Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Consumer Reports and Apple Kiss and Make Up in iPhone 4S Recommendation

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default Consumer Reports and Apple Kiss and Make Up in iPhone 4S Recommendation


    Last year, Consumer Reports famously condemned and correspondingly withdrew its recommendation of the iPhone 4 due to the antenna issues that came to be known as the "Death Grip" phenomenon. The venerable publication's firm disapproval of the device and criticisms for Apple's handling of the problem garnered widespread global media attention.

    As you may have noticed, however, Consumer Reports didn't really impact sales of the iPhone 4 in any tangible or negative fashion.

    But, alas, Consumer Reports has once again welcomed Apple into its good graces. On Tuesday, Consumer Reports formally announced that it is, indeed, recommending the iPhone 4S to readers. The reason? According to the magazine, the iPhone 4S isn't afflicted with the same ailing antenna issues of the previous model.

    "Apple’s newest smart phone performed very well in our tests," the report reads, "and while it closely resembles the iPhone 4 in appearance, it doesn’t suffer the reception problem we found in its predecessor in special tests in our labs."

    The Apple iPhone 4S did very well in our standard tests of battery life; like the iPhone 4, it scores Very Good overall on that attribute. And the iPhone 4S and new samples of the iPhone 4 have displayed no notable battery problems in additional special tests we carried out, after some owners complained on user forums of short run times with some samples of both phones.
    Despite all the improvements the iPhone 4S logs over the previous model, Consumer Reports says these pluses were still not enough "to allow the iPhone 4S to outscore the best new Android-based phones in our Ratings." Among the top scorers are the Samsung Galaxy S II phones, the Motorola Droid Bionic, and other smartphones that deliver larger displays and run on faster 4G networks.

    Source: Consumer Reports

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    I don't think consumer reports matter one bit in terms of people's decision to buy these devices. They can say what they want. Even with the antenna problem the phone become the best selling device on the market. Its successor, the 4S, looks to be well on track to beat it (as likely will the 4S's successor after that). The antenna thing was an (minor) annoyance, but nothing I would toss aside a phone for.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,637
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

    Consumer Reports lost all credibility with me 1 year ago.

    If I wanted electronic recommendations, I'll ask the stars and maybe try a Ouija Board before I asked Consumer Reports.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 72 Posts

    uhhhh, Consumer Reports is read by a lot of people. You know someone did take Consumer Reports negative report into account on purchases, can you positively say that they have no effect simply because the sales of iPhone 4 was very good? Maybe with Consumer Reports recommendations they would do even better!Consumer Reports do have tons of subscriber, so their opinion matters. Do you think Apple would fix the "Death Grip" issue without them? Maybe, not so sure because Jobs refuse to acknowledge this when iPhone4 came out. During the press conference Jobs actually tried to make it like other manufacturer have the same exact problem.

  5. #5
    I think it any good report is going to help.. but in the case of iPhones.. most people have their mind made up if they want one or not.. then it usually comes down to if their plan is ready for an upgrade.

  6. #6
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    uhhhh, Consumer Reports is read by a lot of people. You know someone did take Consumer Reports negative report into account on purchases, can you positively say that they have no effect simply because the sales of iPhone 4 was very good? Maybe with Consumer Reports recommendations they would do even better!Consumer Reports do have tons of subscriber, so their opinion matters. Do you think Apple would fix the "Death Grip" issue without them? Maybe, not so sure because Jobs refuse to acknowledge this when iPhone4 came out. During the press conference Jobs actually tried to make it like other manufacturer have the same exact problem.
    They never fixed the death grip...

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    They never fixed the death grip...
    I'm sorry my bad, but it only shows how well Apple cloud things up to cover their butts.
    It is Antennagate, the bridging of the antennas cause drop in signal and drop calls.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Some of you guys make me laugh. so consumer reports rates your favorite toy below others and you say CR has no credibility or that their opinion don't matter?!?! decades of experience, thousands of products and millions of readers disagree with you and your obsession over a cellphone.

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,637
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

    Well some of you Trolls make me laugh. I have an iPhone 4. The so called 'death grip' affects me in no way at all. Yet they say they wouldn't recommended it because of it?! This iPhone is easily the best thing I've ever used and they wouldn't recommended it. That's why they lost credibility with me. It's like a games magazine highly recommending a bad game, you wouldn't trust their judgement after that. Everyone has their own opinions but if a so called 'advice group' gives bad advice you wouldn't trust them again.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Some of you guys make me laugh. so consumer reports rates your favorite toy below others and you say CR has no credibility or that their opinion don't matter?!?! decades of experience, thousands of products and millions of readers disagree with you and your obsession over a cellphone.
    I see where you're coming from, but I've never considered CR to be that credible of a source. I too hate fan boys from both sides of the apple/android spectrum and its just comical to me that people base their opinions on expensive products just because they feel a need to stay loyal to any particular company...But anyway, I usually end up disagreeing with CR's reviews once I've tried the product out for myself for a few days. I relied on CR results several times and ended up totally dissatisfied. I've always been a firm believer in the trusty ol' 30 day return policy. dont listen to what other people say is the right product for you, find out for yourself and try it out.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by redline11786 View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but I've never considered CR to be that credible of a source. I too hate fan boys from both sides of the apple/android spectrum and its just comical to me that people base their opinions on expensive products just because they feel a need to stay loyal to any particular company...But anyway, I usually end up disagreeing with CR's reviews once I've tried the product out for myself for a few days. I relied on CR results several times and ended up totally dissatisfied. I've always been a firm believer in the trusty ol' 30 day return policy. dont listen to what other people say is the right product for you, find out for yourself and try it out.
    Well-said.

  12. #12
    Maybe with Consumer Reports recommendations they would do even better!Consumer Reports do have tons of subscriber, so their opinion matters

  13. #13
    NEVER had reception problems with ether the 4 or 4s, bunch of bs.

  14. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Consumer Reports lost all credibility with me 1 year ago.

    If I wanted electronic recommendations, I'll ask the stars and maybe try a Ouija Board before I asked Consumer Reports.
    Lol! +1!!

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 72 Posts

    Apple and Jobs lost credibility with me when they tried to skew the antennagate with deathgrip issue together, tried to make it like all other phones have same problem when in fact it was antenna design problem which they refuse to fix. If it was deathgrip problem like all other phones Jobs shown, then adding a bumper would not "fix" the issue. By saying the phone was displaying more reception than it was suppose to, they basically admit that previous gen had less reception than it should and further cloud the fact antennagate problem.
    Consumer Reports gained credibility from the rating of iPhone4 what they did and said about Apple iPhone 4 with scientific proof to back it up, and not afraid of the big company with vindictive executive Jobs sitting at the head of it.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •