+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schmidt Claims Android Efforts Started Before The iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It was previously stated in Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson that Jobs believed Android was blatantly copying Apple’s innovations. The following quote can be found in the biography regarding
    Thanks

Default Schmidt Claims Android Efforts Started Before The iPhone

It was previously stated in Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson that Jobs believed Android was blatantly copying Apple’s innovations. The following quote can be found in the biography regarding Jobs’ opinion on the matter:

Our lawsuit is saying, “Google, you ******* ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off.” Grand theft. I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go to thermonuclear war on this. They are scared to death, because they know they are guilty. Outside of Search, Google’s products—Android, Google Docs—are ****.
    According to the Winnipeg Free Press, Google’s Eric Schmidt recently attended a press conference in South Korea where he was asked his opinion on Steve Jobs’ claims that Android is a “stolen product” and his vow to “destroy Android.” Schmidt referred to Jobs as a “fantastic human being” mentioning that he is still “very sad and recovering from the sense of loss.” He ended up saying the following regarding the Jobs’ claims of Google ripping off the iPhone’s key features in the Android platform:

I decided not to comment on comments that are written in the book after his death. I don’t think it’s right…Most people would agree that Google is a great innovator, and I would also point out that the Android efforts started before the iPhone efforts. And that’s all I have to say.
    Some quick facts regarding the topic, Google purchased Android from Andy Rubin in 2005 but it is likely that the development of the original iPhone began long before the 2007 unveiling. It should also be noted that the Android platform seemed to change from a more Blackberry-like device to a more touch centric device around the time the iPhone was released. This could just be a coincidence or it could be that Google saw the iPhone and decided that it was headed in the right direction, therefore Google had to hop the bandwagon.

Either way, considering that the Android platform and the iOS platform are the most dominant forces in the smartphone market, it is expected that they would not get along. I personally do feel that Android phones seem to gain certain features after they first appear on the iOS platform. Furthermore, it seems that the iOS platform seems to have more innovative ideas more often out of the two (ie. a mainstream voice assistant, like Siri). Just because I feel this way, doesn’t exactly make it true though, I have a biased point of view as I love to use my iPhone even when given the option to use an Android phone. On that note, I do think that Schmidt handled the situation in a professional and mature manner. How do you feel about the issue? Share any thoughts below!

Source: Winnipeg Free Press
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-08-2011 at 02:49 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Eh, my Treo 600 had a touchscreen, it was pretty obvious that technology was headed that direction.I do like that this article talks about how the Google owned Android was 2005, but it does fail to mention that Andy Ruben & co. had been working on the OS as early as 2003.I love all three of the "mainstream" mobile OS' out on the market currently. They all provide a different user experience, and I love what the competition has done to improve the devices/OS' for the end user. As a consumer I'm excited about the competition, and hope that MS can get a stronger foothold in the market to drive innovation even faster than it currently is. The pace is only good for us.

Thanks

What came first the chicken or the egg? Who cares!!!! android or apple it's all preference people will choose what they want to use and most don't really care which was first. Just my opinion not worth anything.

Thanks

Every company out there is going to try to take credit for mainstreaming touch based phones. I highly highly highly doubt there will ever be someone that will be able to prove one way or another. Instead of trying to prove who thought of what first, these companies should be considering the future. iOS will remain on top for only so long, and Apple has the power to keep it there for as long as they can keep it relevant. Innovation is key, how do you top what is already out? Obviously my bias is showing, but there is truth to what I am saying.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    ...iOS will remain on top for only so long, and Apple has the power to keep it there for as long as they can keep it relevant....
    Erm..... as of Q3 2011, Android held 43% of the smartphone marketshare according to the Nielson ratings posted somewhat recently.

Source
    Schmidt Claims Android Efforts Started Before The iPhone-android-use.jpg

Green Apple
    Thanks

No one here can really say they knew when Apple started to develop the iphone so the whole response of apple or google starting development first doesn't really hold any weight. Also, Apple has definitely taken things from the Android platform (status bar notification in iOS5). I also think that google guy handled the response in a mature manner compared to Steve Jobs' rant. Hella respect for Jobs in the innovation department but he took that a little too far. He said what he needed to say without declaring war or using words that turn to asterisks when quoted in a public forum.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I personally do feel that Android phones seem to gain certain features after they first appear on the iOS platform.
    Just the kind of uninformed comment that would be said by iOS fanboy writers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funstuff234 View Post
    Uhhhhhhhh-gree! +4789723835471023-74237treydbchneiortu23vyunt8cy78674eyhnd

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Before anyone point out difference of Treo 600 (which I also own loooong time ago) uses stylus and iPhone is touch screen, you need to search LG Prada which came out before iPhone with touch screen. If anything Apple stole LG's design.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funstuff234 View Post
    Um hello you do know what this site is about right

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    Um hello you do know what this site is about right
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Before anyone point out difference of Treo 600 (which I also own loooong time ago) uses stylus and iPhone is touch screen, you need to search LG Prada which came out before iPhone with touch screen. If anything Apple stole LG's design.
    Nobody "stole" touch screen. by that logic, any phone made with a camera is also stealing. It's a technology that apple actually changed a bit since it uses capacitive touch screens as oppsed to the crappy and unresponsive Prada touch screen.
    Last edited by redline11786; 11-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redline11786 View Post
    Nobody "stole" touch screen. by that logic, any phone made with a camera is also stealing. It's a technology that apple actually changed a bit since it uses capacitive touch screens as oppsed to the crappy and unresponsive Prada touch screen.
    I was just nipping the "iPhone had a touchscreen before any other devices!" argument in the bud before it happened. I knew it would come up sometime when comparing Apple and Google mobile devices.

p.s. You could use the touchscreen on a Treo w/o a stylus, it just sucked. (But I had icons damnit!)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I could care less. All that I like is the fact that there is competitive competition making the devices better and better each year with new improvements.

Thanks

Let's put it into perspective this way... The first working model of iOS being used in todays iPhones and iPads was developed in 1987 and incorporated into Apple's Newton device. A device that was WAY ahead of it's time and around 17 years or so before Google even began it's exsitance....
    Schmidt Claims Android Efforts Started Before The iPhone-apple-newton.jpg
    Last edited by Herculeis; 11-08-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is bullSchmidt!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nobody ever talk about the most important things of iphone vs android: the price. Let's assume that android the marketshare is higher (43% or whatever) is right/accurate ,the question is; are they sold in the same price? What will be happened to the marketshare if android higher the price or iphone lower the price to the price level?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple Newton died as a device so hard to claim that as a model of Apple success, besides the Newton required a stylus, the Palm devices during the same time were equal in function with monochrome grey then color screens - did Apple ever market a color screen Newton? I don't know who gets credit and really who cares. The point has been made the market and design forces were developing toward a touch device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prybar View Post
    lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotman View Post
    Nobody ever talk about the most important things of iphone vs android: the price. Let's assume that android the marketshare is higher (43% or whatever) is right/accurate ,the question is; are they sold in the same price? What will be happened to the marketshare if android higher the price or iphone lower the price to the price level?
    Is this even relevant when you can get an iPhone 3GS for free from AT&T? Android devices run from free to $299ish, and iPhones run from free to $399.