Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Has Been Ported to iPhone 3GS

Default Siri Has Been Ported to iPhone 3GS

Developers are hard at work with porting Siri to older Apple devices.

Siri is Apple's newfound voice dictation software that currently runs on only the iPhone 4S. Many are anticipating the porting to older devices. Developers warn that doing this is piracy and some, including chpwn (Grant Paul) are are somewhat against releasing it because of that. That doesn't mean that it absolutely will not be released, though. Currently, the GUI is the only thing that people can get on their devices. There are numerous guides online that point you through the instructions, but the GUI offers no functionality, only looks. Developers have successfully managed to get Siri to work on older iDevices but the process to doing so is complicated and redundant. So instead, they are working on a hack to make it work easier for the end user. The release for Siri to older devices has no (if any) ETA and probably won't be released for a long time, if ever. Chances are that if they do choose to release it, they will wait until the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 is on its way.

Earlier today, Ryan Petrich tweeted that Siri has been successfully ported to the iPhone 3GS. The developers behind the port are Grant Paul and Steve Troughton-Smith. The hackers managed to successfully port Siri to an iPhone 4, an iPod touch 4G, and now the iPhone 3GS. Ryan Petrich attached a video to his tweet of Siri with working functionality from Youtube. It can be viewed below:

So that being said, we are ever so closer to possibly seeing Siri on our older iDevices. It's been proven that Siri can run on older hardware and that it's only been released on the iPhone 4S for Apple's marketing purposes. I wonder how Apple will react if Siri is successfully ported to older devices. Will they release an update to their servers, or iOS software that blocks it? Or will they sue for copyright infringement? Who knows. Only time will tell.

Are you excited for the Siri port? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Ryan Petrich
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-07-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This doesn't effect me (since I am a nerd/geek that always gets the newest model) but I am sure it is exciting for people with previous models of the phone. What does interest me is the potential legal implications of this port.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Again.. IDC Unless this is a guide on how to do it for myself.

Honestly I could care less. This is getting old now it's like dangling candy to a 2 year old. When it's released to the public which seems like it won't be then post this stuff until then what's the point......to tease you??? I don't care ifmthey can port to the 1st gen iPod ifmno release pointless for the end user!

Blah Blah Blah... All this hype and yet there is still NOTHING that has been released for public use so who cares

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's weird how you guys always shoot the messenger in these reports. Why not just ignore them? They are viable to some people who are interested in the progress of such things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    It's weird how you guys always shoot the messenger in these reports. Why not just ignore them? They are viable to some people who are interested in the progress of such things.
    Exactly.
    Thanks for posting an update Mr. Bouchard, I for one appreciate it.

If this was put out to the public it would give apple what they want!!! Ammo against jailbreaking and this time they will win!

Thanks

I totally understand why they wouldn't release it. As much as I'd love to have it I would live without.

these people don't understand that if they decide to release the port, violating apples copyright infringement. they could get the **** sued out of them. and your just sitting there while others are trying to please you by doing what you want.

Thanks

Siri is awesome patience is gold

If it was to come to older iPhones I think it will be a added extra that costs per year

Thanks

How much do you guys think this will cost?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Since this is indeed piracy to release to the public, why are so many developers working on it? I guess for their personal use?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

I think although it's obvious Apple wanted to sell a crapload of 4S's, if they had released Siri it to all idevices, their servers would not have been able to handle the load and melted, and everyone would be complaining. As it stands, Siri has already crash several times, with just the 4S's accessing the server. Maybe they need more time to get it out of Beta, and build a bunch more data servers...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

I heard some news that apple has had a trial run on older devices for apple employees but after the trial run, they have to erase it for it not to be leaked out. Hopefully, apple will consider releasing an update that will allow older devices to use Siri.

Thanks

@Szik: Hehe same. Sony vs Geohot *cough* I mean Apple vs Ryan P.

What I don't understand is why they can't just do this like they do the Jailbreak?Basically take and download the iOS firmware for the iPhone 4S from Apple's sever (last I checked this is freely available). Then have a piece of software that pulls out the Siri files from the firmware, patches them and installs the files on older iOS devices?Seems to me that would get around copyright laws, as you are legally obtaining the firmware (Apple doesn't require you to prove that you have an iPhone 4S to download the firmware) and all you are doing is taking files from it and patching them. I don't see how that would be any different than a jailbreak.

So if it's not released what is the point of the article? Is it even available on the iPhone 4?

it's not that doesn't work on the older devices, it's about connecting to apples servers. here is the thing. Lets use Yahoo as an example ( ha ha i know ) ... years ago you could only connect to yahoo's servers by using there chat client (messenger) however they found a way to reverse engineer the YMSG protocol and it was possible for 3rd party chat clients to connect to it. it's basically the same thing aside from the legal issues it will happen either from the DEVS or a 3rd party group/person.Finding away around the servers isn't a huge deal someone will figure it out. be patient or buy the 4s simple (server protocols were made to be reversed engineered ) :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast