Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iSpy Software Can Read the Text Message You're Typing From 200ft Away

Default iSpy Software Can Read the Text Message You're Typing From 200ft Away

Thought the only person who could read your text was the creep looking over your shoulder on the subway? Think again. A little program called iSpy can read what’s being typed on a smartphone from nearly 200ft away.

Created by Jan-Michael Frahm and Fabian Monrose from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the software is able to distinguish the letters being typed on a smartphone from about 200ft using HD footage captured from a DSLR. Using footage off a smartphone's camera limits the useful distance of capture to about 10 feet.

The software analyzes the footage by identifying those huge pop-up letters that have become so prevalent on touchscreen keyboards. This allows the software to know which key has been pressed. Sometimes pop ups overlap, but the program is reportedly 90% accurate when it comes to guessing, based on context, which letter was pressed if there is any overlap.

Turning one's back might not prevent those trying to spy on your texts from doing so, the software can even capture footage from reflections in windows or a persons glasses and successfully decode the texts. Somehow, I don’t see a mobile version of this software hitting the App Store any time soon. Invasions of privacy like this don’t tend to go over well unless the creators want to license it to government agencies. Hooray for Big Brother seeing everything I do.

Anyone have a text-disguise app they’d like to recommend or develop?

Source: NewScientist
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder how good this software is if someone is using swype.

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    I wonder how good this software is if someone is using swype.
    Yyaaaaaaaaawnnn... How I miss those "I'm a Mac" commercials. Are you a Mac or a Pc???
    Last edited by frjuan; 11-06-2011 at 07:20 PM.

SMS Thief from cydia captures any messages from iphones using same wifi. You either have to know IP or guess. Could modmyi do something about commenting using my iphone with tweetbot app. Damn, It's been months since it has allowed me to post a comment! I don't want your app either! Quit asking me every time I try to open a tweet!
    Last edited by kbcox0327; 11-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.

is this another reason to get contact lenses ?

cool

I can not acces Google right now. Is the server down or anyone having the same problem accessing google or is my Sh!t computer? hehe

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmmm......doesn't sound the greatest.

Thanks

Soo where can i get this....

Quote Originally Posted by khrisflohr View Post
    cool

I can not acces Google right now. Is the server down or anyone having the same problem accessing google or is my Sh!t computer? hehe
    It's your sh^& computer LOL!

You either have to know IP or guess. Could modmyi do something about commenting using my iphone with tweetbot app.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.