+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pod2g Warns Jailbreakers Not to Update to iOS 5.0.1

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by kadarrius So the people with an (IPad 2) should do what if they are on (4.3.5)?A. stay put....?B. upgrade to 5.0 before Apple releases the 5.0.1 update
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadarrius View Post
    So the people with an (IPad 2) should do what if they are on (4.3.5)?A. stay put....?B. upgrade to 5.0 before Apple releases the 5.0.1 update ...someone help me im confused lol
    You might as well upgrade since there isn't a jailbreak for 4.3.5.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

2 questions if i have the my SHSH blobs saved whats the best way to get to iOS 5 if i am on tethered 4.3.5 because i don't want to upgrade before knowing what i need to save? Second one is if i get to iOS 5 and find it too annoying because of the battery life issue can i downgrade back to iOS 4.3.5 and then upgrade to 5.0.1 when it is safe to JB it or would that be pointless??

What's Jailbreak? Fidlisskbarned's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm convinced apple is more concerned with control than they are with quality control. It seems like they want to be rid of jb more than they want to resolve the issues with the new phone. I'm staying with 4.3.3 until untethered is a fact

Thanks

I think apple does this on purpose so that when a jailbreak emerges they close it up on the update fix.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Josh, do you know if this exploit works on the 4S?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, thank you for the heads up. Those are valid points, but:

1) It seems that pod2g might be using Charlie Miller's exploit but it's not clear that the dev team or chronic dev team are using the same exploit. PS: It would probably be a good idea for all teams to get together and decide to use only one exploit for each one of the tools for the first iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.

2) I am not sure but I believe you can still upgrade to iOS 5 preserving iPhone 4 baseband allowing you to downgrade to 4.X. Has anyone successfuly jailbroken iOS 5 on iPhone 4 preserving baseband? (on baseband 01.59.00, for instance)

3) Once on iOS 5, can you prevent it from automatically do OTA upgrades?

4) I am waiting for iOS 5 jailbreak to be announced before purchasing the iPhone 4S but if the jailbreak for 5.0.1 is going to be delayed further, I should probably buy the 4S before it comes with 5.0.1 pre-installed.

5) Did any of the jailbreak developers mention they have been working on a new method of downgrading after iOS 5? As everyone knows, the old method of saving SHSH blobs will not work anymore on iOS 5. I would hate to have something happen to my phone and not be able to restore to an older iOS version and consequently not be able to jailbreak it. It would be a big hassle having to wait for a new version of the OS to be jailbreakable.
    Last edited by perealb; 11-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I need to upgrade now with sn0wbreeze to preserve my baseband and what happend when the untethered jalbreak come?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fidlisskbarned View Post
    I'm convinced apple is more concerned with control than they are with quality control. It seems like they want to be rid of jb more than they want to resolve the issues with the new phone. I'm staying with 4.3.3 until untethered is a fact
    +100

Also those who buggin about battery life. They can add the battery life fix from 5.01 into the 5.0 untethered JB or as a cydia tweak. it's not like it hasn't been done before. As far as I'm concerned serves all of right for being so jumpy to get your precious 4S.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

I restored my friends iPhone 4 while preserving the baseband and jailbroken on ios5.0.0 but a couple days later her phone crashed. Then I did a regular restore and lost the unlock(she don't need it). So I'm not sure if it works.
    As for the shsh blobs i think I have 5.0 gm stored via tiny umbrella. Is downgrading possible in this case?

Thanks

I hate the apple signing window. More crap to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    I restored my friends iPhone 4 while preserving the baseband and jailbroken on ios5.0.0 but a couple days later her phone crashed. Then I did a regular restore and lost the unlock(she don't need it). So I'm not sure if it works.
    As for the shsh blobs i think I have 5.0 gm stored via tiny umbrella. Is downgrading possible in this case?
    Yes downgrading is possible just make sure you have your blobs saved.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

To save my battery fix was to turn off iCloud everything else was fine

Thanks

So will any of this matter to iPhone 4S users?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    If their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1. I'm gonna take it. Even though it's tethered. Better battery life vs untethered jailbreak(iOS 5.0)

P.s I know their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1 now. But anything can happen from beta to the final release of 5.0.1.
    r u saying theres an untethered jailbreak for ios5??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    If their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1. I'm gonna take it. Even though it's tethered. Better battery life vs untethered jailbreak(iOS 5.0)

P.s I know their is a jailbreak for 5.0.1 now. But anything can happen from beta to the final release of 5.0.1.
    same here!!!
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Josh, do you know if this exploit works on the 4S?
    It is not known, however I presume yes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

The bottom line is this, those clamoring for a Jailbreak should instead be clamoring for a new way to back up SHSH blobs because without those blobs a jailbreak is merely a fleeting achievement.

While I want an untether on iOS 5, I realize that without a way to restore to iOS 5 that jailbreak will be short lived. Everyone needs to take a step back & realize that without a way to restore, jailbreaks will be nearly impossible to hold on to.

Good luck to all the devs, but I hope 2 things:

1. I hope all the devs are talking with one another to ensure no exploit is wasted.

2. That they're priority is with fixing the blob situation because without a fix these boards & places across the Internet will be flooded with demands to Jailbreak every single firmware that comes out.

I know some may not like my post but I'm just being logical.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smuj29 View Post
    Stay on 5.0 and turn off location services... Thanks for update...... Cant wait
    Man, it's works for me. So 5.0 jb, bring it on.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01grander View Post
    Does this mean I need to preemptively upgrade my jailbroken Ipad 2 to 5.0? Because if Apple stops signing 5.0 then I'd be forced to get 5.0.1 and it wouldn't be jailbreakable. Does Apple stop signing as soon as they release the next one or is there a few hours leway?
    I would go do a google search for the ipsw file for iOS 5 for the iPad 2, and have that available to restore to, so that you wont have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by kadarrius View Post
    So the people with an (IPad 2) should do what if they are on (4.3.5)?A. stay put....?B. upgrade to 5.0 before Apple releases the 5.0.1 update ...someone help me im confused lol
    Download the ipsw file, but don't restore yet, this way you will not be forced to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1. But if you don't have a jailbreak anyways since you are on iOS 4.3.5, I would go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Odd, my i4 on iOS 5 has great battery life.
    It's the iPhone 4S that's suffering the battery issue. Not the other devices
    Last edited by iPod; 11-09-2011 at 02:03 PM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone laurence0609's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Odd, my i4 on iOS 5 has great battery life.
    +1, never have any issue with battery life since updating to iOS 5

Banned
    Thanks

I'm went from 5.0 to 5.0.1 beta 1 and the battery life is heaps better on my iPad1. Its also less buggy.Still it's still too buggy for my iPhone 4 so I went back to 4.3.3 also coz its unteathered and cant be out on the streets when it reboots which it did on IOS5.