+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone Case Adds Dual SIM Capability

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The makers of Peel—the iPhone universal remote conversion package—have nearly completed work on the Vooma Peel PG92, a case that gives iPhone users an extended battery and dual-SIM capabilities. The
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New iPhone Case Adds Dual SIM Capability

The makers of Peel—the iPhone universal remote conversion package—have nearly completed work on the Vooma Peel PG92, a case that gives iPhone users an extended battery and dual-SIM capabilities.

The case adds a considerable amount of size to the iPhone, but nothing worse than the average Otter Box offering and most of it is due to the dock connector and additional battery. The real magic begins when another SIM is installed in the case and users download the Vooma app.

It is worth noting that the Vooma app will only work on Jailbroken iPhone 4s and 4Ss. The app emulates the iPhones own phone application and allows users to make calls using the second SIM card installed in the case. Users can make calls from two different SIM cards on the same iPhone, effectively unlocking the device.

For those who travel frequently and utilize prepaid SIMs this case should prove invaluable. The added battery life from the additional battery pack is a nice bonus as well. Don’t expect to see Peel’s new dual-sim case to show up in Apple Stores like their Peel universal remote solution though. Everything this case and the App do is very non-Apple and AT&T compliant.

That said, the sooner the case and its accompanying app get out of pre-release the better for those frustrated by Verizon and Sprint iPhones inability to work internationally without paying ridiculous international rates.

* Sprint will allow iPhone 4 and 4S owners in good standing to remove their SIM card and use prepaid international SIMs if they call and ask permission*

Source: TechCrunch
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No permission needed with Sprint on current iPhone 4S. They are already unlocked. Tried my German micro SIM and switched right over. No restart or configuring required.

Green Apple
    Thanks

awww yeah

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder2005 View Post
    No permission needed with Sprint on current iPhone 4S. They are already unlocked. Tried my German micro SIM and switched right over. No restart or configuring required.
    I've tried it with my girlfriend's Sprint iPhone and been able to make phone calls as well. However, talking with Sprint reps and referring to Sprint's previous comments on the matter, the company maintains that the Phones will lock at some time and users will need to call Sprint and receive permission to use the phones off network.

Maybe that day will never come....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Neat-looking device! Thanks for sharing this info. Anybody know if this will allow you to receive calls on either SIM?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder2005 View Post
    how about verizon 4s? anyone know it is unlocked or they going to unlock my device if i call later on?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Looks like this only adds a dumbed-down cellphone - no data. I think I've been able to build myself a better device than this. I just glued my old Nokia 6100 to the back of my iPhone 4S with some expoxy resin. It looks a bit clunky, but no bulkier than the Ballistic HC case. Now my battery lasts longer (because I can use the Nokia to make a few calls) and my iPhone 4S is now unlocked. Joy

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    I've tried it with my girlfriend's Sprint iPhone and been able to make phone calls as well. However, talking with Sprint reps and referring to Sprint's previous comments on the matter, the company maintains that the Phones will lock at some time and users will need to call Sprint and receive permission to use the phones off network.

Maybe that day will never come....
    Unless something has changed, a factory unlocked iPhone cannot be locked or re-locked.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Banned
    Thanks

However, talking with Sprint reps and referring to Sprint's previous comments on the matter

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Looks like this only adds a dumbed-down cellphone - no data. I think I've been able to build myself a better device than this. I just glued my old Nokia 6100 to the back of my iPhone 4S with some expoxy resin. It looks a bit clunky, but no bulkier than the Ballistic HC case. Now my battery lasts longer (because I can use the Nokia to make a few calls) and my iPhone 4S is now unlocked. Joy
    Dude that's hilarious.

Dude
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Emulating the phone app? Where would one start to look to make things like that? I would like to emulate the iPod app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chityuulay View Post
    how about verizon 4s? anyone know it is unlocked or they going to unlock my device if i call later on?
    Verizon doesn't have a sim card. It uses CDMA.