+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Lock Your Apps From Devious Friends With Applocker!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] Lock Your Apps From Devious Friends With Applocker!

Want to have some personal app security for when your friends start playing on your iDevice?

Applocker is a tweak developed by Ori Kadosh or cjori as his Cydia alias. The point of this tweak is to be able to lock off certain apps temporarily. You will be able to select a certain handful of apps and choose to lock them off; as soon as you launch and unlock one of your locked apps, the rest of the apps that are locked off will become unlocked as well. So, consider this a secondary security measure for your passcode. If someone watches you enter it and learns how to get into your iPhone (even a friend for that matter), then you are pretty much at their mercy to what they choose to do until you get your iPhone back. This tweak will put down a second layer of security that will keep them from launching your specified apps even after the device is past the lock screen. The Cydia description of Applocker can be read below:

As explained, you can lock apps not only from your springboard but also from your multitasking app switcher. This means that even if you have apps running in the background you can still lock them from being opened. Applocker also allows you to lock the position of your apps on your springboard so that the person using it will not be able to move them around and confuse you. Not only that, you can also lock folders. Below are the settings for Applocker:

How do I lock a specific app?

To lock a specific app, open the Applocker settings and navigate to where it says, "Applications." From there you will see a list of applications with on and off switches next to them. Turning the app 'on' means that it will be locked. Turning the app 'off' means that it will be unlocked. If you go back to the main settings page for Applocker, you will see the option to invert your selection. What this will do is lock every app that you have turned off and unlock every app that you had turned on. This would be useful if you had all of them off and wanted to lock all of them quickly instead of going through and selecting all of them. Of course, this will only take effect if you have the, "Enabled" switch turned on.

How do I lock a specific folder?
    Under the folder locking prompt in the Applocker settings, you can enter the name of a specific folder to lock. Unfortunately, it looks like you can only lock one folder at a time. So make a good choice. Put all of the apps you don't want played with in one folder. One more thing – the name of the folder must be typed in verbatim. This includes caps sensitivity.

How do I lock apps on the springboard and in the app switcher?
    Simply toggle on the, "Springboard" and, "Multitasking Switcher" options under the heading, "Lock Launching apps from."

How do I lock the orientation of apps on my springboard?
    Simply toggle on the, "Enabled" option under the heading, "Layout Locking."

One of the other big features for the tweak is called session locking. With session locking enabled, you can set the device to lock apps until the correct password is entered. After that point, all apps will become unlocked. If you turn session locking off, then your apps will always be locked, no matter if you entered the correct password last time or not. So basically, you'll have to enter the password every time you want to do something that fights against whatever you locked off. Personally, I feel that session locking is the better way to go. That way you can quickly unlock the device when you're ready to use it and lock it back up again when you're done.

So when you turn on Applocker, what does it look like when you try enter an app? It looks like this:

Ori Kadosh has informed me that he plans to update the tweak to lock Notification Center objects as well. This will be released in an upcoming update!

Applocker:
    Developer: cjori
    Repo: Modmyi
    Verison: 1.5
    Price: 99

Grab it today, or enter the giveaway!

I was able to talk to Ori Kadosh via email and learn a little about him and the tweak he developed:

Anthony: Tell us in about a paragraph a little about yourself; include how you became a developer.
    Ori: I'm a high school student from Israel. I guess I became a developer when I found out that I want to create stuff. Most of what I've created was on a need basis (just like Applocker). I started learning when I was very young; long before the iPhone. I've made stuff on several different platforms using various languages. I started as a Flash (yes, Flash, the thing that the iPhone doesn't support) developer; I still love making flash games (even though I have some mixed feelings about the current status of flash).

Anthony: What was some of your motivation behind the tweak? Was there a story behind creating it?
    Ori: Actually, I owe my motivation to my dear friends; they just couldn't resist the urge to post embarrassing posts on my Facebook! I thought to myself, "alright, I have a jailbroken iPhone and a dollar, I'm sure there's a dead simple app locking solution in Cydia, right? Wrong." Everything was either overly complex or really expensive. I needed to fix that. So Applocker started as really simple app locking solution. Over the past two weeks that it's been out I've updated it to lock folders, lock the home screen layout (actually that was added with 1.5 which came out today), and lock sessions (unlock one app, everything gets unlocked until you lock your device, then everything gets relocked. Letting you 'multitask' between apps easily). I'm constantly updating it with more features.

Anthony: What are some previous tweaks or packages that you've created?
    Ori: To be honest, Applocker is my first package in Cydia. I'm kind of new in this field, but it's going great. Developing tweaks is really out of this world. Being able to modify Apple's code, what's cooler than that?

Anthony: Are you working on anything new?
    Ori: iPhone related? No. I have some ideas in my mind but they're not under development as of now. Though there's 'Modern Peg Solitaire' which is a flash game that is waiting to be released, but that's unrelated.

The Giveaway

Ori was generous enough to offer 10 giveaway copies of Applocker. Here's how to win:

Follow me @Geop0x
    Follow ModMyi @modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet – if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @Geop0x so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "Win a copy of Applocker."

Winners will be announced on Monday, November 7.

Good luck to all of you! If you like Applocker, leave a comment telling us why with your Twitter handle included in the comments to improve your chances of winning!

Sources: Ori Kadosh
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yay another lock app... And another article about it! Just get lockdown much more better and more settings

Thanks

With this, I hope my privacy could be hidden better.https://twitter.com/#!/Commandor

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm MMi has been having a lot of giveaways, no complaint here. I for one don't mind reading an article about a lock app, especially since I don't have one. I'm surprised to see it being only $.99. I could use an app like this, I'm always feeling nervous letting ppl use my iPhone, especially when they get curious. I try to limit their phone calls haha
    @DayumQuitPlayin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Yay another lock app... And another article about it! Just get lockdown much more better and more settings
    Your definitely right, except Lockdown Pro is not compatible with iOS 5. I dislike how you can't have the simple numberdial passcode, and anyone can go into settings and see your password.. Unless you lock your settings.app too, but i'd rather not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I will get this but i wish apple would have added something like this already on the iPhone iOS 5 or i hope they added on the next major update. I would like pass lock my photo album on the phone or any app I like in that case.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 11-06-2011 at 09:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Look up LOCKTOPUS on cydia, or LOCTOPUS.

its WAY better......... less menus, all you do is hold an icon down, until they "wiggle" and there is a "lock" button on the corner of each icon, just like the X button over apps.

THATS IT.

like this app but loctopus is better imo

Thanks

I'm going to win this one as well!

Mmaboi21

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    Look up LOCKTOPUS on cydia, or LOCTOPUS.

its WAY better......... less menus, all you do is hold an icon down, until they "wiggle" and there is a "lock" button on the corner of each icon, just like the X button over apps.

THATS IT.

like this app but loctopus is better imo
    yes locktopus is way better, no doubt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i hope to win! :-) https://twitter.com/#!/mrtax2005/sta...34971380658176 twitter @mrtax2005

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

As @thekirbylover, sometimes I, uh, need to keep code top secret. But don't tell anyone I said that.
    But on a serious note, all the other app locking tweaks I have tried are either buggy or not iPad compatible. Having this tweak around will make me sure that nobody's going to look through my emails.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The price for the privacy it offers is great! Although, a numeric passcode (similar to the passcode entry for unlocking an iDevice) would be a lot more efficient.. Twitter: xCrims0nx. Good luck to everyone!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xCrims0nx View Post
    The price for the privacy it offers is great! Although, a numeric passcode (similar to the passcode entry for unlocking an iDevice) would be a lot more efficient.. Twitter: xCrims0nx. Good luck to everyone!
    you can lock photo but you can access from camera preview, all your photo

Thanks

Lol I won again! Thanks bro! Both of y'all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What i want is to lock photo album!!! Whereas i can with this app but anyone can go in thru camera, what we need is another app to remove photo preview!!! If possible