+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pod2g Warns Jailbreakers Not to Update to iOS 5.0.1

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by JedixJarf Odd, my i4 on iOS 5 has great battery life. Count yourself lucky, then. My iP4 on iOS 5 dies a quick battery death about every
    iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Odd, my i4 on iOS 5 has great battery life.
    Count yourself lucky, then. My iP4 on iOS 5 dies a quick battery death about every 24-36 hrs when I used to go ~4 days on 4.3.3. If I am at 100% at 9 am before work then by 7p I'm staring at sub-50% when most of the day the phone is on my hip unused. The same usage patterns (actually, I tether LESS now than then) but dramatically less batt life. I was hoping a forthcoming JB would include support for 5.0.1 so I could have my batt life back...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm sure this has been answered in some form, but all the baseband talk and everything is throwing me off...

I am currently jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.8...I have not updated to iOS 5 as I'm waiting for an untether (as many others are). So..would the better decision be upgrading to iOS 5 NOW, and stay unjailbroken until an untether?...or will there be a way to upgrade to iOS 5, even once 5.0.1 is released? Any help is much appreciated!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Odd, my i4 on iOS 5 has great battery life.
    Is an i4 an iPhone 4 or an iPod Touch 4G? I have the iPT 4G and my battery life is horrendous...

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hm.. People say you can't downgrade from ios5.0 without preserving basebands? Definitely not true. You can't downgrade to STOCK 4.3.3 with the 4.11.08 but I restored from ios5 with ifaith and now I'm on 4.3.3 with 4.11.08 bb. It can be done guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaddestiPod View Post
    I'm sure this has been answered in some form, but all the baseband talk and everything is throwing me off...

I am currently jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.8...I have not updated to iOS 5 as I'm waiting for an untether (as many others are). So..would the better decision be upgrading to iOS 5 NOW, and stay unjailbroken until an untether?...or will there be a way to upgrade to iOS 5, even once 5.0.1 is released? Any help is much appreciated!
    Stay on what firmware you're on, when the untethered comes out all the current methods for preserving bb while upgrading will still work, although it is not actually necessary to keep them to downgrade back to 4.x.x as I said in my other post above this I'm using the ios5 bb on 4.3.3

*edit* download 5.0 while you can and just make sure you have whatever SHSH blobs saved that you can. And not just on cydia store them on your computer too
    Last edited by theroyalwe; 11-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01grander View Post
    Does this mean I need to preemptively upgrade my jailbroken Ipad 2 to 5.0? Because if Apple stops signing 5.0 then I'd be forced to get 5.0.1 and it wouldn't be jailbreakable. Does Apple stop signing as soon as they release the next one or is there a few hours leway?
    My Thoughts exactly.
    Am still running my i4 On 4.2.1 but if I wanna update to 5.0 once an unthetherd jailbreak is released how will I be able to if apple doesn't allow me to update to 5.0 and instead forces me to update to 5.0.1??

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post

While I want an untether on iOS 5, I realize that without a way to restore to iOS 5 that jailbreak will be short lived. Everyone needs to take a step back & realize that without a way to restore, jailbreaks will be nearly impossible to hold on to.
    Exactly right. An untethered jailbreak isn't going to be much fun if you can't restore back to it after a crash. Imagine you get used to all those lovely new jailbreak tweaks on iOS 5.0 and then your iDevice gets stuck in a boot loop... Recently it seems modmyi has post after post of new jailbreaking tweaks. IMHO, they're all useless without a way to restore back to an (untethered) JB state.

Thanks

best not to ever update - what was wrong with iOS 1.0?

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 911 Posts

Just a quick question
    Ip 4s,iOS 5, my battery seems to be fine, I'd rather have a jailbreak...so do I need to have an iOS 5 download as a spare on my pc just incase (if you understand me) as I've seen that you can download ios5???
    Thanks
    Lisa

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I'm went from 5.0 to 5.0.1 beta 1 and the battery life is heaps better on my iPad1. Its also less buggy.Still it's still too buggy for my iPhone 4 so I went back to 4.3.3 also coz its unteathered and cant be out on the streets when it reboots which it did on IOS5.
    There is a thing called semijailbreak you know

Yes downgrading is possible just make sure you have your blobs saved.[/QUOTE]
    So downgrading is impossible in ios5+ right? Cause shsh blobs won't work. My question is if I upgrade to ios5.0.1(public release) would I be able to downgrade to 5.0gm since I have shsh saved thru tiny umbrella?or this is no exception?
    Last edited by Tucnepo; 11-09-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    best not to ever update - what was wrong with iOS 1.0?
    WebApps 4 ever!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

So why can't you just download the iOS 5 ipsw file onto your computer, and do a manual restore from the ipsw? ...I think there may be something I'm missing about blobs.

EDIT: I am still on 4.2.8, have not yet updated to 5. Wouldn't this be a viable option even after 5.0.1 is released, since I am waiting on an untether?
    Last edited by TheBaddestiPod; 11-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

exactly!!!!

Thanks

"grant scheme of things:" grand, not grant

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Exactly right. An untethered jailbreak isn't going to be much fun if you can't restore back to it after a crash. Imagine you get used to all those lovely new jailbreak tweaks on iOS 5.0 and then your iDevice gets stuck in a boot loop... Recently it seems modmyi has post after post of new jailbreaking tweaks. IMHO, they're all useless without a way to restore back to an (untethered) JB state.
    I honestly thought no one would acknowledge my point, I'm glad at least one other person gets it & understands the bigger picture.

With 5.0.1 right around the corner a solution to the SHSH blobs that comes sooner rather than later would be not only beneficial, but practical as well. Let's hope the Devs have something up their sleeves.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What will happen when i will require to restore my iphone on ios5 after 5.01 is released?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dying4004 View Post
    What will happen when i will require to restore my iphone on ios5 after 5.01 is released?
    As of right now you can either go back to 4.x.x if you have the blobs or you'll be forced to go to 5.0.1.

This is why a solution to the blobs situation is so important.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

I been on 4.3.3 only because everything works right, tweaks and all but I do want that ios5.. I just can't stand the tethered jailbreak I am constantly on the move and I need the whole phone to be functional all day not just some of it. The battery life has dramatically improved after installing auto3g!!!

P.s keep up the hard work on the untethered jailbreak guys. You guys are awesome..
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. If you're currently on a tethered iOS 5 jailbreak through sn0wbreeze with preserved baseband 01.59.00, do I have to revert back to IOS 4 firmware or can I just rerun another custom iOS 5 to get the untethered jailbreak when it comes out?

Let me know. I'd appreciate it!
    Last edited by JORDAN™; 11-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadarrius View Post
    So the people with an (IPad 2) should do what if they are on (4.3.5)?A. stay put....?B. upgrade to 5.0 before Apple releases the 5.0.1 update ...someone help me im confused lol
    Update to 5.0 cuz there r no blobs saved for ups 5 and after 5.0.1 comes out 5.0 will no longer be signed to downgrade later. (assuming untethered jb) anyway

Quote Originally Posted by JORDAN™ View Post
    Hopefully someone can answer this for me. If you're currently on a tethered iOS 5 jailbreak through sn0wbreeze with preserved baseband 01.59.00, do I have to revert back to IOS 4 firmware or can I just rerun another custom iOS 5 to get the untethered jailbreak when it comes out?

Let me know. I'd appreciate it!
    I would stay and wait patient for the untether version to preserve the rare baseband.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 11-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks

i have an iphone4 working on 4.1 and it is jailbreaked by limera1n and unlocked by gevey sim..so i wanted to know whether i will be able to upgrade my ios to 5 or do i have to wait...i badly wanted to upgrade to 5 as it has really good features.....pls suggest me what to do....thanks in advance