AM #17IPAD2 on 4.3.5 ...Upgrade???
So the people with an (IPad 2) should do what if they are on (4.3.5)?A. stay put....?B. upgrade to 5.0 before Apple releases the 5.0.1 update ...someone help me im confused lol
Last edited by kadarrius; 11-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
11-09-2011, 10:20 AM #18
Last edited by Hillefied; 11-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.
11-09-2011, 10:32 AM #19
Can't downgrade from ios 5 down to any other one the baseband will cause the phone to say unknown meid. Also iTunes won't activate the phone(Verizon)
Last edited by mlee19841; 11-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM #20I'm asking if anyone that used a 5xx beta if the battery life is fixed.