+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Get a Pocket-Sized Projector for Your iPhone 4/4S Compliments of Texas Instruments

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This battery-case-sized projector case allows you to project your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S's screen. Sometimes, trying to show your friends pictures or videos from an angle just makes sharing
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Get a Pocket-Sized Projector for Your iPhone 4/4S Compliments of Texas Instruments

This battery-case-sized projector case allows you to project your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S's screen.

Sometimes, trying to show your friends pictures or videos from an angle just makes sharing memories hard. Sometimes watching videos on the small iPhone 4/4S screen just doesn't but it. When you are unsatisfied with those results, Texas Instruments comes out with a solution that allows you to project your iPhone 4/4S screen onto a wall or surface of your choice. The projector is part of a case that is similar in style and size to an iPhone 4 battery extension case. If you've used one before, you know that they can be pretty thick, although they do offer some pluses. This projector case allows for projections at the iPhone 4/4S's screen at up to 50 inches with a resolution of 640x360. Not too shabby for a mobile projector.

The projector can be used to maximize the view of a movie that you download from iTunes, increase the viewing pleasure of a funny YouTube video, or increase the size of a photo that you want to show your friend. It's compatible with the whole system, so you could even use it as a 'screen mirroring' technique even though there's no screen to be spoken about. You could use this to demonstrate how to do something to your friend who is right next to you without having them breathe down your shoulder. Or you could use it to give a mobile Keynote presentation from the $9.99 Keynote app that Apple has in the App Store. The projector is battery operated and requires being charged via a USB cable. The projector includes a built in speaker to increase the sound quality of the speaker built into the iPhone 4/4S. According to MacWorld, "The internal speaker doesn't play very loud" but if you're keen on good sound quality you have the option to connect 3.5mm (the standard headphone jack) speakers to the iPhone for better sound quality.

Not only does it work as a projector, but if you are running low on iPhone battery, the battery in the projector will charge your iPhone 4/4S. I'm not sure how that will work with the projector itself, I mean out of common sense, if the projector is actively charging the iPhone then it seems like it would die pretty quickly. But I guess I'll let the product speak for itself!

Something of this nature doesn't come without it's flaws. For one, the case is pretty thick. While still small and compact, it is in between 2-3x the depth of the stock iPhone 4/4S. The projector only works well in a dark location as the light will make the projection hard to impossible to see. This is the case with most projectors anyway. The fact that it operates from its own battery is a plus in that it won't drain the iPhone's battery, but it could become inconvenient if it dies as it doesn't have the option to use the iPhone's battery if it dies in the middle of a movie or something of that nature.

Looks cool, how can I get one?
    You can pre-order the iPhone 4/4S projector here.

Manufacturer: Texas Instruments (T.I.)
    Cost: $229.99
    Rating: / 3.5/5

What do you think of the Texas Instruments iPhone 4/4S projector? Share in the comments below!

Sources: MacWorld

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm. Seems interesting. But I've been using a pico mini projector with my iPhone for the past year, & I'm happy with it.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Once again, iPod touch is left out...lol

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol I built a projector for my iPhone 4s for under $50 and it is even smaller.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That looks pretty sweet! I would definitely find many, many uses for it... perhaps projecting a movie on the "seat-back tray table" of a plane seat, using headphones for sound of course, to increase your viewing size during a long flight!? That would be awesome in my book! Very nice job, TI... Ya done good!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
    Lol I built a projector for my iPhone 4s for under $50 and it is even smaller.
    Please share with us, I would like to know.

Thanks in advance

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

I can get three brand new battery pack with that much???

Thanks

That would be awesome in my book! Very nice
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.

Thanks

Can't order outside of the USA though. Looks interesting....

zma
    Thanks

I will order one but is available now ?

Thanks

That was amazing. I'm tempted to buy one.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    I can get three brand new battery pack with that much???
    It's a pocket projector that also happens to be able to charge your iPhone. It's not a battery pack...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a lot of keesh! Pretty cool though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    looks cool, design is fairly nice looking but 12 lumens is NOT enough for the price tag. I'd rather go with a pico or micro projector from AAXA Technologies, 3m, Optoma, or whoever else makes them and get at least 30-50 lumens. I have the aaxa p4 and its 80 lumens. Its not as small, doesnt attach to the phone like a battery pack, but the image quality is much greater.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to aquaberry For This Useful Post:

raduga (11-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquaberry View Post
    looks cool, design is fairly nice looking but 12 lumens is NOT enough for the price tag. I'd rather go with a pico or micro projector from AAXA Technologies, 3m, Optoma, or whoever else makes them and get at least 30-50 lumens. I have the aaxa p4 and its 80 lumens. Its not as small, doesnt attach to the phone like a battery pack, but the image quality is much greater.
    $229 is not so bad. It may be underpowered, but ~200 is close to the basement, and I'd be surprised if you could find an iPhone-case-projector less than that.

TI does claim 15 lumens but that's not much of an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The projector only works well in a dark location as the light will make the projection hard to impossible to see.
    @ 15 lumens:

it should work "well" in complete darkness at a range of < 5'.

I'd say "mediocre" at 8'.

In a typical dark room (with low-to-moderate light interference) it would be annoying at 5' and barely usable at 8'.

If aquaberry is right and it really is 12, a little worse than that.
    Last edited by raduga; 11-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks

Texas Instruments: The best thing out of Texas since Ron Paul