Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM #21
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM #22
2 questions if i have the my SHSH blobs saved whats the best way to get to iOS 5 if i am on tethered 4.3.5 because i don't want to upgrade before knowing what i need to save? Second one is if i get to iOS 5 and find it too annoying because of the battery life issue can i downgrade back to iOS 4.3.5 and then upgrade to 5.0.1 when it is safe to JB it or would that be pointless??
11-09-2011, 12:16 PM #23
I'm convinced apple is more concerned with control than they are with quality control. It seems like they want to be rid of jb more than they want to resolve the issues with the new phone. I'm staying with 4.3.3 until untethered is a fact
11-09-2011, 12:17 PM #24
I think apple does this on purpose so that when a jailbreak emerges they close it up on the update fix.
11-09-2011, 12:18 PM #25
Josh, do you know if this exploit works on the 4S?
11-09-2011, 12:48 PM #26
Well, thank you for the heads up. Those are valid points, but:
1) It seems that pod2g might be using Charlie Miller's exploit but it's not clear that the dev team or chronic dev team are using the same exploit. PS: It would probably be a good idea for all teams to get together and decide to use only one exploit for each one of the tools for the first iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.
2) I am not sure but I believe you can still upgrade to iOS 5 preserving iPhone 4 baseband allowing you to downgrade to 4.X. Has anyone successfuly jailbroken iOS 5 on iPhone 4 preserving baseband? (on baseband 01.59.00, for instance)
3) Once on iOS 5, can you prevent it from automatically do OTA upgrades?
4) I am waiting for iOS 5 jailbreak to be announced before purchasing the iPhone 4S but if the jailbreak for 5.0.1 is going to be delayed further, I should probably buy the 4S before it comes with 5.0.1 pre-installed.
5) Did any of the jailbreak developers mention they have been working on a new method of downgrading after iOS 5? As everyone knows, the old method of saving SHSH blobs will not work anymore on iOS 5. I would hate to have something happen to my phone and not be able to restore to an older iOS version and consequently not be able to jailbreak it. It would be a big hassle having to wait for a new version of the OS to be jailbreakable.
Last edited by perealb; 11-09-2011 at 12:59 PM.
11-09-2011, 12:50 PM #27
So I need to upgrade now with sn0wbreeze to preserve my baseband and what happend when the untethered jalbreak come?
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM #28
Also those who buggin about battery life. They can add the battery life fix from 5.01 into the 5.0 untethered JB or as a cydia tweak. it's not like it hasn't been done before. As far as I'm concerned serves all of right for being so jumpy to get your precious 4S.
11-09-2011, 01:40 PM #29
I restored my friends iPhone 4 while preserving the baseband and jailbroken on ios5.0.0 but a couple days later her phone crashed. Then I did a regular restore and lost the unlock(she don't need it). So I'm not sure if it works.
As for the shsh blobs i think I have 5.0 gm stored via tiny umbrella. Is downgrading possible in this case?
11-09-2011, 02:10 PM #30
11-09-2011, 02:12 PM #31
To save my battery fix was to turn off iCloud everything else was fine
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM #32
So will any of this matter to iPhone 4S users?
11-09-2011, 02:17 PM #33
11-09-2011, 02:25 PM #34
11-09-2011, 02:28 PM #35
11-09-2011, 02:40 PM #36
The bottom line is this, those clamoring for a Jailbreak should instead be clamoring for a new way to back up SHSH blobs because without those blobs a jailbreak is merely a fleeting achievement.
While I want an untether on iOS 5, I realize that without a way to restore to iOS 5 that jailbreak will be short lived. Everyone needs to take a step back & realize that without a way to restore, jailbreaks will be nearly impossible to hold on to.
Good luck to all the devs, but I hope 2 things:
1. I hope all the devs are talking with one another to ensure no exploit is wasted.
2. That they're priority is with fixing the blob situation because without a fix these boards & places across the Internet will be flooded with demands to Jailbreak every single firmware that comes out.
I know some may not like my post but I'm just being logical.
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM #37
11-09-2011, 03:00 PM #38
Last edited by iPod; 11-09-2011 at 03:03 PM.
secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM #39
11-09-2011, 03:31 PM #40
I'm went from 5.0 to 5.0.1 beta 1 and the battery life is heaps better on my iPad1. Its also less buggy.Still it's still too buggy for my iPhone 4 so I went back to 4.3.3 also coz its unteathered and cant be out on the streets when it reboots which it did on IOS5.